CDZ Not so partisan thoughts on Covid-19

Tom Paine 1949

Diamond Member
Mar 15, 2020
The hysteria and dysfunctional partisanship that categorizes the U.S. response to Covid-19 is rather unique in the world. In Asian countries particularly, where there has been more experience in mobilizing resources to battle recent epidemics, there has been much less confusion, partisanship and much greater success in stopping the virus spread.

There are those that argue that nothing can be done, that we should simply let “herd immunity” run its course, as that will lead to fewer deaths in the long run (and allow an immediate opening of the economy). Lockdowns combined with full tracing can save lives — and lead to quick economic recovery. Look at China. Now reopening, the immediate threat China faces is contagion from outside the country. Otherwise, there are few or no new cases. Democratic South Korea has accomplished much the same results without lockdowns but just using modern electronic health monitoring and tracking systems. Starving the virus of human contact was what they aimed for and mostly achieved. Of course without an eventual vaccine or effective treatment there is permanent danger of new outbreaks or contagion from outside.

Second, a lot depends on the virus itself. To take an extreme example, the first EBOLA outbreak was stopped by quarantine and not “herd immunity.” Fortunately, since EBOLA's lethality was plague-like. This Covid-19 sucker is far less lethal, spreads more easily and asymptomatically. Given these particular characteristics I agree a "total lockdown" at this stage — when it has gotten almost completely out of control in the U.S. — is now probably politically and economically impossible. The U.S. will almost certainly not introduce effective enough tracing and testing and quarantining measures to stop SARS-CV2 spread here. General population "shelter in place" measures are becoming less and less viable over time, even with all the creative work and study-at-home changes that are occuring. There is a price to be paid even in health terms for extending such lockdown measures. That doesn't argue for a policy of ending all social distancing, however, at least as I see things.

Of course we never really had a full lockdown. Crucial production and work MUST continue, and much of it MUST be done outside the home. So we are stuck with difficult choices in the next period. If no vaccines are proven effective, we will probably "achieve" herd immunity the old fashioned way. But even that assumes the virus doesn't mutate into something worse. It is even possible that lasting "immunity" does not develop, as with “common cold” corona viruses in general.

Because new pandemics can be expected in the future, and the lethality of those diseases is yet unknown, we must still move toward modern rational electronic tracing and reporting techniques so feared by our libertarian right, toward a dramatic strengthening of our public health services. Also we need more and better funded international research and coordination, and a real expansion and development of rapid response capabilities. We must learn the same lessons South Korea learned in its earlier battles against SARS.

I believe we can and must accept that abandoning "shelter in place" executive orders by governors is reasonable where hospitals are not overwhelmed. For the old and those with special health conditions, like me with asthma, of course “shelter in place” remains important. But if it is reasonably established that some real immunity comes from catching this disease, then we are better off letting the young and strong slowly and responsibly return to a more normal life in this difficult intermediate time. My niece and her husband both caught the virus, and recovered without hospitalization. When the test results came back as they suspected showing antibodies, we were all happy. They are still being careful, but they are no longer sitting in their apartment all day.

“Shelter in place” should not be a "litmus test" for liberal political orthodoxy. Neither should Republicans carry on as they do with hysterical witch-hunting and anti-scientific conspiracy thinking.

Of course I don't claim to be an expert on any of this. I’m just ... "ventilating."

The hysteria and dysfunctional partisanship that categorizes the U.S. response to Covid-19 is rather unique in the world. In Asian countries particularly, where there has been more experience in mobilizing resources to battle recent epidemics, there has been much less confusion, partisanship and much greater success in stopping the virus spread.

There are those that argue that nothing can be done, that we should simply let “herd immunity” run its course, as that will lead to fewer deaths in the long run (and allow an immediate opening of the economy). Lockdowns combined with full tracing can save lives — and lead to quick economic recovery. Look at China. Now reopening, the immediate threat China faces is contagion from outside the country. Otherwise, there are few or no new cases. Democratic South Korea has accomplished much the same results without lockdowns but just using modern electronic health monitoring and tracking systems. Starving the virus of human contact was what they aimed for and mostly achieved. Of course without an eventual vaccine or effective treatment there is permanent danger of new outbreaks or contagion from outside.

Second, a lot depends on the virus itself. To take an extreme example, the first EBOLA outbreak was stopped by quarantine and not “herd immunity.” Fortunately, since EBOLA's lethality was plague-like. This Covid-19 sucker is far less lethal, spreads more easily and asymptomatically. Given these particular characteristics I agree a "total lockdown" at this stage — when it has gotten almost completely out of control in the U.S. — is now probably politically and economically impossible. The U.S. will almost certainly not introduce effective enough tracing and testing and quarantining measures to stop SARS-CV2 spread here. General population "shelter in place" measures are becoming less and less viable over time, even with all the creative work and study-at-home changes that are occuring. There is a price to be paid even in health terms for extending such lockdown measures. That doesn't argue for a policy of ending all social distancing, however, at least as I see things.

Of course we never really had a full lockdown. Crucial production and work MUST continue, and much of it MUST be done outside the home. So we are stuck with difficult choices in the next period. If no vaccines are proven effective, we will probably "achieve" herd immunity the old fashioned way. But even that assumes the virus doesn't mutate into something worse. It is even possible that lasting "immunity" does not develop, as with “common cold” corona viruses in general.

Because new pandemics can be expected in the future, and the lethality of those diseases is yet unknown, we must still move toward modern rational electronic tracing and reporting techniques so feared by our libertarian right, toward a dramatic strengthening of our public health services. Also we need more and better funded international research and coordination, and a real expansion and development of rapid response capabilities. We must learn the same lessons South Korea learned in its earlier battles against SARS.

I believe we can and must accept that abandoning "shelter in place" executive orders by governors is reasonable where hospitals are not overwhelmed. For the old and those with special health conditions, like me with asthma, of course “shelter in place” remains important. But if it is reasonably established that some real immunity comes from catching this disease, then we are better off letting the young and strong slowly and responsibly return to a more normal life in this difficult intermediate time. My niece and her husband both caught the virus, and recovered without hospitalization. When the test results came back as they suspected showing antibodies, we were all happy. They are still being careful, but they are no longer sitting in their apartment all day.

“Shelter in place” should not be a "litmus test" for liberal political orthodoxy. Neither should Republicans carry on as they do with hysterical witch-hunting and anti-scientific conspiracy thinking.

Of course I don't claim to be an expert on any of this. I’m just ... "ventilating."
Good stuff. And I'm glad your family is well.

We find ourselves at a moment in our history in which the two ends of our political spectrum are (a) largely in control of any given narrative, and (b) unwilling to give an inch in order to work with the other end.

Both ends of this issue (and in a better time, there would not have been two ends of this issue) will only push their end of it; they are refusing to admit the other end even makes reasonable points, let alone that we should appreciate or seriously consider them.

It's like watching two petulant siblings refusing to get along out of pure spite. And we're seeing the predictable results, in real time.

Last edited:
The hysteria and dysfunctional partisanship that categorizes the U.S. response to Covid-19 is rather unique in the world.

How disappointing.

One side listens to Dr. Fauci, Dr. Birx, and is willing to follow their advice, including their increasingly strident warnings against opening up too soon.

The other side follows that known epidemiological genius, Prof. Dr. Dr. Dr. Trump - he who knows better than the experts.

One side tries to help those who need help, the other side tries to squeeze through tax cuts for the rich.

One side tries to contain the outbreak, doing what is the only reasonable thing to do to achieve it at this stage of the pandemic, the other side tries to cook up xenophobic nonsense, like "ask China", and lies about every single aspect of the Trump administration's failed pandemic response, like, "Everyone who needs a test can get a test."

One side, however impatiently, waits for science and scientists to do their work and develop cures and vaccines, the other side promotes miracles and miracle cures.

One side finds the White House-issued criteria for opening up reasonable and recommends everyone adhere to them, while the other side, the one who issued that guidance, urges every one to open up while no one really complies with that guidance.

And then you find "hysteria and dysfunctional partisanship". That will please Mac but doesn't even aspire to pass muster in the real world of facts and sound analysis.

The main difference between the U.S. and those who managed to do well isn't partisanship, it's a chief executive, like Ms. Ardern, listening to the best advice and implementing it. Yes, that implementation was greatly facilitated because the opposition saw it being done right and jumped on board. Trump could have had the same reaction, Democrats joining the pandemic response, had he followed scientific advice. He did, however, not. Turns out, failing to do a proper job while blaming everybody else for the ensuing catastrophe still costs tens of thousands of lives, needlessly. It is a gross, grotesque failure of judgment to come up with some contrived both-sides nonsense.

Going for "herd immunity" before we know infection actually confers immunity, before there is effective treatment (remember, many of the young can also get very, horribly sick), is insane and inhumane. Opening up while the necessary requirements to contain the inevitable outbreaks - like abundant testing, contract tracing and isolation - is insane and inhumane.

I understand where you are coming from. My OP is not meant to excuse the misleadership of the Trump administration, but rather to examine the issues without emphasizing partisanship or assigning blame. Lots of threads do that. My feeling is that even if we had a truly “competent” Democratic administration ensconced in the White House, one that did most everything right, we would still have partisan deadlock in Congress and society. The pandemic would almost certainly have spread widely in the U.S. even if Hillary Clinton had been elected, and we would still be faced with many of the same issues as we prepare for the future.

I understand where you are coming from. My OP is not meant to excuse the misleadership of the Trump administration, but rather to examine the issues without emphasizing partisanship or assigning blame. Lots of threads do that. My feeling is that even if we had a truly “competent” Democratic administration ensconced in the White House, one that did most everything right, we would still have partisan deadlock in Congress and society. The pandemic would almost certainly have spread widely in the U.S. even if Hillary Clinton had been elected, and we would still be faced with many of the same issues as we prepare for the future.

Understood. Still, while trying to avoid assigning blame, you did, in fact, assign blame, and on both sides.

Also, you may wish to read up on President Obama's decisive, consistent and science-driven handling of the H1N1 and the Ebola crises to cure you of the mis-perception concerning the White House's role in a pandemic, and what a difference there is between competent and caring leadership, and the erratic fumbling of a carnival barker. Yes, the GOP went completely hysterical over "He lets the virus in, shut down the borders now! Ebola!!! Ebola!!! Ebola!!!", while Obama calmly committed the necessary resources and did the right thing, to great effect, and then put the lessons learned in writing, for the next administration to follow. Which, of course, they did not.

You know, Tom, words, messages matter, the bigger the megaphone, the more. A chief executive who doesn't know anything about anything, and contradicts everyone, his own advisors and himself included, by necessity has the whole country running in every imaginable direction, and giving in to the forces crowing the loudest and exerting the most pressure. The country will pay a price for that, and the models already predict as much.

Country ........ Deaths / million population
Australia ...... 3.8
New Zealand 4.2
U.S. ............. 252

There is a lot to be said about "partisanship", and little thereof is good, but it has nothing to do with the above.

Some testing has revealed that many people may have already had the virus and didn't even know it. Others get the virus and get very ill or even die. It seems (IMO) that the virus is more easily transmitted between folks living in close quarters because we are finding out now that care homes have a much higher percentage of Covid sickness. We also know that folks on ships have contracted the virus in large percentages. These facts do not seem much different than the yearly flu which is also highly contractible which is why we develop flu shots.

Covid is said to be a 'novel' virus meaning that our flu vaccine strains are not effective. The question I have is just how much more virulent and deadly is this virus compared to all the other viruses? I have heard that this particular virus attacks the body in different ways than the 'regular' flu virus and mainly causes respiratory problems such as Pneumonia. Years ago, I had personal experience with getting a seasonal flu that turned to pneumonia. I wonder how this virus is any different in that respect.

Does it all come down to the fact we do not yet have a vaccine for this 'novel' virus and THAT is why we had to shut the country down? Then again, there are years I can remember where the flu shot was found to be ineffective because it missed that particular strain prevalent that year. I wonder how many people died in those years? Is this Covid virus really as virulent and deadly as it is said to be?

There was a movie called "By Dawn's Early Light". I don't recall all of the details but the gist was that the Russians hit DC with a nuke and missed the White House. It injured POTUS but didn't kill him. The powers that be concluded he was dead and decided to dispatch Air Force one to Baton Rouge to pick up the Secretary of the Interior who was the acting POTUS. The JCS dispatched a colonel to be the liaison between AF1 and the JCS plane (Looking Glass). It became pretty clear right off the bat that the acting POTUS was in over his head and he was listening to an unofficial advisor who was advising total retaliation. On one of the conversations between acting POTUS and the JCS Chairman, the JCS Chairman tells acting POTUS that "There are no experts tonight".

That has been the case with C-19. There really are no experts. "Expert" conjures up the image of someone who knows everything about the subject and will not be surprised by what they are dealing with. A 2018 Ford Fusion holds no surprises for an expert in the Ford Fusion automobile. A general mechanic likely knows how to fix the car but wouldn't be called an "expert" by most. We have people who are familiar with viruses and stopping the spread of infectious diseases. But when it comes to this one virus, there really are no "experts" since its a new cat.

So the smart thing to do, I'd think, is to rely on those who have the most knowledge in lieu of having experts in the field.

The hysteria and dysfunctional partisanship that categorizes the U.S. response to Covid-19 is rather unique in the world.

How disappointing.

One side listens to Dr. Fauci, Dr. Birx, and is willing to follow their advice, including their increasingly strident warnings against opening up too soon.

The other side follows that known epidemiological genius, Prof. Dr. Dr. Dr. Trump - he who knows better than the experts.

One side tries to help those who need help, the other side tries to squeeze through tax cuts for the rich.

One side tries to contain the outbreak, doing what is the only reasonable thing to do to achieve it at this stage of the pandemic, the other side tries to cook up xenophobic nonsense, like "ask China", and lies about every single aspect of the Trump administration's failed pandemic response, like, "Everyone who needs a test can get a test."

One side, however impatiently, waits for science and scientists to do their work and develop cures and vaccines, the other side promotes miracles and miracle cures.

One side finds the White House-issued criteria for opening up reasonable and recommends everyone adhere to them, while the other side, the one who issued that guidance, urges every one to open up while no one really complies with that guidance.

And then you find "hysteria and dysfunctional partisanship". That will please Mac but doesn't even aspire to pass muster in the real world of facts and sound analysis.

The main difference between the U.S. and those who managed to do well isn't partisanship, it's a chief executive, like Ms. Ardern, listening to the best advice and implementing it. Yes, that implementation was greatly facilitated because the opposition saw it being done right and jumped on board. Trump could have had the same reaction, Democrats joining the pandemic response, had he followed scientific advice. He did, however, not. Turns out, failing to do a proper job while blaming everybody else for the ensuing catastrophe still costs tens of thousands of lives, needlessly. It is a gross, grotesque failure of judgment to come up with some contrived both-sides nonsense.

Going for "herd immunity" before we know infection actually confers immunity, before there is effective treatment (remember, many of the young can also get very, horribly sick), is insane and inhumane. Opening up while the necessary requirements to contain the inevitable outbreaks - like abundant testing, contract tracing and isolation - is insane and inhumane.
I mostly agree, although I will say that there was a lot of alarmist talk from the Democrats (probably still is), when the facts support a more nuanced approach to opening or closing the economy. Surely Montana should not be held to the stringent standards of New York. That's just a total misallocation of policy and resources!

I mostly agree, although I will say that there was a lot of alarmist talk from the Democrats (probably still is), when the facts support a more nuanced approach to opening or closing the economy. Surely Montana should not be held to the stringent standards of New York. That's just a total misallocation of policy and resources!

So, Flip, how about you provide some examples for that "alarmist talk"?

As to standards, in short:

1. 14 days of downward trajectory of new cases.

2. Hospital capacity - free beds, personnel, PPE, ventilators - to handle the inevitable outbreaks.

3. Ample testing so as to catch outbreaks early.

4. Personnel for contact tracing and infrastructure for isolation in place.

Which of the standards for opening up do you think should not be adhered to, and what "facts" do you think support the notion that these standards are not required to protect Montanans, and why?

Good thread, Tom, I can't get into this thread with the constraints of the CDZ forum guidelines, and I respect what you're doing.
I will say that the virus is real, and the economy is real. A government can't just focus on one side of this issue, and toss the other side
to the curb. Unfortunately, there are some who want just that.

Your one mistake that puts into question the rest of your observations is you assume China is telling the truth about their current situation.

How disappointing.

More Rural counties of upstate New York shouldn't be held to the same standards as NYC and the surrounding suburban counties, nevermind Minnesota.

Asymptomatic infection is an oxymoron.

Typhoid Mary would disagree with that statement.

I was thinking of her when I wrote that, but couldn't come up with a more appropriate term than "infection." The point I was trying to make was that asymptomatic people who test positive on a particular day are not really "new cases" of Covid-19.

Asymptomatic infection is an oxymoron.

Typhoid Mary would disagree with that statement.

I was thinking of her when I wrote that, but couldn't come up with a more appropriate term than "infection." The point I was trying to make was that asymptomatic people who test positive on a particular day are not really "new cases" of Covid-19.

I think you have to count them as cases to create a true "denominator" to be used when calculating infection rates, mortality rates, hospitalization rates, and any other statistical numbers used to figure out how widespread and how lethal this bug is.

Only when you have the whole data set can you begin parsing it into various other rates and be able to understand them in a "big picture" mentality.

I think you have to count them as cases to create a true "denominator" to be used when calculating infection rates, mortality rates, hospitalization rates, and any other statistical numbers used to figure out how widespread and how lethal this bug is.

Current testing only indicates exposure as of the particular day of the test. A valid denominator would have to be a statistically significant random sample of people with Covid-19 antibodies.

Current testing only indicates exposure as of the particular day of the test. A valid denominator would have to be a statistically significant random sample of people with Covid-19 antibodies.

Depends on the test. a PCR test searching for the RNA for COVID would indicate active, or at least recently active viral load in a person. An Antibody test only shows a person has been exposed and is fighting off/has fought off the virus.

And your random sampling would have to be a general population sample, and include both anti-body and PCR type tests, to get various categories, i.e. unifected (no antibody, no viral load), antibody positive, viral load positive, and antibody+viral load positive.

That's the quantitative work. Then you have to add qualitative values, such as asymptomatic, mild symptoms, severe symptoms, recovered.

Then you have other quantitative factors, such as hospitalized or non hospitalized, released, admitted to ICU, and of course, deceased.

How disappointing.

Montana are hitting targets and have a very low growth rate.. Yes to reopening but they have to watch interstate especially from North Dakota....

Big thing is for Montana to have testing in place... need to be able to to test 2% of your pop a week...

Forum List

Back