We’re Going to Defend Taiwan?

And then Congress passed an agreement with Taiwan that makes them a de facto ally of the United States.
Doesn’t matter. The executive branch sets foreign policy.

I thought you cons despise old Joe, yet your right there with him on funding the war machine and pushing US imperialism worldwide.

Rs and Ds sure love war. Nothing is more bipartisan or more ignorant.

Do you call the few Rs who voted against the absurd Ukraine war funding bill to enrich the war profiteers RINOS?

Most of us are conditioned to believe we should honor our promises and commitments abroad.

If China isn't opposed in invading Taiwan, there is nothing to stop them from scooping up huge swaths of the western Pacific just like Japan did in the thirties and early 40's.

Since they've been following the Japanese expansion model for 20 years it's a reasonable concern that they would follow suit with even more invasions.

Except that Taiwan is different because it technically is still part of China, so is under PROC legal jurisdiction.
If you want to grant independence to Taiwan under the principle of "local autonomy", then you have to do the same to the provinces of the Ukraine with an ethnic Russian majority.

I thought you cons despise old Joe, yet your right there with him on funding the war machine and pushing US imperialism worldwide.
Thats true

I cant stand biden

But for me politics ends at the waters edge and I will fully support biden when he gets it right

Which he seems inclined to do vs chinese foreign aggression

It is in our best interests to have a free end pro American Taiwan, Japan, South Korea, Philippines, Vietnam ect

And that means curbing the CCP and PLA

Do you call the few Rs who voted against the absurd Ukraine war funding bill to enrich the war profiteers RINOS?

In general I have been agreeing with most of your posts on this.
But I disagree that "The executive branch sets foreign policy."
I think the foreign policy duties are split, with Congress setting it but the executive conducting it.

{...
The U.S. Constitution parcels out foreign relations powers to both the executive and legislative branches. It grants some powers, like command of the military, exclusively to the president and others, like the regulation of foreign commerce, to Congress, while still others it divides among the two or simply does not assign.

The separation of powers has spawned a great deal of debate over the roles of the president and Congress in foreign affairs, as well as over the limits on their respective authorities. “The Constitution, considered only for its affirmative grants of power capable of affecting the issue, is an invitation to struggle for the privilege of directing American foreign policy,” wrote constitutional scholar Edward S. Corwin in 1958.

Foreign policy experts say that presidents have accumulated power at the expense of Congress in recent years as part of a pattern in which, during times of war or national emergency, the executive branch tends to eclipse the legislature.

Friction by Design​

The periodic tug-of-war between the president and Congress over foreign policy is not a by-product of the Constitution, but rather, one of its core aims. The drafters distributed political power and imposed checks and balances to ward off monarchical tyranny embodied by Britain’s King George III. They also sought to remedy the failings of the Articles of Confederation, the national charter adopted in 1777, which many regarded as a form of legislative tyranny. “If there is a principle in our Constitution, indeed in any free Constitution, more sacred than any other, it is that which separates the legislative, executive, and judicial powers,” wrote James Madison, U.S. representative from Virginia, in the Federalist papers.

Powers of Congress​

Article I of the Constitution enumerates several of Congress’s foreign affairs powers, including those to “regulate commerce with foreign nations,” “declare war,” “raise and support armies,” “provide and maintain a navy,” and “make rules for the government and regulation of the land and naval forces.” The Constitution also makes two of the president’s foreign affairs powers—making treaties and appointing diplomats—dependent on Senate approval.

Beyond these, Congress has general powers—to “lay and collect taxes,” to draw money from the Treasury, and to “make all laws which shall be necessary and proper”—that, collectively, allow legislators to influence nearly all manner of foreign policy issues. For example, the 114th Congress (2015–2017) passed laws on topics ranging from electronic surveillance to North Korea sanctions to border security to wildlife trafficking. In one noteworthy instance, lawmakers overrode President Barack Obama’s veto to enact a law allowing victims of international terrorist attacks to sue foreign governments.

Congress also plays an oversight role. The annual appropriations process allows congressional committees to review in detail the budgets and programs of the vast military and diplomatic bureaucracies. Lawmakers must sign off on more than a trillion dollars in federal spending every year, of which more than half is allocated to defense and international affairs. Lawmakers may also stipulate how that money is to be spent. For instance, Congress repeatedly barred the Obama administration from using funds to transfer detainees out of the military prison at Guantanamo Bay.

Congress has broad authority to conduct investigations into particular foreign policy or national security concerns. High-profile inquiries in recent years have centered on the 9/11 attacks, the Central Intelligence Agency’s detention and interrogation programs, and the 2012 attack on U.S. diplomatic facilities in Benghazi, Libya.

Furthermore, Congress has the power to create, eliminate, or restructure executive branch agencies, which it has often done after major conflicts or crises. In the wake of World War II, Congress passed the National Security Act of 1947, which established the CIA and National Security Council. Following the 9/11 attacks, Congress created the Department of Homeland Security.
...}

China thinks so, but 25 million Taiwan citizens do not agree

Identical to the millions of ethnic Russians in parts of the Ukraine that used to be part of Russia.

If you support "local autonomy" for Taiwan, then you have to also support independence for the Donnetsk and other ethnic Russian provinces that the Ukraine claims at theirs.

Do you call the few Rs who vote.

The executive branch doesn't make foreign policy all on its own.

And I'll always support the U.S. using force to resist tyrants and oppressors.

Thats true

I cant stand biden

But for me politics ends at the waters edge and I will fully support biden when he gets it right

Which he seems inclined to do vs chinese foreign aggression

It is in our best interests to have a free end pro American Taiwan, Japan, South Korea, Philippines, Vietnam ect

And that means curbing the CCP and PLA
Apparently you’re unaware that Joe has never gotten any war right. You’d think you’d know this by now, after 50 years of failure.

Imperialists never learn.

Identical to the millions of ethnic Russians in parts of the Ukraine that used to be part of Russia.
Russia conceded the independence of ukraine after the breakup of the Soviet Union

So in the sense that russia and china are both trying to grab territory by military force that does not belong to them I agree

Thats why I support the ukraines and always have

Apparently you’re unaware that Joe has never gotten any war right. You’d think you’d know this by now, after 50 years of failure.

Thats a very empty argument

In so many ways biden is a train wreck

So for me it was a pleasant surprise to hear his policy on Taiwan

The executive branch doesn't make foreign policy all on its own.

And I'll always support the U.S. using force to resist tyrants and oppressors.
Lol. You really know nothing about our nations long history of supporting tyrants and dictators.

Please tell me you’re 12 years old.

Agreeing to defend Taiwan is NOT an example of imperialism.

New Topics

Forum List

Back