CDZ Were pursuit and killing of Ahmaud Arbery 'perfectly legal'? It's not that simple.

I've walked around outside my condo with my 9mm. If you ran at me and try and take the gun from me... I will shoot you.

Moving on.

what if i am black

and jogging

and you and a buddy of yours approach me, threateningly, with shot guns....

and you decide, without any evidence, without any trial, that i am a criminal ....

I then become "afraid for my life" and decide to "stand my ground".....

do you still have a right to commit murder?

you cons keep saying "fkn liberals are all rushing to judgment"

yet you ignore these 2 murderers for the same fkn crime.

making YOU and typical conservatives murderous human scum
nice story,,to bad it didnt happen that way because instead of standing his ground he ran over 100 feet and attacked another person that just happened to have a gun,,,

and its not been proven he was jogging,,,

Except the McMichaels were the ones chasing him before the confrontation it has been reported.

I just heard earlier on the news today that one of them called 911 to report something at the construction site two weeks prior to the shooting so it sounds as if they may have targeted him (I've always wondered why there was someone following the action & video-taping). Also the loss of his arrest powers may have factored into why McMichaels was so gung ho to attempt a "citizen's" arrest - he screwed even that one up.

I'm at a loss here, Mariyam. Why would anyone of a sane mind have to ask whether what was an obvious lynching was "perfectly legal"?
Because it appears that at least 85% of this board believes it was perfectly legal to attempt to detain someone at gun point, after chasing them down and then when the situation which was of their own making goes sideways, to shoot and kill the person they just intimidated and provoked with their firearm(s).

Except the McMichaels were the ones chasing him before the confrontation it has been reported.

I just heard earlier on the news today that one of them called 911 to report something at the construction site two weeks prior to the shooting so it sounds as if they may have targeted him (I've always wondered why there was someone following the action & video-taping). Also the loss of his arrest powers may have factored into why McMichaels was so gung ho to attempt a "citizen's" arrest - he screwed even that one up.

I'm at a loss here, Mariyam. Why would anyone of a sane mind have to ask whether what was an obvious lynching was "perfectly legal"?
Because it appears that at least 85% of this board believes it was perfectly legal to attempt to detain someone at gun point, after chasing them down and then when the situation which was of their own making goes sideways, to shoot and kill the person they just intimidated and provoked with their firearm(s).
youre leaving a lot out of it in this depiction of events,,,,

I've walked around outside my condo with my 9mm. If you ran at me and try and take the gun from me... I will shoot you.

Moving on.

what if i am black

and jogging

and you and a buddy of yours approach me, threateningly, with shot guns....

and you decide, without any evidence, without any trial, that i am a criminal ....

I then become "afraid for my life" and decide to "stand my ground".....

do you still have a right to commit murder?

you cons keep saying "fkn liberals are all rushing to judgment"

yet you ignore these 2 murderers for the same fkn crime.

making YOU and typical conservatives murderous human scum
nice story,,to bad it didnt happen that way because instead of standing his ground he ran over 100 feet and attacked another person that just happened to have a gun,,,

and its not been proven he was jogging,,,
What are you talking about 100 feet?!? From the video you could see Travis McMichael standing on the driver side of the pickup apparently holding the shotgun. As Arbery approaches the truck and presumably sees him standing there with a weapon, he abruptly alters his path and instead of passing the truck on the driver side which will put him in close proximity of the man with the weapon he instead opts to pass the vehicle to the right.

Since we can't see what happened or what Arbery saw as he rounded the front end of the vehicle we can only surmise based on what we can see that this is when he first ended up face to face with an armed Travis McMichael who could not have been any less than 3 to 6 feet from him.

Last edited:
If I hear something unusual outside in the night and I go out to investigate...I have my gun in my hand. I walk around and check things with a gun in my hand.

I can't call the Sheriff every time I hear a strange noise...but there are nights I may have a half a million dollars in portable equipment or materials parked out front.

What would you do?
But if you're on your own property that's different as if rightfully should be in my opinion. However the point is that legally, one is not allowed to shoot and kill a person to protect property, only life, and this comment is not directed towards you specifically, but the others who believe it's just to run down and shoot someone due to an alleged property crime, and in the Abery case one that they themselves didn't witness nor did the property belong to them.

Maybe they were just still pissed off about the theft of the firearm that was stolen from their unlocked vehicle, which is a very irresponsible thing to do.

If I hear something unusual outside in the night and I go out to investigate...I have my gun in my hand. I walk around and check things with a gun in my hand.

I can't call the Sheriff every time I hear a strange noise...but there are nights I may have a half a million dollars in portable equipment or materials parked out front.

What would you do?
But if you're on your own property that's different as if rightfully should be in my opinion. However the point is that legally, one is not allowed to shoot and kill a person to protect property, only life, and this comment is not directed towards you specifically, but the others who believe it's just to run down and shoot someone due to an alleged property crime, and in the Abery case one that they themselves didn't witness nor did the property belong to them.

Maybe they were just still pissed off about the theft of the firearm that was stolen from their unlocked vehicle, which is a very irresponsible thing to do.
they didnt shoot him to protect property,,,

Moving on.
Two questions:
1. When you're walking around your condo with your 9mm is it holstered or in your hand?
2. If someone rushed you, how would you know that they wanted your gun?

Hand. I don't own a holster.

Most people don't reach for a weapon in your hand, if they are trying to swat a bug off your clothing.

Kind of a dumb question. You are asking that as if a person could be holding something in their hand, and somehow not know if another person is trying to take it.
More questions:
1. Do you live in an open carry state and if it's not too personal, which state?
2. So when you're walking around your condo with your weapon in your hand, are you on your own property or in a common area that is accessible and used by other people who live in the community?
here in the USA its legal in all states because of the 2nd amendment,,,
Yes however how you keep & bear arms is regulated at the state level
And you're in Missouri?
I'm everywhere. Right now I'm in Kansas. Tomorrow I'll be in Illinois. Yesterday I was in Texas and Oklahoma. What difference does that make?
Because gun laws are regulated (lesgislated) at the state level.

Are either of you concealed carry holders?
not in this country,,,although democrats and republicans have got away with it because they are more willing to kill people that resist them,,,
at least for now,,,
I don't know what you mean by this. Do you not live in the United States? I'm only familiar with U.S. firearm laws.

As far as people being more willing to kill than resist, it all depends.
are you familiar with what we call the 2nd amendment???
Who is we?

"In order to ensure a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed" - I didn't Google this so I'm not sure I got it exactly right but it should be close.

Are you familiar with SCOTUS, the Supreme Court of the United States whose job it is to "explain" what the U.S. Constitution says and means, including the 2nd amendment?

Moving on.
Two questions:
1. When you're walking around your condo with your 9mm is it holstered or in your hand?

Most people don't reach for a weapon in your hand, if they are trying to swat a bug off your clothing.

Kind of a dumb question. You are asking that as if a person could be holding something in their hand, and somehow not know if another person is trying to take it.
More questions:
1. Do you live in an open carry state and if it's not too personal, which state?
2. So when you're walking around your condo with your weapon in your hand, are you on your own property or in a common area that is accessible and used by other people who live in the community?
And you're in Missouri?
I'm everywhere. Right now I'm in Kansas. Tomorrow I'll be in Illinois. Yesterday I was in Texas and Oklahoma. What difference does that make?

not in this country,,,although democrats and republicans have got away with it because they are more willing to kill people that resist them,,,
at least for now,,,
I don't know what you mean by this. Do you not live in the United States? I'm only familiar with U.S. firearm laws.

Who is we?

"In order to ensure a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed" - I didn't Google this so I'm not sure I got it exactly right but it should be close.

Are you familiar with SCOTUS, the Supreme Court of the United States whose job it is to "explain" what the U.S. Constitution says and means, including the 2nd amendment?
sorry I thought you were an american,,,

yes I know of the SCOTUS opinion,,,and remember its an opinion that can be changed later,,,but I dont need them to read simple english,,,

What would you do?

They initiated an armed confrontation with him due to an alleged property crime.

One of the things they teach you when you train for a concealed carry permit is that lawfully you cannot pick a fight with someone or taunt/antagonize them in order to get them to come at you so that you can then shoot them and claim you were acting in self-defense.

They teach a lot of other things regarding the lawful use of your weapon, when you can lawfully draw, shoot, etc. because they don't want you to do something out of ignorance that causes someone to lose their life and the CCW holder to lose their freedom/life even if they survive the encounter than caused them to have to shoot.

What would you do?

They initiated an armed confrontation with him due to an alleged property crime.

One of the things they teach you when you train for a concealed carry permit is that lawfully you cannot pick a fight with someone or taunt/antagonize them in order to get them to come at you so that you can then shoot them and claim you were acting in self-defense.

They teach a lot of other things regarding the lawful use of your weapon, when you can lawfully draw, shoot, etc. because they don't want you to do something out of ignorance that causes someone to lose their life and the CCW holder to lose their freedom/life even if they survive the encounter than caused them to have to shoot.
if only arbrey didnt attack them and get killed he could sue them for something,,,,

Moving on.
Two questions:

More questions:
And you're in Missouri?

at least for now,,,

Who is we?

yes I know of the SCOTUS opinion,,,and remember its an opinion that can be changed later,,,but I dont need them to read simple english,,,
So you were intentionally insulting me when you asked if I were familiar with the 2nd Amendment by pretending to believe I am not American? No offense taken, I get that reaction a lot from guys when they find out I'm not a stupid as they thought.

SCOTUS decisions are the ultimate law of the land, they cannot be changed that is why the 14th Amendment was required to address the damage done by the landmark SCOTUS descision in the Dred Scott case which determined people of African descent were not citizens of the United States and therefore were not entitled to any of the protections provided by the U.S. Constitution.

The fact that you keep reverting back to the 2nd Amendment as the only authority that you need is a perfect example of what I was alluding to in my OP, that it's rarely simply one law that determines the legality of a case.

Honestly, how would you get the gun to your car, to take it to get repaired, or to a shooting range, if you are not allowed to conceal and carry, and you are not allowed to open carry?
Tranport laws. Even the grossly restrictive state of California allows you to "transport" a firearm to the range, gunsmith, airport by following the tranport laws.

How many of your neighbors carrying weapons around in their hands in the common areas of the your condo community are not white?

Moving on.
Two questions:

More questions:
And you're in Missouri?

at least for now,,,

Who is we?

So you were intentionally insulting me when you asked if I were familiar with the 2nd Amendment by pretending to believe I am not American? No offense taken, I get that reaction a lot from guys when they find out I'm not a stupid as they thought.

SCOTUS decisions are the ultimate law of the land, they cannot be changed that is why the 14th Amendment was required to address the damage done by the landmark SCOTUS descision in the Dred Scott case which determined people of African descent were not citizens of the United States and therefore were not entitled to any of the protections provided by the U.S. Constitution.

The fact that you keep reverting back to the 2nd Amendment as the only authority that you need is a perfect example of what I was alluding to in my OP, that it's rarely simply one law that determines the legality of a case.
scotus doesnt make law,,,they can only rule if a law is constitutional with an opinion that can later be changed,,,

and the 2nd is not a law its a right that the government has no say in and is sworn to protect,,,

Moving on.
You are right. But if you chase somebody without cause, waving your gun, and they try to take it away and you kill them, you will be going to prison for a long time.

Your scenario has nothing to do with the situation being discussed.

Moving on.
Two questions:
I walk around outside with a gun in my hand. If you attack me...since I have a gun...I have no choice but to shoot you, because I have a gun and I can't allow you to take it from me.

P.S. - these guys are going to walk for the same reason.
We will see, but I don't think so. A lot of people thought that dip-poo in Florida who shot the guy in the parking lot after being pushed was going to walk, citing their interpretation of self-defense law, and the initial hesitation to prosecute. And he is prison.

Can't believe some people are that paranoid they walk around with a gun in their hand.
You haven't asked the circumstances.
None were given. Sounds like it's a regular thing.
There is a park near where I live and found out that I need to be packing.
Seems that it's a drug haven for the meth heads.
Before I found this out, my wife and I were being set up by 3 teenagers.
If not for a jogger coming by and stopping at that moment, there would have been an issue.
Now when we go to the park, I have a .357 on my side

Thanks for the clarification. For a second I was in doubt as to your view.

Moving on.
Two questions:

More questions:
And you're in Missouri?

at least for now,,,

Who is we?

scotus doesnt make law,,,they can only rule if a law is constitutional with an opinion that can later be changed,,,

and the 2nd is not a law its a right that the government has no say in and is sworn to protect,,,
I know what the second amendment is, it's part of the Bill of Rights which are the first ten amendments to the U.S. Constitution which enumerates the rights of "the People of the United States" which the government is prohibited from infringing upon.

And I know I never claimed that SCOTUS makes laws, the laws I'm referring to are the ones you correctly mentioned have to be "constitutional" such as what was determined in the Heller and MacDonld decisions which clarified that the right to keep & bear arms is a personal right and not a right reserved to the states as in a milita.
District of Columbia v. Heller, 554 U.S. 570 (2008), is a landmark case in which the Supreme Court of the United States held that the Second Amendment protects an individual's right to keep and bear arms, unconnected with service in a militia, for traditionally lawful purposes, such as self-defense within the home, and that the District of Columbia's handgun ban and requirement that lawfully owned rifles and shotguns be kept "unloaded and disassembled or bound by a trigger lock" violated this guarantee.[1] It also stated that the right to bear arms is not unlimited and that guns and gun ownership would continue to be regulated. It was the first Supreme Court case to decide whether the Second Amendment protects an individual right to keep and bear arms for self-defense or if the right was intended for state militias.[2]
District of Columbia v. Heller - Wikipedia

McDonald v. Chicago, 561 U.S. 742 (2010), is a landmark[1] decision of the Supreme Court of the United States that found that the right of an individual to "keep and bear arms," as protected under the Second Amendment, is incorporated by either the Due Process Clause or Privileges or Immunities Clause of the Fourteenth Amendment and is thereby enforceable against the states. The decision cleared up the uncertainty left in the wake of District of Columbia v. Heller as to the scope of gun rights in regard to the states.

Initially the Court of Appeals for the Seventh Circuit had upheld a Chicago ordinance banning the possession of handguns as well as other gun regulations affecting rifles and shotguns, citing United States v. Cruikshank, Presser v. Illinois, and Miller v. Texas.[2] The petition for certiorari was filed by Alan Gura, the attorney who had successfully argued Heller, and Chicago-area attorney David G. Sigale.[3] The Second Amendment Foundation and the Illinois State Rifle Association sponsored the litigation on behalf of several Chicago residents, including retiree Otis McDonald.

The oral arguments took place on March 2, 2010.[4][5] On June 28, 2010, the Supreme Court, in a 5–4 decision, reversed the Seventh Circuit's decision, holding that the Second Amendment was incorporated under the Fourteenth Amendment thus protecting those rights from infringement by state and local governments.[6] It then remanded the case back to Seventh Circuit to resolve conflicts between certain Chicago gun restrictions and the Second Amendment.
McDonald v. City of Chicago - Wikipedia

And I know I never claimed that SCOTUS makes laws, the laws I'm referring to are the ones you correctly mentioned have to be "constitutional" such as what was determined in the Heller and MacDonld decisions which clarified that the right to keep & bear arms is a personal right and not a right reserved to the states as in a milita.

Funny how when the USSC rules in favour of gun lovers suddenly it;s doing a great job.

Forum List

Back