Was the officer who knelt on George Floyd's neck, a racist?

I don't think it's possible to prove race-based motives behind the vast majority of these kinds of incidents.

I wish we would just leave race out of this. It just clouds up the discussion with something that can't be proven by either side.

The issue here is police incompetence, not police racism.

I don't think it's possible to prove race-based motives behind the vast majority of these kinds of incidents.

I wish we would just leave race out of this. It just clouds up the discussion with something that can't be proven by either side.

Considering this country's history, race is almost always the issue, if not just an issue.

To pretend otherwise is ludicrous.

Police are often racist tho, they just don't kill people over* it generally

Racial profiling* happens constantly

In this country the darker you are the more likely you are to be poor. And that correlates with crime and not being able to afford a lawyer

You can very easily prove they're discriminating against black and latino young men in stop %'s in majority white neighborhoods.

Anyone who is a non white man can relay stories of it being plain as day. And it is plain as day often.

Considering this country's history, race is almost always the issue, if not just an issue.

To pretend otherwise is ludicrous.

I don't dispute that racism is an issue, but it can't be proven. That's the problem.

If one guy punches another guy in the face, then we can't know what the motivating factor was. Maybe he punched him because he's racist. Maybe he punched because he has an issue with that guy. Maybe he punched him because he's just a jerk. Who knows? Instead of focusing on the motivating factor that we can't possibly know, focus on the actions itself - the punch.

By shifting attention to something subjective, you're lobbing up a softball for them to hit out of the park. They should easily be able to deny that race was a motivating factor.

In this country the darker you are the more likely you are to be poor. And that correlates with crime and not being able to afford a lawyer

You can very easily prove they're discriminating against black and latino young men in stop %'s in majority white neighborhoods.

Anyone who is a non white man can relay stories of it being plain as day. And it is plain as day often.

I don't disagree with that. But you can't prove any of that in a specific case like this.

Focus on the facts, not the suspected motivation.

I don't disagree with that. But you can't prove any of that in a specific case like this.

Focus on the facts, not the suspected motivation.

In any specific case i often cannot

I can prove that the disparate rates of stopping in white neighborhoods is obvious holistic racism tho.

Think the black professor who gets harassed going to his home in a nice college town. Those are why those stories hit the news. Because you know 100% it was racism.

The other most obvious stats are for example stop and frisk. Yes most violent crime in NY is done by black and latino men. But it is still illegal to just blanket them policing you would not do to a white in the same neighborhood.

They can get around this in poor neighborhoods. They're just policing the high crime rate block

Where I live and probably you live, they have no such excuses. They have to apply whatever standard they do to the white majority as they do everyone else. Which they do not.

Telling people to stop talking about it is absurd.

I can prove that the disparate rates of stopping in white neighborhoods is obvious holistic racism tho.

I agree with this.

Maybe I didn't make myself clear. I don't think we should stop talking about these issues. I think it's important to look at the trends and overall data.

But as it relates to Chauvin specifically, I don't think we should claim racism on this particular incident or any specific incident simply because it cannot be proven.

I agree with this.

Maybe I didn't make myself clear. I don't think we should stop talking about these issues. I think it's important to look at the trends and overall data.

But as it relates to Chauvin specifically, I don't think we should claim racism on this particular incident or any specific incident simply because it cannot be proven.

Until those trends are better you sound insane saying this tho

The reason this can blow up like that is because of the underlying rates and everyone knowing it

It's a powder keg.

Black America is convinced cops are killing them at high rates which really isn't even true. Because that's how poorly the police treat them. They'd believe it because they treat them like shit at all other times.

Floyd and others are a symptom of the same problem. Racial profiling in policing

You can be a billionaire and still get harassed by these fucks.

I agree with this.

The reason this can blow up like that is because of the underlying rates and everyone knowing it

It's a powder keg.

Black AMerica is convinced cops are killing them at high rates which really isn't even true. Because that's how poorly the police treat them. They'd believe it because they treat them like shit at all other times.

What exactly did I say that is insane?

That we shouldn't assume race was a factor in the Floyd death?

I agree with this.

It's a powder keg.

Black AMerica is convinced cops are killing them at high rates which really isn't even true. Because that's how poorly the police treat them. They'd believe it because they treat them like shit at all other times.

What exactly did I say that is insane?

That we shouldn't assume race was a factor in the Floyd death?

Yea considering the massive racial profiling you admit is going on

It's absurd to think anyone is just gonna drop it

Delusional to the point of INSANITY

Yea we're all just gonna ignore it? What the fuck is wrong with you?

It's going to come up constantly until it changes

Ok. So there's massive racial profiling. I agree on that.

Does that indicate that there was racial profiling in the Chauvin/Floyd incident? Is that your argument?

Because it happens a lot overall, it therefore happened in this incident?

Ok. So there's massive racial profiling. I agree on that.

Does that indicate that there was racial profiling in the Chauvin/Floyd incident? Is that your argument?

Because it happens a lot overall, it therefore happened in this incident?

It makes it massively more likely.....

The court of public opinion doesn't require much more than that

Tainted profession

"More likely"

So we don't necessarily know that racial profiling was involved in this.

Does that sound like a compelling argument to you? "Your honor, it is more likely that the defendant Chauvin racially profiled Floyd"

"More likely"

So we don't necessarily know that racial profiling was involved in this.

Does that sound like a compelling argument to you? "Your honor, the defendant Chauvin most likely racially profiled Floyd"

Yea it's almost like public opinion isn't a court of law

Amazing

Why the fuck do you keep talking about burdens of proof that have no relevance here?

They are rightly not going to shut up about it. And cops should behave better if they want to be treated better

I just read an article on Yahoo News that came from the New York Times concerning Derek Chauvin, the officer who knelt on George Floyd's neck.
'Don't Kill Me': Others Tell of Abuse by Officer Who Knelt on George Floyd (yahoo.com)
A few paragraphs down you can read that there were "six arrests as far back as 2015 that the Minnesota attorney general's office sought to introduce, arguing that they showed how Chauvin was using excessive force when he restrained people". In the next paragraph, you can read this. "Of the six people arrested, two were black, one was Latino and one was Native American. The race of the other two was not included in the arrest reports that reporters examined."

I would like to know the race of these other two people. It seems to me that since race was not included in these arrest reports, it is possible that they were white. If that is the case (I am not suggesting that I am convinced that they were white) that would prove that Derek Chauvin is not a racist. He may have been a bad cop, deserving of being removed from law enforcement, but if he is not racist, then this whole "George Floyd was killed by a racist cop" was not the truth. Maybe all the violence and destruction would not have happened.

This is how the police operate in blue cities. They WANT it this way.

I just read an article on Yahoo News that came from the New York Times concerning Derek Chauvin, the officer who knelt on George Floyd's neck.
'Don't Kill Me': Others Tell of Abuse by Officer Who Knelt on George Floyd (yahoo.com)
A few paragraphs down you can read that there were "six arrests as far back as 2015 that the Minnesota attorney general's office sought to introduce, arguing that they showed how Chauvin was using excessive force when he restrained people". In the next paragraph, you can read this. "Of the six people arrested, two were black, one was Latino and one was Native American. The race of the other two was not included in the arrest reports that reporters examined."

I would like to know the race of these other two people. It seems to me that since race was not included in these arrest reports, it is possible that they were white. If that is the case (I am not suggesting that I am convinced that they were white) that would prove that Derek Chauvin is not a racist. He may have been a bad cop, deserving of being removed from law enforcement, but if he is not racist, then this whole "George Floyd was killed by a racist cop" was not the truth. Maybe all the violence and destruction would not have happened.
I wonder why people think that just because youre a racist that keeps you from being a general all around asshole to others? Seems to me the two would go hand in hand.

Yea it's almost like public opinion isn't a court of law

I wasn't talking about public opinion. I don't even know how one would argue public opinion.

Person A thinks one thing and Person B thinks something else. A and B disagree. Ok. Settled?

I wonder why people think that just because youre a racist that keeps you from being a general all around asshole to others? Seems to me the two would go hand in hand.

If you're an equal opportunity asshole you're not a racist by definition

Forum List

Back