CDZ Were pursuit and killing of Ahmaud Arbery 'perfectly legal'? It's not that simple.

NewsVine_Mariyam

Platinum Member
Mar 3, 2018
The Beautiful Pacific Northwest
You generally can tell the level of crital thinking ability a person has when they're unable to grasp the concept that a single law rarely is the end-all be-all of a case. I've seen many US Message Board members insisting that this case is strictly a "self-defense" case without taking into consideration how and why the confrontation occurred, including the events which put the armed McMichaels on that road to begin with.

Oh and just for the record, it seems that while working as a law enforcement officer, McMichaels lost his "powers of arrest" for several years due to him failing to complete mandated basic police training: Retired DA investigator accused in Ahmaud Arbery’s death worked for years without arrest powers

May 13, 2020, 11:58 AM PDT
By Erik Ortiz

The killing of Ahmaud Arbery, a black man who his family says was out for a jog when two white men followed and shot him, has put a sharp focus on open carry, citizen's arrest and "stand your ground" laws — and when claims of self-defense rightfully apply.
Legal experts and lawyers familiar with laws in Georgia, where the altercation on the afternoon of Feb. 23 escalated near the coastal gateway community of Brunswick, said the prosecution's case may hinge on cellphone video that was leaked publicly on social media last week, provoking a national outcry.

Ahmaud Arbery shooting: A timeline of the case
The video appears to show Arbery's final moments during a fight on a two-lane residential street in the Satilla Shores subdivision. The Georgia Bureau of Investigation followed up its review with the arrest Thursday of Gregory McMichael, 64, and his son Travis, 34, on charges of felony murder and aggravated assault. It's unclear whether the McMichaels have an attorney.

"I've never seen a video create so much of a public stir as this one has," said Ronald Carlson, a professor emeritus at the University of Georgia School of Law.

A newly appointed district attorney is preparing to present evidence to a grand jury. As the case unfolds, Carlson said, it will be up to prosecutors to make it clear who initiated the incident, who was the aggressor and whether the McMichaels' actions were unreasonable and unjustified under the law.

Previous prosecutor defends actions
The first district attorney in the case, Jackie Johnson of the Brunswick Judicial Circuit, had to recuse herself because Gregory McMichael, a former Glynn County police officer, was an investigator in her office until he retired a year ago.
In the weeks after the shooting, a second district attorney assigned to the case, George Barnhill of the Waycross Judicial Circuit, declined to pursue charges. He wrote in April that there was no probable cause to issue arrest warrants, and he later recused himself because of a conflict of interest. (The new prosecutor, District Attorney Joyette Holmes of the Cobb County Judicial Circuit, hails from metro Atlanta, a few hours away.)
Barnhill wrote to a Glynn County police captain that the McMichaels had "first hand probable cause" to pursue Arbery and that they had told police that they believed he was a "burglary suspect" in their neighborhood.
"It appears their intent was to stop and hold this criminal suspect until law enforcement arrived," Barnhill wrote. "Under Georgia Law this is perfectly legal."

Pursuit and killing of Ahmaud Arbery were "perfectly legal," prosecutor said. It's not that simple.

You generally can tell the level of crital thinking ability a person has when they're unable to grasp the concept that a single law rarely is the end-all be-all of a case. I've seen many US Message Board members insisting that this case is strictly a "self-defense" case without taking into consideration how and why the confrontation occurred, including the events which put the armed McMichaels on that road to begin with.

Oh and just for the record, it seems that while working as a law enforcement officer, McMichaels lost his "powers of arrest" for several years due to him failing to complete mandated basic police training: Retired DA investigator accused in Ahmaud Arbery’s death worked for years without arrest powers

By Erik Ortiz

The killing of Ahmaud Arbery, a black man who his family says was out for a jog when two white men followed and shot him, has put a sharp focus on open carry, citizen's arrest and "stand your ground" laws — and when claims of self-defense rightfully apply.
Legal experts and lawyers familiar with laws in Georgia, where the altercation on the afternoon of Feb. 23 escalated near the coastal gateway community of Brunswick, said the prosecution's case may hinge on cellphone video that was leaked publicly on social media last week, provoking a national outcry.

The video appears to show Arbery's final moments during a fight on a two-lane residential street in the Satilla Shores subdivision. The Georgia Bureau of Investigation followed up its review with the arrest Thursday of Gregory McMichael, 64, and his son Travis, 34, on charges of felony murder and aggravated assault. It's unclear whether the McMichaels have an attorney.

"I've never seen a video create so much of a public stir as this one has," said Ronald Carlson, a professor emeritus at the University of Georgia School of Law.

A newly appointed district attorney is preparing to present evidence to a grand jury. As the case unfolds, Carlson said, it will be up to prosecutors to make it clear who initiated the incident, who was the aggressor and whether the McMichaels' actions were unreasonable and unjustified under the law.

The first district attorney in the case, Jackie Johnson of the Brunswick Judicial Circuit, had to recuse herself because Gregory McMichael, a former Glynn County police officer, was an investigator in her office until he retired a year ago.
In the weeks after the shooting, a second district attorney assigned to the case, George Barnhill of the Waycross Judicial Circuit, declined to pursue charges. He wrote in April that there was no probable cause to issue arrest warrants, and he later recused himself because of a conflict of interest. (The new prosecutor, District Attorney Joyette Holmes of the Cobb County Judicial Circuit, hails from metro Atlanta, a few hours away.)
Barnhill wrote to a Glynn County police captain that the McMichaels had "first hand probable cause" to pursue Arbery and that they had told police that they believed he was a "burglary suspect" in their neighborhood.
"It appears their intent was to stop and hold this criminal suspect until law enforcement arrived," Barnhill wrote. "Under Georgia Law this is perfectly legal."

Pursuit and killing of Ahmaud Arbery were "perfectly legal," prosecutor said. It's not that simple.
to bad this will be shut down in 5-4-3-2

By Erik Ortiz

Why?

By Erik Ortiz

Why?
because theres already to many threads on this,,,

I've walked around outside my condo with my 9mm. If you ran at me and try and take the gun from me... I will shoot you.

Moving on.
Two questions:
1. When you're walking around your condo with your 9mm is it holstered or in your hand?
2. If someone rushed you, how would you know that they wanted your gun?

Hand. I don't own a holster.

Most people don't reach for a weapon in your hand, if they are trying to swat a bug off your clothing.

Kind of a dumb question. You are asking that as if a person could be holding something in their hand, and somehow not know if another person is trying to take it.

I've walked around outside my condo with my 9mm. If you ran at me and try and take the gun from me... I will shoot you.

Moving on.
Two questions:
1. When you're walking around your condo with your 9mm is it holstered or in your hand?
I walk around outside with a gun in my hand. If you attack me...since I have a gun...I have no choice but to shoot you, because I have a gun and I can't allow you to take it from me.

P.S. - these guys are going to walk for the same reason.

Moving on.
Two questions:

Most people don't reach for a weapon in your hand, if they are trying to swat a bug off your clothing.

Kind of a dumb question. You are asking that as if a person could be holding something in their hand, and somehow not know if another person is trying to take it.
More questions:
1. Do you live in an open carry state and if it's not too personal, which state?
2. So when you're walking around your condo with your weapon in your hand, are you on your own property or in a common area that is accessible and used by other people who live in the community?

Moving on.
Two questions:
I walk around outside with a gun in my hand. If you attack me...since I have a gun...I have no choice but to shoot you, because I have a gun and I can't allow you to take it from me.

P.S. - these guys are going to walk for the same reason.
And you're in Missouri?

Moving on.
Two questions:

More questions:
1. Do you live in an open carry state and if it's not too personal, which state?
2. So when you're walking around your condo with your weapon in your hand, are you on your own property or in a common area that is accessible and used by other people who live in the community?
here in the USA its legal in all states because of the 2nd amendment,,,

By Erik Ortiz

Why?
because theres already to many threads on this,,,
Oh okay. This article is a legal analysis of the case so it hadn't occurred to me that it might be considered the same old same old.

Thanks for the heads up though.

Moving on.
Two questions:

More questions:
Yes however how you keep & bear arms is regulated at the state level
And you're in Missouri?
I'm everywhere. Right now I'm in Kansas. Tomorrow I'll be in Illinois. Yesterday I was in Texas and Oklahoma. What difference does that make?
Because gun laws are regulated (lesgislated) at the state level.

Are either of you concealed carry holders?

Moving on.
Two questions:

More questions:
Yes however how you keep & bear arms is regulated at the state level
And you're in Missouri?
I'm everywhere. Right now I'm in Kansas. Tomorrow I'll be in Illinois. Yesterday I was in Texas and Oklahoma. What difference does that make?
Because gun laws are regulated (lesgislated) at the state level.

Are either of you concealed carry holders?
not in this country,,,although democrats and republicans have got away with it because they are more willing to kill people that resist them,,,
at least for now,,,

Forum List

Back