Want a bike lane in your neighborhood? It’s not so simple in California

Drop Dead Fred

Platinum Member
Jun 6, 2020
This is hilarious. California is so insane that its environmentalists are actually PREVENTING bike lanes from being built.

Want a bike lane in your neighborhood? It's not so simple in California

By Liam Dillon

April 7, 2016

For many years, Berkeley bike advocates have pushed for their own lane on a two-block stretch of Fulton Street. The conditions seem ripe for one. It would connect two existing bike lanes in a bustling area between UC Berkeley and downtown. Bike racks already line the sidewalk.

But when asked, the city delivered an answer the advocates say they have heard time and again: The bike lane couldn’t go in because of the state’s premier environmental law.

The California Environmental Quality Act, known as CEQA, has stymied bike lanes up and down the state for more than a decade. Los Angeles, Oakland, San Diego and San Francisco have faced lawsuits, years of delay and abandoned projects because the environmental law’s restrictions often require costly traffic studies, lengthy public hearings and major road reconfigurations before bike lanes are installed.

All told, bicycle advocates say the law has blocked hundreds of miles of potential bike lanes across the state.

This is hilarious. California is so insane that its environmentalists are actually PREVENTING bike lanes from being built.

By Liam Dillon

April 7, 2016

For many years, Berkeley bike advocates have pushed for their own lane on a two-block stretch of Fulton Street. The conditions seem ripe for one. It would connect two existing bike lanes in a bustling area between UC Berkeley and downtown. Bike racks already line the sidewalk.

But when asked, the city delivered an answer the advocates say they have heard time and again: The bike lane couldn’t go in because of the state’s premier environmental law.

The California Environmental Quality Act, known as CEQA, has stymied bike lanes up and down the state for more than a decade. Los Angeles, Oakland, San Diego and San Francisco have faced lawsuits, years of delay and abandoned projects because the environmental law’s restrictions often require costly traffic studies, lengthy public hearings and major road reconfigurations before bike lanes are installed.

All told, bicycle advocates say the law has blocked hundreds of miles of potential bike lanes across the state.
Good. They are vehicles. We don't have special lanes for busses---or trucks---or skateboards. They are subject to the same laws as any other vehicle on the road. If they want special lanes--make them register their vehicles with the money going for the installation and upkeep of bike lanes. If there is no money in the fund--no bike lanes.

By Liam Dillon

April 7, 2016

We don't have any bike lanes in my neighborhood nor do we have environmentalist..

Good. They are vehicles. We don't have special lanes for busses---or trucks---or skateboards. They are subject to the same laws as any other vehicle on the road. If they want special lanes--make them register their vehicles with the money going for the installation and upkeep of bike lanes. If there is no money in the fund--no bike lanes.
Bikes can’t keep up with the speed of traffic on a roadway with cars. What are you talking about?

Bikes can’t keep up with the speed of traffic on a roadway with cars. What are you talking about?
What do you suggest then moron? They can't ride on the sidewalks. They are and have always been considered vehicles, subject to the same laws as any other vehicle. As for not keeping up, not all cars go the same speed, indeed, in CA, trucks are restricted to 55 mph on freeways that auto traffic speed limits are 70 mph. STFU, you are an idiot. Have another drink.

I got to California in 1950. Been here ever since. In the SF bay area there are bike lanes everywhere. No one uses them of course but we have them.

On a percentage basis, very few people actually use bike lanes. And of course, they pay no gasoline taxes.

I like 'em, and I ride a lot, but i depend on my native smarts to keep alive. I ride on roads that are generally bike friendly, and I literally can't remember the last time a car driver put me in danger. Usually, they are so cautious that they put themselves in danger by giving me more room that I want or need.

In this case, I agree with the faceless bureaucrats. Bike lanes should be limited to places where they cause no inconvenience to cars and trucks.

Forum List

Back