We Need To Speak Honestly About The GOP's Evolution Into A Conspiracy Cult

I'm old enough to remember when the GOP was a respectable political party. I even campaigned once for a GOP candidate. My parents supported the elder Bush. Now it is nothing but a cult full of freaks, biker scum and religious nutjobs.
You mean the days when "compromise" meant agreeing with you, and not fighting back or holding you accountable?
When did this happen? It all depends on the issue and what the demands are. Nobody can "compromise" if a proposal is aimed at denying the rights of Americans. Unfortunately, some people seek to advance policies that are aimed at targeting a specific group of Americans, many times couched seemingly neutral language.

Are you able to hold people like trump accountable?

One of the challenges in analyzing modern American politics is accurately describing the Republican Party without seeming unserious and hyperbolic. Unfortunately, the modern Republican Party’s abdication of seriousness, good faith and reality-based communications or policy-making has stretched even the most open-minded analyst’s capacity for forced balance. But there comes a tipping point at which it becomes too dangerous to keep up the pretense. Most people left of center would argue (rightly, I believe) that we hit that point long, long ago and the time to re-evaluate journalistic norms and practices should have been decades earlier when the GOP was busy covering up the Iran Contra scandal and promoting the Laffer Curve as serious public policy.

A conversation that is owed to those that fought to preserve the norm.

Iran Contra affair? Are you stuck in 1985? Doesn't surprise me.

"Washington Monthly"..... BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!! Was Decorating With Hamster Shit offline?

Your well-earned title, The.Forum.Fuckboy, will never be challenged. Thank-you for making me feel so superior.

One of the challenges in analyzing modern American politics is accurately describing the Republican Party without seeming unserious and hyperbolic. Unfortunately, the modern Republican Party’s abdication of seriousness, good faith and reality-based communications or policy-making has stretched even the most open-minded analyst’s capacity for forced balance. But there comes a tipping point at which it becomes too dangerous to keep up the pretense. Most people left of center would argue (rightly, I believe) that we hit that point long, long ago and the time to re-evaluate journalistic norms and practices should have been decades earlier when the GOP was busy covering up the Iran Contra scandal and promoting the Laffer Curve as serious public policy.

Here are true conspiracies
Russia Russia Russia
Trump Russia Collusion
The Steele Dossier
The Phone call
And here the king of all conspiracies
The Schiff Sham
This is the RW post that proves the OPs point.
So says johnny conspiracies nut
The only thing that isn't a conspiracy theory is the fact that the only attempt to influence the 2016 election was done by obama using the thugs at the DOJ
other than that what did I point out that was proven correct?

And once again we see in this very thread those on the dishonest right doing what they always do: responding with idiotic red herring fallacies about a Russian ‘conspiracy theory’ along with ridiculous attempts to deflect from the topic because they know they have no valid argument to respond with, because they know the thread premise is correct.
Exactly. The right has made conspiracy theories so much a basis of their ideology they are unable to tell the truth from fiction.
OK FICTION QUEEN

I'm old enough to remember when the GOP was a respectable political party. I even campaigned once for a GOP candidate. My parents supported the elder Bush. Now it is nothing but a cult full of freaks, biker scum and religious nutjobs.
You mean the days when "compromise" meant agreeing with you, and not fighting back or holding you accountable?
When did this happen? It all depends on the issue and what the demands are. Nobody can "compromise" if a proposal is aimed at denying the rights of Americans. Unfortunately, some people seek to advance policies that are aimed at targeting a specific group of Americans, many times couched seemingly neutral language.

Are you able to hold people like trump accountable?
You never compromise with people that you never have anything in common with
When you start holding leftists accountable we'll talk until then go fuck yourself.

You and the rest of you criminal vermin aren't capable of speaking honestly about anything.

Thank you for proving the article to be 100% correct. We knew you could do it Mike. Nobody is a better cultist for Trump, buying into his every lie and conspiracy theory, than you are Mike.

"We have been studying Washington politics and Congress for more than 40 years, and never have we seen them this dysfunctional. In our past writings, we have criticized both parties when we believed it was warranted. Today, however, we have no choice but to acknowledge that the core of the problem lies with the Republican Party.

The GOP has become an insurgent outlier in American politics. It is ideologically extreme; scornful of compromise; unmoved by conventional understanding of facts, evidence and science; and dismissive of the legitimacy of its political opposition.

When one party moves this far from the mainstream, it makes it nearly impossible for the political system to deal constructively with the country’s challenges."

And once again we see in this very thread those on the dishonest right doing what they always do: responding with idiotic red herring fallacies about a Russian ‘conspiracy theory’ along with ridiculous attempts to deflect from the topic because they know they have no valid argument to respond with, because they know the thread premise is correct.
is this a red herring fallacy?.....

"We have been studying Washington politics and Congress for more than 40 years, and never have we seen them this dysfunctional. In our past writings, we have criticized both parties when we believed it was warranted. Today, however, we have no choice but to acknowledge that the core of the problem lies with the Republican Party.

The GOP has become an insurgent outlier in American politics. It is ideologically extreme; scornful of compromise; unmoved by conventional understanding of facts, evidence and science; and dismissive of the legitimacy of its political opposition.

When one party moves this far from the mainstream, it makes it nearly impossible for the political system to deal constructively with the country’s challenges."

your party has moved pretty far from that mainstream too....

Your lib mouthpiece appears to be pissed that trump voters do not see him and his fellow libs in the news media as credible sources of information

and in that is correct

I dont respect journalists anymore or believe what they tell us
And that’s why the GOP has become a conspiracy cult. They don’t trust outside information.
Translation, they don't trust liars like the poster I quote.
Nope. They just don’t trust anything they don’t want to believe.

Wrong answer

ROFLOL! The Democratic Party dragged the country through the mud for 2 years while trying to peddle their bogus Trump-Russian-collusion conspiracy theory. You can't get a much bigger, wilder conspiracy theory than to claim that the GOP nominee conspired with the Russians and that that nominee has been doing the Russians' bidding after getting elected!
All of you nut-bars saying "Russian conspiracy theory" are an excellent demonstration of the issue being discussed in the OP.

I'm a world where conservatives bothered to educate themselves rather than just swallow the trips their "media" force feeds them tRump would be in prison pending trial.

The Russian connection is not a conspiracy theory, it's a well documented fact that you just chose not to believe.

Absolute fucking delusion

And that’s why the GOP has become a conspiracy cult. They don’t trust outside information.
And this from someone who probably believes the trump-russia collusion hoax

Ha! Not really. I’m glad it was investigated. The investigation showed a lot of shady behavior. Ultimately proved beyond a reasonable doubt that Russia was helping Trump get elected but y’all still can’t bring yourselves to admit it.

There's a Russian hiding in your closet. He's trying to change your vote in 2020. Better flee.

And this from someone who probably believes the trump-russia collusion hoax

Ha! Not really. I’m glad it was investigated. The investigation showed a lot of shady behavior. Ultimately proved beyond a reasonable doubt that Russia was helping Trump get elected but y’all still can’t bring yourselves to admit it.
Talk about seeing only what you want to see

thats totally delusional

I see the official results of an extensive and fair investigation into the meddling in the election backed up by the official results similar investigations from our intelligence communities and Congressional panels.

That’s being delusional?

Of course Russia interfered in the election, they sold you traitors the Steele Dossier... :eusa_whistle:

Last edited:

Your lib mouthpiece appears to be pissed that trump voters do not see him and his fellow libs in the news media as credible sources of information

and in that is correct

I dont respect journalists anymore or believe what they tell us
Translation, they don't trust liars like the poster I quote.
Nope. They just don’t trust anything they don’t want to believe.
Sounds more like your side of the political fence.
Some for sure. But Trump is the leader of your party and spent years as a birther so y’all win this contest. It isn’t even close.

Really Comrade traitor? So we spent years with the KGB (formerly FBI) digging into the birther shit? We staged a 2 year inquision only Republicans investigated and persecuted everyone Potentate Obamugabe ever met?

Really?

ROFLOL! The Democratic Party dragged the country through the mud for 2 years while trying to peddle their bogus Trump-Russian-collusion conspiracy theory. You can't get a much bigger, wilder conspiracy theory than to claim that the GOP nominee conspired with the Russians and that that nominee has been doing the Russians' bidding after getting elected!
All of you nut-bars saying "Russian conspiracy theory" are an excellent demonstration of the issue being discussed in the OP.

I'm a world where conservatives bothered to educate themselves rather than just swallow the trips their "media" force feeds them tRump would be in prison pending trial.

The Russian connection is not a conspiracy theory, it's a well documented fact that you just chose not to believe.

OH REALLY?

{
1. Potential Coordination: Conspiracy and Collusion

As an initial matter, this Office evaluated potentially criminal conduct that involved the

collective action of multiple individuals not under the rubric of "collusion," but through the lens

of conspiracy law. In so doing, the Office recognized that the word "collud[e]" appears in the

Acting Attorney General's August 2, 2017 memorandum; it has frequently been invoked in public

reporting; and it is sometimes referenced in antitrust law, see, cg, Brooke Group 12. Brown

Williamson Tobacco Corp, 509 US. 209, 227 (1993). But collusion is not a specific offense or

theory of liability found in the US. Code; nor is it a term of art in federal criminal law. To the

contrary, even as defined in legal dictionaries, collusion is largely synonymous with conspiracy as

that crime is set forth in the general federal conspiracy statute, 18 U.S.C. 371. See Black ?3 Law

Dictionary 321. (10th ed. 2014) (collusion is agreement to defraud another or to do or obtain

something forbidden by law?); 1 Alexander Burrill, A Law Dictionary and Glossary 31 (1871)

(?An agreement between two or more persons to defraud another by the forms of law, or to employ

such forms as means of accomplishing some unlawful object?); 1 Bouvier's Law Dictionary 352}

1. Potential Coordination: Conspiracy and Collusion

As an initial matter, this Office evaluated potentially criminal conduct that involved the

collective action of multiple individuals not under the rubric of "collusion," but through the lens

of conspiracy law. In so doing, the Office recognized that the word "collud[e]" appears in the

Acting Attorney General's August 2, 2017 memorandum; it has frequently been invoked in public

reporting
; and it is sometimes referenced in antitrust law, see, cg, Brooke Group 12. Brown

Williamson Tobacco Corp, 509 US. 209, 227 (1993). But collusion is not a specific offense or

theory of liability found in the US. Code; nor is it a term of art in federal criminal law. To the

contrary, even as defined in legal dictionaries, collusion is largely synonymous with conspiracy as

that crime is set forth in the general federal conspiracy statute, 18 U.S.C. 371. See Black's Law

Dictionary 321. (10th ed. 2014) (collusion is agreement to defraud another or to do or obtain

something forbidden by law); 1 Alexander Burrill, A Law Dictionary and Glossary 31 (1871)

(?An agreement between two or more persons to defraud another by the forms of law, or to employ

such forms as means of accomplishing some unlawful object?); 1 Bouvier's Law Dictionary 352}

Lying fucking moron.

Considering all the overwhelming, undeniable evidence of crimes, sedition, treason, and more by Obama, his criminal administration, and Democrats, by claiming there is a 'GOP Evolution Into A Conspiracy Cult', the OP has rendered his entire thread moot and self-identified as a Trump-hating, TDS-suffering, reality-denying, emotionally manipulated snowflake who should be ignored...and pitied.

It was certainly an issue during the later Reagan years. But it didn't really ramp up until Newt and his Republican Revolution rolled into town. For the Republican Party, it's been a slow, steady descent ever since. The moderates and real conservatives have been driven out of the party. They've given a home to every right wing kook in the country and tried to make enemies out of the media and anyone who questions their motives. The whole conspiracy theory immersion has been happening since Obama was elected. Throw any lie against the wall and see if it sticks. I'm hoping we can get back to something approaching a normal news cycle next January.

The conspiracy garbage started in the Clinton years.

They even had conspiracies about and investigated his Christmas card list. That's how ridiculous it got.

“The GOP has become an insurgent outlier in American politics. It is ideologically extreme; scornful of compromise; unmoved by conventional understanding of facts, evidence and science; and dismissive of the legitimacy of its political opposition.” ibid

Exactly.

The GOP is authoritarian and reactionary – Republicans are perfectly content with their minority rule, have nothing but contempt for the democratic process, and will do anything to retain that minority rule, no matter how wrong, reprehensible, or un-Constitutional.

Forum List

Back