We’ve created human-pig chimeras — but we haven’t weighed the ethics

Doc1

Gold Member
Jan 10, 2017
The Conspiratorium.
"I’m worried about a new paper in the journal Cell that details the creation of a human-pig chimera.

As a neuroscientist, I appreciate groundbreaking research at a purely scientific level and understand the hard work that goes into advances like this. But I also believe that science should be guided by ethics, and this work seems to be jumping ahead of ethical considerations.

In the new work, led by investigators at the Salk Institute, researchers injected days-old pig embryos with human pluripotent stem cells. By the time the fetal pigs were aborted, they had begun to grow partly human organs1.

We've created human-pig chimeras — but we haven't weighed the ethics

What could possibly go wrong?

Well, considering that pigs are pretty close to humans genetically, this could be some research that could lead to us being able to grow new and better organs for transplant, meaning that instead of waiting a long time, people could get help a lot quicker.

However..........the problem wouldn't really come ethically from just harvesting organs, the problem would be if they developed intelligence.

"I’m worried about a new paper in the journal Cell that details the creation of a human-pig chimera.

As a neuroscientist, I appreciate groundbreaking research at a purely scientific level and understand the hard work that goes into advances like this. But I also believe that science should be guided by ethics, and this work seems to be jumping ahead of ethical considerations.

In the new work, led by investigators at the Salk Institute, researchers injected days-old pig embryos with human pluripotent stem cells. By the time the fetal pigs were aborted, they had begun to grow partly human organs1.

Many people don't like all this bizarro stuff, it's just too disturbing and sinister.

What can possibly be of benefit to society from these freak chimeras? I can see no actual benefits.

Well, considering that pigs are pretty close to humans genetically, this could be some research that could lead to us being able to grow new and better organs for transplant, meaning that instead of waiting a long time, people could get help a lot quicker.

However..........the problem wouldn't really come ethically from just harvesting organs, the problem would be if they developed intelligence.

Yes but do we actually want to travel this road, it could lead to the slippery slope.

Yes but do we actually want to travel this road, it could lead to the slippery slope.

Like I said, pigs are pretty close to us genetically, that is why we currently use some of their organs for transplant. If they are able to grow other organs that can be used by humans, that would be a huge leap forward medically.

And, I really kinda doubt that they are going to do any work that is going to increase their intelligence. They just want them for medical research.

Like I said, pigs are pretty close to us genetically, that is why we currently use some of their organs for transplant. If they are able to grow other organs that can be used by humans, that would be a huge leap forward medically.

And, I really kinda doubt that they are going to do any work that is going to increase their intelligence. They just want them for medical research.

Well I agree, just as long as there are going to be no Mad Scientists Going Rogue out there.

Many people don't like all this bizarro stuff, it's just too disturbing and sinister.

What can possibly be of benefit to society from these freak chimeras? I can see no actual benefits.

From the little I've read, this is about being able to do research without risking human life or needing organs from humans, as well as growing organs in pigs which are to be used for transplant in humans.

I've heard doing this can create all types of weird disease, but they probably won't be seen until this is as popular as lets say IVF. What ever weird bs coms out at first we can bet they will cover it up.

Look the tech. we are seeing today we have had for decades already, it just gets advertised as " Oh look a such and such " just found the way to make a baby in a dish, oh look we can now create sperm with out a man...

There is tech. out there the public isn't even aware of yet.

upload_2017-2-6_13-46-40.png

The dangers of ‘splicing and dicing’: on the use of chimeric transcriptional activators in vitro (PDF Download Available)

You know, when they first cloned Dolly the sheep, there was a huge outcry about the ethics of cloning and how it could lead to deep moral issues.

Well, apparently they thought quite a bit about it, because the moral crisis that was predicted when cloning first started never happened.

I'm pretty sure that moral issues have already been looked at and addressed, probably under the same framework that Dolly was.

GENETIC GENOCIDE: HUMANITY’S GREATEST THREAT
Pandora’s Box has surely been opened. A dangerous genetic experiment has come out of the shadows, and the human-animal hybrids, chimeras and other transgenic clones it has yielded now threaten to endanger and irrevocably alter life as we know it.

Genetic Genocide: Humanity’s Greatest Threat

it's been going on for a loong time this article is from 2011 as many who poke fun at infowars , they fail to realize all the shit we get now is always proven by going back in time where he warned people the shit being done just as today they poked and made fun , ............and oh look someone post an article on the very subject he talked about in 2011 But again nobody paid attention because OMFG it's infowars.

Here's a little secret nobody has to know on here you went to read up on it over there. There are a few videos on the subjected you posted and the link I provided. :biggrin:

You know, when they first cloned Dolly the sheep, there was a huge outcry about the ethics of cloning and how it could lead to deep moral issues.

Well, apparently they thought quite a bit about it, because the moral crisis that was predicted when cloning first started never happened.

I'm pretty sure that moral issues have already been looked at and addressed, probably under the same framework that Dolly was.

It will always be sold to the public as they want it sold to the public. It's like saying hey everybody on the bridge is jumping so I will too.
Science is big, big money just like big pharma etc. They will always cell this unethical bs as a mean to omg save humanity, or oh look it will help parents have babies... BS there is more behind these lies .

When there are billions to be made oh they will do anything.

You know, I saw an Alex Jones interview on VICE news, and he even claimed that he's in it for the shock value and the showmanship over journalistic integrity.

He even claimed that Russian news papers are somehow more "free" than news agencies over here in America, even though in Russia the state controls the media.

Nope, sorry, but anything that comes from Alex Jones and Infowars is suspect in my opinion.

It will always be sold to the public as they want it sold to the public. It's like saying hey everybody on the bridge is jumping so I will too.
Science is big, big money just like big pharma etc. They will always cell this unethical bs as a mean to omg save humanity, or oh look it will help parents have babies... BS there is more behind these lies .

How is it like saying that everybody on the bridge is jumping so I will too?

Well yes but they'll have to do better than Dolly The Sheep, she died earlier than they expected from a lung cancer called Jaagsiekte which is caused by the retrovirus JSRV which is prevalent in sheep.

The scientists involved in cloning Dolly The Sheep didn't think there was a connection with her being cloned, that other sheep in the same flock had also died of Jaagsiekte, but that disease is especially contagious for sheep who are kept in an inside enclosure and for what they termed security reasons DollyThe Sheep had to sleep indoors.

Jaagsiekte - Wikipedia

Jaagsiekte sheep retrovirus - Wikipedia

You know, I saw an Alex Jones interview on VICE news, and he even claimed that he's in it for the shock value and the showmanship over journalistic integrity.

He even claimed that Russian news papers are somehow more "free" than news agencies over here in America, even though in Russia the state controls the media.

Nope, sorry, but anything that comes from Alex Jones and Infowars is suspect in my opinion.

That' sad , because once again take the time to research it. Vice just had alex on the show a few weeks ago. but oh well. You can only wake ppl up so much.

Those who don't want to research it lose out.

Ok , First point " The Scientist of this project" says how great and grand this will be. Right? Ok so the more people they con, the more that will believe this is so great.
The more they get on board with that idea the easier it becomes to make others believe it. ....
So now you have an entire bridge full of people saying how great and grand it is to screw with human DNA...

Then you have two people who are on that bridge and they don't believe the same theory.

Do you think those two people are going to jump off that bridge with the others who did just because the numbers are higher in those who jumped.. Keeping in mind they only think this is great because they were " SOLD THE IDEA" .........

Well yes but they'll have to do better than Dolly The Sheep, she died earlier than they expected from a lung cancer called Jaagsiekte which is caused by the retrovirus JSRV which is prevalent in sheep.

The scientists involved in cloning Dolly The Sheep didn't think there was a connection with her being cloned, that other sheep in the same flock had also died of Jaagsiekte, but that disease is especially contagious for sheep who are kept in an inside enclosure and for what they termed security reasons DollyThe Sheep had to sleep indoors.

Jaagsiekte - Wikipedia

Jaagsiekte sheep retrovirus - Wikipedia

I thought we were discussing the moral issues, not the scientific ones. And, I said that when Dolly the sheep first showed up, there was a hue and cry about the morality of cloning. The scientists got together to figure out how to handle the new technology so that they could put rules on how and when cloning should be done.

The framework for the morality of Dolly is already in place, and as far as the morality questions for this technology, well, it will probably be handled under the same moral framework as what they came up with for Dolly.

Ok , First point " The Scientist of this project" says how great and grand this will be. Right? Ok so the more people they con, the more that will believe this is so great.
The more they get on board with that idea the easier it becomes to make others believe it. ....
So now you have an entire bridge full of people saying how great and grand it is to screw with human DNA...

Then you have two people who are on that bridge and they don't believe the same theory.

Do you think those two people are going to jump off that bridge with the others who did just because the numbers are higher in those who jumped.. Keeping in mind they only think this is great because they were " SOLD THE IDEA" .........

Your example makes no sense.

Forum List

Back