Well evangelicals from NC, Is this true or satire

The pastor should have told them ahead of time, so they wouldn't ruin their Sunday best. It reminds me of a church that was being held at a drive-in movie theater back when I was a little girl. The pastor was being projected on the big screen and everyone listened through the speakers. It was in Florida--way long ago. But why not?

The pastor should have told them ahead of time, so they wouldn't ruin their Sunday best. It reminds me of a church that was being held at a drive-in movie theater back when I was a little girl. The pastor was being projected on the big screen and everyone listened through the speakers. It was in Florida--way long ago. But why not?

Don't tell me it was Starke, Florida?

We have a church kind of like that. It is a satellite church that packs people into a converted grocery store to watch the sermons from far away on a video screen

We were visiting relatives in Fort Myers. I don't remember traveling very far. Dunno.

We have a church kind of like that. It is a satellite church that packs people into a converted grocery store to watch the sermons from far away on a video screen
Cool beans.

We were visiting relatives in Fort Myers. I don't remember traveling very far. Dunno.

When I was a lad I lived in Starke and the neighbor would let me tag along with them to their church that beat the bible so badly that it made me stop going to church altogether...

The Preacher tried to dunk me into the water and I bit him, and he called me the child of Lucifer... ( I am not kidding about any of this )

So after that incident I felt it was best to never go back to church just in case another nutter got the bright idea of dunking me. I was baptized catholic when I was a baby and was not going to convert to another church or religion...

Cool beans.

I have a bit of a problem with it actually. Not from the religious experience so much, but I think: 1) far away ministers do not really know what local needs might be better ministered to; and 2) These church franchise operations are becoming organizationally either poorly managed monoliths or dictatorial monoliths. We have had a couple different local messes for the courts to straighten ouy because of such things, but I won't go into detail to derail this thread.

As for the waterslide, seems kind of tacky and disrespectful to the tradition and ritual, but I guess any water will do to check the box.

When I was a lad I lived in Starke and the neighbor would let me tag along with them to their church that beat the bible so badly that it made me stop going to church altogether...

The Preacher tried to dunk me into the water and I bit him, and he called me the child of Lucifer... ( I am not kidding about any of this )

So after that incident I felt it was best to never go back to church just in case another nutter got the bright idea of dunking me. I was baptized catholic when I was a baby and was not going to convert to another church or religion...
Nice preacher. I'm glad you bit him, Bruce.
But back to the OP, there's a really active church in Bangor (I think it's Baptist) that has a huge auditorium for a chapel and the pastor is projected on the screen for those sitting far back, and they have a huge, very active congregation that involves all the family in activities. There's nothing wrong with making church fun or using the latest technology so deaf old folks can hear the preacher even if they're not in the front row. It's a bit of shocker when a New England Congregationalist like me sees such things for the first time, but they're not bad. The drive-in was particularly good because you could, if you wanted, attend in your pajamas. Or drink your Margarita from the drive-in bar. LOL

Being baptized as a baby is not Biblical and is religious dogma. It came about because the high mortality rate of infants. It can be taken as righteousness by God that the parents dedicate the child to God, but does nothing for the child. Children that die before the age of accountability go directly to heaven anyway.

Baptism is the outward sign of the inward commitment that you have already made to follow Jesus. An understanding of Christ and a desire to live for him is a necessary component of the act.
Turning it into an amusement park attraction, may interest people for the wrong reason. Fun though it may be, I'm not so sure it is appropriate.

Cool beans.

I have a bit of a problem with it actually. Not from the religious experience so much, but I think: 1) far away ministers do not really know what local needs might be better ministered to; and 2) These church franchise operations are becoming organizationally either poorly managed monoliths or dictatorial monoliths. We have had a couple different local messes for the courts to straighten ouy because of such things, but I won't go into detail to derail this thread.

As for the waterslide, seems kind of tacky and disrespectful to the tradition and ritual, but I guess any water will do to check the box.
I agree if you're a church goer, you need a local pastor. Who's going to christen your babies or bury you? When you get into an insufferable situation, who do you reach out to? My aunt and uncle hit the drive-in now and then because it was a dynamic speaker, but they had their own local church. I think they took us there to blow our minds. I am not a religious or church going adult, although I had the training. I have always been suspicious of the "television ministries" for all the reasons you pointed out.

Being baptized as a baby is not Biblical and is religious dogma. It came about because the high mortality rate of infants. It can be taken as righteousness by God that the parents dedicate the child to God, but does nothing for the child. Children that die before the age of accountability go directly to heaven anyway.

Baptism is the outward sign of the inward commitment that you have already made to follow Jesus. An understanding of Christ and a desire to live for him is a necessary component of the act.
So Bruce WAS right to bite him, right?

My father took basic training at Camp Blanding in Starke in 1944. We visited him at graduation and then visited Silver Springs to ride the glass bottom boats and I rode Ferdinand The Bull somewhere in the area.

Forum List

Back