Walt Whitman statue, a target of protests, to be removed from center of Rutgers–Camden campus

The Purge

Platinum Member
Aug 16, 2018
Rutgers University-Camden will remove a statue of the famous poet Walt Whitman from the center of campus as a result of activists’ petitions and a recommendation from a committee of scholars.

The statue of Whitman, featured prominently in the front courtyard of Camden’s Campus Center, will be “relocated to a historically relevant site on campus and contextualized,” interim Chancellor Margaret Marsh recently announced in an email to students and employees.

That new location has yet to be announced by campus officials.

(Excerpt) Read more at thecollegefix.com .

Moving the statue will make the RedTards feel virtuous but Camden will still be a hell hole and remain one of the most dangerous cities in NJ.

Monkey.jpg

Whitman writes in 1858:

Who believes that the Whites and Blacks can ever amalgamate in America? Or who wishes it to happen? Nature has set an impassable seal against it. Besides, is not America for the Whites? And is it not better so?

After the Civil War, Whitman calls the slaves “millions of ignorant foreigners…with about as much intellect and calibre (in the mass) as so many baboons…” In November Boughs, he writes of black Union soldiers: “very black in color, large, protruding lips, low forehead, etc. But I have to say that I do not see one utterly revolting face.”

The white troops he finds “superb looking.”

So yea why would black students want to see a statue of this racist POS in the middle of campus?

Rutgers University-Camden will remove a statue of the famous poet Walt Whitman from the center of campus as a result of activists’ petitions and a recommendation from a committee of scholars.

The statue of Whitman, featured prominently in the front courtyard of Camden’s Campus Center, will be “relocated to a historically relevant site on campus and contextualized,” interim Chancellor Margaret Marsh recently announced in an email to students and employees.

Moving the statue will make the RedTards feel virtuous but Camden will still be a hell hole and remain one of the most dangerous cities in NJ.
What's wrong with Oh Captain My Captain?

Why would anybody protest Walt Whitman?

The current crop are the dumbest generation of people ever.
Yep... and they're worse because they're willfully ignorant and get a high from the hate. For people who are the smartest in any room (they'll tell you so), they seem unaware of what happens to the true believers after the Marxists are firmly in power.

I assume he was RAY-SUS! I stopped bothering to even listen to their bullshit after the little bastards took down or defaced statues of some of our FOUNDERS. Anyone who hates those men, also hate my country and therefore are my enemy.

they are just moving the statue somewhere else on campus. Ole Miss moved it's "rebel statue to the confederate soldiers graves. When I studied Whitman briefly in 1974-5 I never learned of his racist views. Now perhaps his broader record will be viewed. He was still an amazing person. But it is interesting that his humanity and inclusiveness of America apparantly didn't include african americans ... but his views may have changed in his latter years ... as did Lincoln's. If they did change, I'd have voted (if I had one) to leave it in place.

Yep... and they're worse because they're willfully ignorant and get a high from the hate. For people who are the smartest in any room (they'll tell you so), they seem unaware of what happens to the true believers after the Marxists are firmly in power.
well, they're not ignorant of his having racist views. I don't know if he rejected the views at some time.

Walt Whitman was an abolitionist, hated slavery. That's what's wrong with him.

well, they're not ignorant of his having racist views. I don't know if he rejected the views at some time.
He lived in a different era. People who apply standards of today to eras of the past are up to no good.

I assume he was RAY-SUS! I stopped bothering to even listen to their bullshit after the little bastards took down or defaced statues of some of our FOUNDERS. Anyone who hates those men, also hate my country and therefore are my enemy.
I just look him up to see if there was something I glossed over in various lit classes. Saw nothing to indicate he was racist, certainly never slave own, doubt he was any more racist the Abraham Lincoln, whom he was a great fan of. He did volunteer work nursing wounded soldiers in hospital a Union Military hospital. Some said he was gay or bi, but who cares anymore. They said he liked sunbath nude. I have seen picture of the man with his clothes on, nude might be revolting, but it wasn't in my yard. Whoever started the post did not post anything of what they would protest about. I think he was one of the greatest American poets that ever lived.

Idiotic thread premise.

Local communities are at liberty to do as they wish with statues, monuments, and the like.

Removing a statue of Walt Whitman isn’t going to eliminate him textbooks, literary anthologies, and the internet.

Conservatives need to stop with this inane sophistry.

Forum List

Back