Whar are your salary requirements?

No.

Best thing I ever did was spill a little coffee while I was being interviewed. Just as it happened the guy asked me what some of my weaknesses were. And I replied "weaknesses!?" As if it was such an absurd question and I had none. They laughed and said hire him. Then I failed the drug test. Found out a week into the job.

Thank god I had another job starting the next week. I was going to call and turn down the second job but something told me I might not pass that drug test. The hr manager was on vacation and I made the assistant check her mail from the drug testing company. I was so embarrassed.

Dude, I'd give you my pee, but you will fail with or without it. Wont make much difference. I'm serious, though, say, "well how much do you make? HR managers LOVE bold good wit that is serious. You have to really sell it. It's all about your facial expressions. If you can say this and not smile or laugh you will get the highest salary they can offer you hands down. Because you just set the precedent not them.

I'm a business owner and I have never not gotten a job I have applied for prior to being a business owner and I'm talking big jobs at fortune 500 companies. They loved me so much they hired me on the spot. I grew up around business owners my whole life. Here's they key, but a very nice $100 white shirt with ironed black pants very nice kind silky, and put on a yellow tie of some sorts with a black sports jacket and you do this so you will stand out and be mistaken for a CEO or a very important person. Kill all your nerves in the interview and remember to put yourself in the owners shoes. Say you want to help (name the company) , because you believe you have the experience and knowledge to do so and remember everything you learned in school and everything on your resume and go over it many times on what you will say about each one and hammer the big ones home. Talk like you are already one of them or that you are better than them without saying so. When they ask you about salary say and I'm not joking - What do you make? They will LOVE this and laugh and it shows that you have high expectations and value yourself highly with great confidence. Employers love that. I would hire you on the spot if you had the balls to say that to me, because it shows that you value yourself highly and that you are prepared to earn that salary. Another question to throw at them is how much do you think a person with my degree and one of a kind work habit who will never complain, and is bold enough to ask for your salary is worth? Be serious.

I fucking blow away employers in interviews. I render them speechless. I had a female HR lady who interviewed me and i said half of this to her and she asked if I was serious, and I said mam I never lie about work or money. I was so serious when i said this she believed me and I was hired on the spot despite people waiting behind me. there was only 1 spot to give.

Do what i say if you are able and you'll get hired or they will find a better job for you.
That is actually good advice. I am impressed, JR.
I think he's the real deal. You don't make that advice up. All sounds real good down to looking like a pimp. I have the luxury of having a rich brother who gives me amazing hand me down suits just because people have seen him in that suit a few times. Its all brand new expensive shit been sitting in my closet. Last time I wore something was NY eve. I hate dressing up. Lol. But I'll look my best and make sure not to smoke
Too many holes in his story...usually means mildly successful but nothing of note. I could be wrong...don't really care to be honest with you...but his advice was spot on.
Yea he could be a total tool who's over confident and maybe has made up an alter ego of being so successful for fortune 500 companies and now owns a company. Basically suggesting he at least makes $200,000 or more a year is what I'm getting from his confkdence. He convinced me but I don't know him like you do so.... I'll go prepared well dressed and confidemt. I am the shit.
Either way, his advice is solid.

No.

Best thing I ever did was spill a little coffee while I was being interviewed. Just as it happened the guy asked me what some of my weaknesses were. And I replied "weaknesses!?" As if it was such an absurd question and I had none. They laughed and said hire him. Then I failed the drug test. Found out a week into the job.

Thank god I had another job starting the next week. I was going to call and turn down the second job but something told me I might not pass that drug test. The hr manager was on vacation and I made the assistant check her mail from the drug testing company. I was so embarrassed.

Dude, I'd give you my pee, but you will fail with or without it. Wont make much difference. I'm serious, though, say, "well how much do you make? HR managers LOVE bold good wit that is serious. You have to really sell it. It's all about your facial expressions. If you can say this and not smile or laugh you will get the highest salary they can offer you hands down. Because you just set the precedent not them.

I'm a business owner and I have never not gotten a job I have applied for prior to being a business owner and I'm talking big jobs at fortune 500 companies. They loved me so much they hired me on the spot. I grew up around business owners my whole life. Here's they key, but a very nice $100 white shirt with ironed black pants very nice kind silky, and put on a yellow tie of some sorts with a black sports jacket and you do this so you will stand out and be mistaken for a CEO or a very important person. Kill all your nerves in the interview and remember to put yourself in the owners shoes. Say you want to help (name the company) , because you believe you have the experience and knowledge to do so and remember everything you learned in school and everything on your resume and go over it many times on what you will say about each one and hammer the big ones home. Talk like you are already one of them or that you are better than them without saying so. When they ask you about salary say and I'm not joking - What do you make? They will LOVE this and laugh and it shows that you have high expectations and value yourself highly with great confidence. Employers love that. I would hire you on the spot if you had the balls to say that to me, because it shows that you value yourself highly and that you are prepared to earn that salary. Another question to throw at them is how much do you think a person with my degree and one of a kind work habit who will never complain, and is bold enough to ask for your salary is worth? Be serious.

I fucking blow away employers in interviews. I render them speechless. I had a female HR lady who interviewed me and i said half of this to her and she asked if I was serious, and I said mam I never lie about work or money. I was so serious when i said this she believed me and I was hired on the spot despite people waiting behind me. there was only 1 spot to give.

Do what i say if you are able and you'll get hired or they will find a better job for you.
I think he's the real deal. You don't make that advice up. All sounds real good down to looking like a pimp. I have the luxury of having a rich brother who gives me amazing hand me down suits just because people have seen him in that suit a few times. Its all brand new expensive shit been sitting in my closet. Last time I wore something was NY eve. I hate dressing up. Lol. But I'll look my best and make sure not to smoke
Too many holes in his story...usually means mildly successful but nothing of note. I could be wrong...don't really care to be honest with you...but his advice was spot on.
Yea he could be a total tool who's over confident and maybe has made up an alter ego of being so successful for fortune 500 companies and now owns a company. Basically suggesting he at least makes $200,000 or more a year is what I'm getting from his confkdence. He convinced me but I don't know him like you do so.... I'll go prepared well dressed and confidemt. I am the shit.

I make WAY more than that and it's 100% commissioned sales. If you are applying for a sales job you need to listen to the best sales man on this board. ;)

Is it a sales position?
Yes
If you are interviewing with the sales manager, he might ask you about the last book you read. Don't say Brokeback Mountain. Find a good book on sales and be able to talk about what it taught you. I suggest an oldie...How to Win Friends and Influence People by Dale Carnegie.

It's because I'm the most successful person of all you morons. If this guy fails getting this job due to a drug test he should be taken out back by his mother and beaten with a stick.
Most successful douchebag, maybe.

I'll take that as a compliment since most owners who are successful are douchebags. They get straight to the point and can't stand stupid shit, because they really have zero time for it.
I Even have the expensive shoes. My bro gives me stuff I would never buy myself. $200 shirts. Really nice ties. I don't even know where you buy this stuff. Certainly not kohls JC penny or lord n Taylor or Macy's. Lol

If it's sales white shirts mean you are being ernest, black pants, black shoes tip pointed are the best, make sure it's a yellow tie, and don't forget to wear a nice belt! Make sure you do your hair perfectly and nothing is sticking up IF you even have hair. BLACK SPORTS JACKET.
I wish I would have colored my hair two weeks ago. I don't want to chance a bad dye job and my salt n pepper makes me look mature? Lots of chicks love the grays. Damn it! Lol

Grey hair is fine! It shows experience. It will help you even more.

And be sure you continually try to close the deal...at least three trial closes and ask for the job in the end!

Is it a sales position?
Yes
If you are interviewing with the sales manager, he might ask you about the last book you read. Don't say Brokeback Mountain. Find a good book on sales and be able to talk about what it taught you. I suggest an oldie...How to Win Friends and Influence People by Dale Carnegie.

Read how to make queers straight. If this guy is older he'll love it. LOL! just kidding. Say you read one of Zig Ziglars books. He'll hire you just for saying that. Dead serious about that.

Is it a sales position?
Yes

Read how to make queers straight. If this guy is older he'll love it. LOL! just kidding. Say you read one of Zig Ziglars books. He'll hire you just for saying that.
Zig Ziglar is good.

Is it a sales position?
Yes

Read how to make queers straight. If this guy is older he'll love it. LOL! just kidding. Say you read one of Zig Ziglars books. He'll hire you just for saying that. Dead serious about that.
I've been to his seminar back in the day and didn't his kids take over?

Is it a sales position?
Yes

I've been to his seminar back in the day and didn't his kids take over?

Don't remember. This guys is awesome, though. :)

No.

If there are holes in my story please tell me and I will put an end to the people who don't know shit.
:lol: I dn't really care that much.

If there are holes in my story please tell me and I will put an end to the people who don't know shit.
:lol: I dn't really care that much.

Good. You are smart then. ;)

What do you say when a potential employer asks? What if they were gonna offer you more?
How is it that you can be in a job interview and NOT know what the salary range for that job is going to be?

Do you homework before you even receive the first call.

If you want the job, you should know at a minimum, the following things.

Is the company publicly traded?
What product or service does the company provide
How well did the company do last year.
How many legal issues has the company had in the past ten years.
Who is in charge of Human Resources
What is the salary range of the job you are applying for....i.e....if you are a .net programmer, then salary.com will provide you a range of salaries by region.....

If you want a job, you have to work for it.

I'm definately going to do my homework. Thanks for the tough love. You sound like my brother.
LOL

Actually, I'm going through a Human Resource Management class for My MBA right now. That is only a partial list of what can help you with interviews.

The bottom line should be this...

Know as much as you can find out about the company before you even receive the first phone call. To do that, keep a list of the those jobs you really want to have and have applied for near your phone, or in a place you can quickly access it. If you get a call, get the name of the company and the person calling you.

If you get an interview request and this is not an initial phone interview, go over what you know about the company....what job it was you were applying for and then ask yourself a few tough questions that the interview would ask you....

This is key.....Think behavior response to the questions...

This means the interview will ask you something of an open ended question on how you would deal with a problem that could arise on one of the tasks in the job your applying for. How would you trouble shoot that?

Never use no...and always state how you solved a similar problem in the past. If the past problem is not an exact match, use your troubleshooting response and try to show how it would be similar....

Remember....an interview is a conversation....not an opportunity to show off the latest interviewing talking points technique or how large your jargon vocabulary is.

Good luck.

Just get a union job and leave all the pesky salary negotiations and whatnot to your stewards and local, area, or regional managers, directors, secretaries, team leaders or other worthless members of the brotherhood you pay to belong to.

What do you say when a potential employer asks? What if they were gonna offer you more?
First, do some research to know what a reasonable salary. If this question is asked, offer a figure on the high end of what is reasonable. If the potential employer is truely interested, he will most likely make a counter offer. You can't haggle the salary up if you start with a low end figure. There is an art to negotiations such as this.

The interview went great. He all but said I got the job. The secret to a good interview is to get them talking about personal stuff so they aren't drilling you with the "so why did you leave here and here and what would you say your weaknesses are?" Bullshit. I just realized if they are asking you those questions it ain't going well. This guy was a classy guy from england. With my last name he told me all about his trips to Greece. I knew enough that he knew I did my homework.

He said call him Friday if he hasn't called sooner. He's got to fire the guy I'll be replacing. This guy does not want to fire him but he's just not working out. This place is 5 minutes from my home and a step up from what I'm doing now. I know that because I told him what my requirements were and he called me in. I can tell he really liked me and he's not a dick boss. Not everyone can do what I do and do it well. And if you pay me enough I'll be like "yo master what I got to do next?" Lol in other words I'll work my ass off.

Tell the interviewers what are your requirements, and let them know that will be re-evaluated in six months.

Fuck that. That's what my last boss did. They always want you to "show em what you got" before they give you a raise and they never gi
A lot of it has to do with the part of the country where the job is. I've lived and worked in 13 different states, and the pay scale for jobs vary according to location. For example, the pay scale for certain jobs is higher in New York City compared to the same job in rural Mississippi. Also, a lot has to do with experience, education, and the number of years that you've been doing that particular job. An industrial mechanic in Ohio makes more than the same job in South Carolina. A carpenter in southern California makes more than a carpenter in Alabama.

It never hurts to ask for what you want and what you expect. The employer may not agree, but at least you're not cheating yourself by asking for a lower wage than what you feel is fair. The employer will look at past pay history and see if you have been paid anywhere close to what you're asking. If you've been making $50,000 a year salary, and now you're asking for $90,000 a year salary, you may be asked to explain why you feel you should be making almost double what you were making.

In today's business environment, especially with the degree of competition looking for work, education and the number of years you've been doing a particular job weighs heavy. Always leave a job on good terms. You want positive feedback from past employers. Always let it be known that you're willing to take on more responsibility than what you've been doing, and it will increase your chances of getting what you ask for. The bottom line is to do a little research to find out what the going rate is before mentioning what salary you're expecting. Make sure that you're not completely out of the ball park when giving a pay range expected. And, never cheat yourself. Ask what is fair, and realize that what you have to offer has value.

One thing that seems unfair is to go off what I'm making now. Clearly if I'm looking I feel underpaid don't you think? I know a lot of guys who out of college found themselves making high salaries and my jobs are usually smaller salaries but commissions and bonus' are high. I don't want to do that anymore. I've got a lot of experience and am a helova worker. I should be making 6 figures not stuck in the 5s.

What you're suggesting is I make a lateral move. I want a better job not one just as good.

This is helping guys thanks.

Problem is I just sent them a letter saying I'd be interested in working close to home if they have anything I might be a good fit for and the boss said maybe what are your salary requirements.

I'll be honest they're probably a small automotive supplier but who knows what the job is or what it pays.

Anyways. This is why its good to have a job while looking. If they want me they'll offer me more.
Good luck. I wish you well. Just remember, there's a lot of competition looking for those premium jobs also. Don't price yourself out of the market. Best of luck. Let us know how it pans out for you.
He liked it that I took the initiative to write him. He said "how did you come across us?" I said I drove by and said to myself "I wonder if they could use a guy like me?"

I should be getting this job.

Tell the interviewers what are your requirements, and let them know that will be re-evaluated in six months.

Fuck that. That's what my last boss did. They always want you to "show em what you got" before they give you a raise and they never gi
A lot of it has to do with the part of the country where the job is. I've lived and worked in 13 different states, and the pay scale for jobs vary according to location. For example, the pay scale for certain jobs is higher in New York City compared to the same job in rural Mississippi. Also, a lot has to do with experience, education, and the number of years that you've been doing that particular job. An industrial mechanic in Ohio makes more than the same job in South Carolina. A carpenter in southern California makes more than a carpenter in Alabama.

It never hurts to ask for what you want and what you expect. The employer may not agree, but at least you're not cheating yourself by asking for a lower wage than what you feel is fair. The employer will look at past pay history and see if you have been paid anywhere close to what you're asking. If you've been making $50,000 a year salary, and now you're asking for $90,000 a year salary, you may be asked to explain why you feel you should be making almost double what you were making.

In today's business environment, especially with the degree of competition looking for work, education and the number of years you've been doing a particular job weighs heavy. Always leave a job on good terms. You want positive feedback from past employers. Always let it be known that you're willing to take on more responsibility than what you've been doing, and it will increase your chances of getting what you ask for. The bottom line is to do a little research to find out what the going rate is before mentioning what salary you're expecting. Make sure that you're not completely out of the ball park when giving a pay range expected. And, never cheat yourself. Ask what is fair, and realize that what you have to offer has value.

One thing that seems unfair is to go off what I'm making now. Clearly if I'm looking I feel underpaid don't you think? I know a lot of guys who out of college found themselves making high salaries and my jobs are usually smaller salaries but commissions and bonus' are high. I don't want to do that anymore. I've got a lot of experience and am a helova worker. I should be making 6 figures not stuck in the 5s.

What you're suggesting is I make a lateral move. I want a better job not one just as good.

This is helping guys thanks.

Problem is I just sent them a letter saying I'd be interested in working close to home if they have anything I might be a good fit for and the boss said maybe what are your salary requirements.

I'll be honest they're probably a small automotive supplier but who knows what the job is or what it pays.

Anyways. This is why its good to have a job while looking. If they want me they'll offer me more.
Good luck. I wish you well. Just remember, there's a lot of competition looking for those premium jobs also. Don't price yourself out of the market. Best of luck. Let us know how it pans out for you.
He liked it that I took the initiative to write him. He said "how did you come across us?" I said I drove by and said to myself "I wonder if they could use a guy like me?"

I should be getting this job.
Preliminary congrations to you!

Just get a union job and leave all the pesky salary negotiations and whatnot to your stewards and local, area, or regional managers, directors, secretaries, team leaders or other worthless members of the brotherhood you pay to belong to.

I've never been in a union. I've worked at many places that the workers would have if not for the fear of losing their jobs dummy. And the only reason you make so much is unions pulled everyones wages up. If the non union companies didn't pay more their employees might unionize. Or leave back when there were union jobs to be had. Now only ford and gm keep wages up. That and the fear we might unionize or revolt!

How is it that you can be in a job interview and NOT know what the salary range for that job is going to be?

Do you homework before you even receive the first call.

If you want the job, you should know at a minimum, the following things.

Is the company publicly traded?
What product or service does the company provide
How well did the company do last year.
How many legal issues has the company had in the past ten years.
Who is in charge of Human Resources
What is the salary range of the job you are applying for....i.e....if you are a .net programmer, then salary.com will provide you a range of salaries by region.....

If you want a job, you have to work for it.

I'm definately going to do my homework. Thanks for the tough love. You sound like my brother.
LOL

Actually, I'm going through a Human Resource Management class for My MBA right now. That is only a partial list of what can help you with interviews.

The bottom line should be this...

Know as much as you can find out about the company before you even receive the first phone call. To do that, keep a list of the those jobs you really want to have and have applied for near your phone, or in a place you can quickly access it. If you get a call, get the name of the company and the person calling you.

If you get an interview request and this is not an initial phone interview, go over what you know about the company....what job it was you were applying for and then ask yourself a few tough questions that the interview would ask you....

This is key.....Think behavior response to the questions...

This means the interview will ask you something of an open ended question on how you would deal with a problem that could arise on one of the tasks in the job your applying for. How would you trouble shoot that?

Never use no...and always state how you solved a similar problem in the past. If the past problem is not an exact match, use your troubleshooting response and try to show how it would be similar....

Remember....an interview is a conversation....not an opportunity to show off the latest interviewing talking points technique or how large your jargon vocabulary is.

Good luck.

Absolutely. But in this interview we hit it off and I think he was sold before I even met him. So good resume helped. And he admitted they can teach me the buzz words and the crm. All he needs is someone who works hard and gets results.

I hate all those questions like tell me a time when you overcame an obstical. I know you guys got to ask a few questions but interviews can really suck. Interviewers are really tough. This guy was the president of the company. He wants to know he likes you. The hr people don't have to work with us. Just fire us if we don't work out and be blamed if the persons a fool. Plus hr people see a lot of people at big companies. They don't get sociable if they interview a lot of people. This was hardly an interview more like let me tell you about us and tell me about you. I hope it works out.

Forum List

Back