We can't afford to get it wrong..........again.

CNN has repeated lie after lie. The carnage they predicted from COVID 19 hasn't been anywhere near close.
But..........that's a lie. What is fair to say is they likely reported on models predicting a higher case and death count if mitigation practices like social distancing were not complied with. The same kinds of practices Trump is encouraging people to break with by supporting nutbag protesters.

Maryland Gov. Larry Hogan slams Trump claim states have enough coronavirus testing to reopen as ‘absolutely false’

Maryland Gov. Larry Hogan, a Republican and chair of the National Governors Association, on Sunday dismissed as “absolutely false” Trump administration claims that states have adequate coronavirus testing capacity to begin gradually reopening their economies.

Hogan, speaking on CNN’s “State of the Union,” described the lack of testing as the biggest problem in the nation since the coronavirus pandemic hit the United States. The Maryland governor said he has “repeatedly” made that argument on behalf of America’s governors on both sides of the political aisle to leaders in Washington.

“The administration I think is trying to ramp up testing, they are doing some things with respect to private labs, but to try to push this off to say that the governors have plenty of testing and they should just to get to work on testing, somehow we are not doing our job -- is just absolutely false,” said Hogan, who once considered challenging Trump for the 2020 Republican presidential nomination.

CNN has repeated lie after lie. The carnage they predicted from COVID 19 hasn't been anywhere near close.
But..........that's a lie. What is fair to say is they likely reported on models predicting a higher case and death count if mitigation practices like social distancing were not complied with. The same kinds of practices Trump is encouraging people to break with by supporting nutbag protesters.

Actually, mitigation was factored into the models

In any event the Lockdown was initially sold to be a short 2 week period designed NOT to reduce the number of cases at all, but to "flatten the curve" and spread out the same number of cases, so that the hospital system would not be stressed past the breaking point.

When do you think the Economy should reopen?
The decision should be data dependent, and made on a regional basis, not an arbitrary date based on wishful thinking. I'm simply suggesting we need to be smart about this. Trying to move faster than the required systems in place allows for ultimately means the economy will take longer to completely re-open.
Stop being such a pussy. Either put on your big boy pants and get back to work or hide in your basement sucking your thumb and clutching your security blanket.

Some of us have been working this whole time. If we could take the risk from the beginning through the peak, you can take a much smaller risk now.
I know, i've been out and about this whole time.

Maryland Gov. Larry Hogan slams Trump claim states have enough coronavirus testing to reopen as ‘absolutely false’

Maryland Gov. Larry Hogan, a Republican and chair of the National Governors Association, on Sunday dismissed as “absolutely false” Trump administration claims that states have adequate coronavirus testing capacity to begin gradually reopening their economies.

Hogan, speaking on CNN’s “State of the Union,” described the lack of testing as the biggest problem in the nation since the coronavirus pandemic hit the United States. The Maryland governor said he has “repeatedly” made that argument on behalf of America’s governors on both sides of the political aisle to leaders in Washington.

“The administration I think is trying to ramp up testing, they are doing some things with respect to private labs, but to try to push this off to say that the governors have plenty of testing and they should just to get to work on testing, somehow we are not doing our job -- is just absolutely false,” said Hogan, who once considered challenging Trump for the 2020 Republican presidential nomination.

Are people who present with fevers and coughs to their doctors not being given this test because of inavailability in Maryland or elsewhere? I haven't heard of any shortage of it, in these parts at all.

In any event the Lockdown was initially sold to be a short 2 week period
Prove it.

Let's assume you are right. So what? The reality is a longer "lock down" was required to flatten the curve in order to prevent medical facilities from being overrun worse than they were. Would you rather have had a situation like Italy was in where care had to temporarily be rationed? It was bad enough in places like NYC as it is.

Stop being such a pussy. Either put on your big boy pants and get back to work or hide in your basement sucking your thumb and clutching your security blanket.
Here's the problem with that ignorant comment and why it defeats the purpose you so desperately desire. Opening the economy to soon will be a setback for what everyone wants. An eventual return to normalcy. Your approach virtually ensures a return to mandatory social distancing and will extend the period of economic malaise.
If you get it, you have a 98% chance to get well. There was no reason to shut the economy down. I mean i know you were for shutting the economy down, because you're butthurt.

In any event the Lockdown was initially sold to be a short 2 week period
Prove it.

Let's assume you are right. So what? The reality is a longer "lock down" was required to flatten the curve in order to prevent medical facilities from being overrun worse than they were. Would you rather have had a situation like Italy was in where care had to temporarily be rationed? It was bad enough in places like NYC as it is.

Here's an explanation from 16 March, explaining what flattening the curve meant. Not reducing the number of cases, it had to do with spreading them out.

The decision should be data dependent, and made on a regional basis, not an arbitrary date based on wishful thinking. I'm simply suggesting we need to be smart about this. Trying to move faster than the required systems in place allows for ultimately means the economy will take longer to completely re-open.

Trump just gave the decision to reopen to the states based on how theyre affected. That's how it should be done.
So you want a political decision rather than a Medical based one...

I know, i've been out and about this whole time.

:thup: It was our time...it sucked...but we did our civic duty. I can tell you I was worried. But just like me telling Bern if we can do it, he can do it...I looked to the healthcare and hospital workers, the cops and the garbage men and the cashiers and the UPS folks and mail carriers...folks that have much more face to face interaction with the public than I do...if they could do it, how could I sit home.

Trump just gave the decision to reopen to the states based on how theyre affected. That's how it should be done.

Medical technocrats certainly should be consulted, and the President and the governors are definitely doing just that.

However, this is a democracy, not a technocracy were bureaucrats tell the people the "right answer" and we the people just have to obey.

So the short answer is yes, I want the elected representatives of the people to make this determination.

There has to be a balance between the medical and the economic...the medical experts only calculate the equation in terms of the medical consequences...and if that was the only variable in the equation that could conceivably lead to loss of life we could just leave it to them. But it isn't the only variable in the equation...it's not even the only major variable. The case can be made easily at this point that the economic damage is the more severe threat. The equation must be balance between the two major threats and several other minor variables. That is not the within the pervue of the medical experts expertise

Medical technocrats certainly should be consulted, and the President and the governors are definitely doing just that.
Are you prepared to admit Trump was late to take their advice and is now going against their advice in pushing for the economy to be restarted by promoting violations of the guidelines the government issued?

There has to be a balance between the medical and the economic..
Agreed. We just disagree about whether the conditions currently exist to restart the economy to the extent some are pushing for.

BTW, that's the premise of the OP.

Forum List

Back