War Horse...

I don't see what was so bad about Warhorse. I wouldn't rate it among the greatest movies ever made by a long shot, but I enjoyed it more than most of the crap I've watched this year. I will say I've never been exposed to this particular story line via any other artistic vehicle, so I post from the perspective of someone to who the entire thing was new and didn't risk coming up short in comparisons to previous "versions".

I can see how people would consider the story uneven and disjointed, and one of the costs of the horse transitioning through so many story lines was that there wouldn't be time for much significant character development in any of them. However, the main characters were all pretty relatable, if a bit static, the acting was on point, the choreography was awesome, and I really liked that last bit with the soldiers cutting Joey out of the barbed wire. It's like those accounts of the shooting stopping on the front lines on Christmas eve and the US and German troops firing Christmas carols back and forth between the trenches. I'm a sucker for those stories.

There was nothing particularly artistically profound about it, so I wouldn't classify it as a great film, but at the cost of 2 bonghits and 2 hours, I'd say it was worth the admission.

Forum List

Back