Washington Post: Stop expecting stores to have food and medicine, lower your expectations!

That's cool. I don't can but my grandparents taught me. I think more people, not a lot, but some......are starting to see what's happening and at least are giving themselves a chance by storing some food and supplies. Most think the govt will always be there for them but that never happens when a country collapses. We have about a year and a half supply of food stored along with the other necessities.

I bought a big bag of potatoes yesterday. I'm going to use a few of them to make chicken corn chowder tonight, and then make the rest into mashed potatoes and scalloped potatoes, then put them in containers and freeze them for storage. After that, I'm going to work on putting up other produce and side dishes. Definitely need to do some zucchini and squash, because it's super cheap at the moment and my family actually likes them. I'm mulling the idea of making some apple butter.

That's cool. I don't can but my grandparents taught me. I think more people, not a lot, but some......are starting to see what's happening and at least are giving themselves a chance by storing some food and supplies. Most think the govt will always be there for them but that never happens when a country collapses. We have about a year and a half supply of food stored along with the other necessities.
That's what the smart people have done. I just moved from the West Coast to the Midwest two months ago and right before the move I picked out a beef farmer I liked close to my new home and ordered a quarter. Now it's all cut and wrapped and in my freezer, along with a couple dozen chickens from the Hutterite colony just a few miles from here. I got about 50 pounds of onions from the colony as well, to dehydrate and store, and I'm going back this weekend to buy a bunch of potatoes to mash and freeze. This rounds out the storable food that I brought with me when I moved. And of course I will plant a garden next spring.

The only thing I am missing, I think, is the good beef broth that I canned last December but didn't want to risk trying to move in the U-Haul. I have not yet found a good source for cheap bones for making broth. I'm trying to make up for that lack by buying a half dozen jars of "Better Than Bullion" every time I go to Costco.

We will be the survivors when things get rough, and I personally will enjoy hearing the sorrows of the folks who battered us verbally because we wanted to be prepared.

Oh, yeah. And 150 rolls of toilet paper.

This OPED is a government plant.

ALWAYS MOVING THE GOALPOSTS.

Just disgusting

2e1.png

That's what the smart people have done. I just moved from the West Coast to the Midwest two months ago and right before the move I picked out a beef farmer I liked close to my new home and ordered a quarter. Now it's all cut and wrapped and in my freezer, along with a couple dozen chickens from the Hutterite colony just a few miles from here. I got about 50 pounds of onions from the colony as well, to dehydrate and store, and I'm going back this weekend to buy a bunch of potatoes to mash and freeze. This rounds out the storable food that I brought with me when I moved. And of course I will plant a garden next spring.

The only thing I am missing, I think, is the good beef broth that I canned last December but didn't want to risk trying to move in the U-Haul. I have not yet found a good source for cheap bones for making broth. I'm trying to make up for that lack by buying a half dozen jars of "Better Than Bullion" every time I go to Costco.

We will be the survivors when things get rough, and I personally will enjoy hearing the sorrows of the folks who battered us verbally because we wanted to be prepared.

Oh, yeah. And 150 rolls of toilet paper.

That's pretty impressive. Yeah, don't pay any attention to the people who mock you for being prepared.

That's pretty impressive. Yeah, don't pay any attention to the people who mock you for being prepared.
What I love is that the Hutterites not only have the best and cleanest farms, but they are never going to buy into the "vaccine passport" BS. Their farms are thriving and this means that they will always have food to trade for my money (or my silver).

What I love is that the Hutterites not only have the best and cleanest farms, but they are never going to buy into the "vaccine passport" BS. Their farms are thriving and this means that they will always have food to trade for my money (or my silver).

Vaccine passport is the first stop on the way to a social credit score system JUST THE SAME AS THE ONE GOOGLE CREATED FOR CHINA.

We recently got a Sam's Club membership primarily for the lower gas prices, and my husband has turned into a prepper/hoarder. We bought a freezer to put on our patio, and it's full of dead animals. Our closets are filling up with paper products and dry goods. And now, for the first time in our marriage, he's become interested in the canning and preserving skills I learned from my grandmother (he always thought they were amusing anarchisms before now).

I wish I could say he's gone a little nuts, but I really can't.
That's wonderful! The only relationship my husband had with my canning was the eating and making sure I didn't use the pressure canner in the house, since he was certain it was going to explode! He really did get very interested for a while in where all the chili ingredients came from, especially the beef broth I made and canned.

Ohmigod, did you see the quote from the CEO of Danish Crown that was printed in the NY Post? “Beef is not going to be super climate friendly. It will be a bit like champagne, namely a luxury product. The beef cattle will be a luxury product that we eat when we need to pamper ourselves.”
It has become important for me to have a freezer and buy beef directly from the farmer at about $6 a pound. It allows me to meet the small local farmers who are very conscientious about growing good quality beef, and who are more likely to fight for their way of life.

I have a sensitivity to a chemical that is in all plants, to differing degrees, so my diet depends on only a few fruits and vegetables and a large amount of animal protein. Beef is here to stay.

That's wonderful! The only relationship my husband had with my canning was the eating and making sure I didn't use the pressure canner in the house, since he was certain it was going to explode! He really did get very interested for a while in where all the chili ingredients came from, especially the beef broth I made and canned.

My husband is actually very proud of my old-fashioned housewife skills, and does everything he can to leave me time for it. We can't afford for me to stay at home without a paid job entirely, but he works overtime so that I can be part-time. Not only do I get to cook most of our meals from scratch (time-consuming, but I love doing it), but our house is full of craftwork I've done.

It has become important for me to have a freezer and buy beef directly from the farmer at about $6 a pound. It allows me to meet the small local farmers who are very conscientious about growing good quality beef, and who are more likely to fight for their way of life.

I have a sensitivity to a chemical that is in all plants, to differing degrees, so my diet depends on only a few fruits and vegetables and a large amount of animal protein. Beef is here to stay.

I don't know that anyone around here sells meat, but I love a good farmer's market for produce. Better flavor, and it allows me to ask them to sell me green tomatoes for fried green tomatoes, since you can't buy those in a supermarket.

I don't know that anyone around here sells meat, but I love a good farmer's market for produce. Better flavor, and it allows me to ask them to sell me green tomatoes for fried green tomatoes, since you can't buy those in a supermarket.
Yeah, once you buy grass-fed, free range beef, you never want to go back to store-bought meat.

I already lowered my expectations back in November.
Everything turned out exactly as I expected.
Biden and the Democrats are meeting all my expectations so far, especially in the massive overspending department.

I fatten my own cows for beef; corn fed is much better than grass fed. You can market anything to gullible hippies, like yogurt, or soybean 'burgers'.

Forum List

Back