We Were Right to Drop the Bomb

Should We Have Dropped the Atomic Bomb on Japan in 1945

• Yes

Votes: 36 83.7%
  • No

Votes: 7 16.3%

• Total voters
"the use of this barbarous weapon at Hiroshima and Nagasaki was of no material assistance in our war against Japan. The Japanese were already defeated and ready to surrender."
- Admiral William Leahy, White House chief of staff and chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff during the war
William Leahy who never saw a shot fired in anger during his entire career.

Yet surrender they did not. Leahy never spoke against using the bomb during the war. Certainly after Hiroshima Leahy could object. But he did not. Leahy is Navy, Certainly he did not want the Army to win the war.
They had been trying to surrender for months. All they asked is don’t harm the emperor. Truman nuked them and then agreed to their terms. Nice guy old Dirty Harry.

Wrong, Total War is what war was, in 1945

Today we have a bit of a luxury, with smart bombs and special forces, that was not the case in World War II
We didn’t have to do total war. It’s a crime. Mass murdering civilians is always a crime.

Oh fuck that bs. Our government is still mass murdering civilians today. Old Joe just got done murdering several children. It’s what our military does.

Don’t try to justify total war. It’s not possible.

Yet surrender they did not. Leahy never spoke against using the bomb during the war. Certainly after Hiroshima Leahy could object. But he did not. Leahy is Navy, Certainly he did not want the Army to win the war.
Read the entire thread before asking anyone to rehash all of the points already addressed in detail.

William Leahy who never saw a shot fired in anger during his entire career.
"the first atomic bomb was an unnecessary experiment." (the Japanese had )... "put out a lot of peace feelers through Russia long before" (the bomb was used).
- Admiral William "Bull" Halsey

We didn’t have to do total war. It’s a crime. Mass murdering civilians is always a crime.

Oh fuck that bs. Our government is still mass murdering civilians today. Old Joe got done just murdering several children. It’s what our military does.

Don’t try to justify total war. It’s not possible.
I am justifying ending the war, as soon as we could, saving 140,000 pow's

I am pretty fucking happy we saved Pappy Boyington by dropping two atomic bombs

"many military leaders of the time — including six out of seven five-star officers — criticized the use of the atomic bomb. "

I am justifying ending the war, as soon as we could, saving 140,000 pow's

I am pretty fucking happy we saved Pappy Boyington by dropping two atomic bombs
American POWs were killed by the bombing of Hiroshima.

The only official Japanese offer was a return to status quo ante December 5th 1941. No war crimes trials and the Japanese got to oversee whatever disarmament they decided to do. All the other offers were from individuals who had no power in the government and no authority to make offers in the first place.
you are right

My father who lived through hell in the Marines during the South Pacific campaigns and uncle that died a proud Marine serving his country would have voted yes without hesitation. Revisionist BS is what it is just……BS!

My father who lived through hell in the Marines during the South Pacific campaigns and uncle that died a proud Marine serving his country would have voted yes without hesitation. Revisionist BS is what it is just……BS!
"Joseph O'Donnell, a retired marine corps sergeant who served in the Pacific, answered that "we should have went after the military in Japan. They were bad. But to drop a bomb on women and children and the elderly, I draw a line there, and I still hold it."

"Doug Dowd, a Pacific-theater rescue pilot who was slated to take an early part in the invasion of Japan if it had come to that, recently stated that it was clear in the final months of the war that the Japanese "had lost the ability to defend themselves." American planes "met little, and then virtually no resistance," Dowd recalled. He added, "It is well-known [now] that the Japanese were seeking to make a peace agreement well before Hiroshima."

"the use of this barbarous weapon at Hiroshima and Nagasaki was of no material assistance in our war against Japan. The Japanese were already defeated and ready to surrender."
- Admiral William Leahy, White House chief of staff and chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff during the war

Leahy and other military leaders, who had political disagreements with Truman on other issues, expressed these regrets in the 1950's, after Nuclear Weapons became an existential threat.

Not during the war, when they were just another weapon.

"Joseph O'Donnell, a retired marine corps sergeant who served in the Pacific, answered that "we should have went after the military in Japan. They were bad. But to drop a bomb on women and children and the elderly, I draw a line there, and I still hold it."
Last time I checked, they didn't go to Sergeants for policy decisions... or at least no one did when I was a Sergeant in the Army.

The line of dropping bombs on civilians got crossed before the US ever got into the war.

"Doug Dowd, a Pacific-theater rescue pilot who was slated to take an early part in the invasion of Japan if it had come to that, recently stated that it was clear in the final months of the war that the Japanese "had lost the ability to defend themselves." American planes "met little, and then virtually no resistance," Dowd recalled. He added, "It is well-known [now] that the Japanese were seeking to make a peace agreement well before Hiroshima."
Meaningless, since they weren't ready to agree to UNCONDITIONAL SURRENDER.

"many military leaders of the time — including six out of seven five-star officers — criticized the use of the atomic bomb. "
Again, given that atom bombs made their jobs obsolete, we can understand their objections.

Forum List

Back