Walt Whitman statue, a target of protests, to be removed from center of Rutgers–Camden campus

Correll

I don't support Cancel Culture. You are such a lying moron.

He is a racist, too--I looked further. And it's bad. But I still admire his work, like I admire Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, for what they did right.

Someday, when they don't need you anymore, the lefty mob will turn on you.
Exactly. The Party is of the state and all powerful and godless. The minions to be use until not needed.

I dunno....is it?

What was he most known for? His poetry. Every hero has human flaws, every artist, sports figure, leader. You’ve heard often enough criticisms of Martin Luther King for having affairs. Do you just discard them all? Isn’t that throwing the baby out with the bathwater?

I think this can go to far...we will left with nothing because everyone is flawed.

POssibly. They will probably make exceptions for lefty icons, like MLK and Che, for example.

As long as the mob loves you, you will be forgiven. Just like in the French Revolution.

And just like the French Revolution, when they run out of other heads to chop, you'll be next up on the guillotine.

Shhh, no spoilers. It will be funnier that way.

Not to worry. Leftists aren't bright enough to learn from me, any more than they're bright enough to learn from a history book.
Oh, they learn from you. Nothing like a bad example to teach a lesson.

Last edited:
I dunno....is it?

What was he most known for? His poetry. Every hero has human flaws, every artist, sports figure, leader. You’ve heard often enough criticisms of Martin Luther King for having affairs. Do you just discard them all? Isn’t that throwing the baby out with the bathwater?

I think this can go to far...we will left with nothing because everyone is flawed.
The smears against MLK are all lies that have all been debunked.

As for Whitman, it's about who we revere, so yes, I agree with once we have a more comprehensive and accurate understanding of historical figures to correct our stance on them.
What do you mean “correct your stance”? No one is perfect...so when does a flaw overcome everything else the person may have done? I think the refusal to look at a life in it’s entirety and it only on the flaws is short sighted. I think it is clear MLK had affairs, but equally, it should not detract from his overall contributions.

Last edited:
I dunno....is it?

As for Whitman, it's about who we revere, so yes, I agree with once we have a more comprehensive and accurate understanding of historical figures to correct our stance on them.
What do you mean “correct your stance”? No one is perfect...so when does a flaw overcome everything else the person may have done? I think the refusal to look at a life in it’s entirety and it only on the flaws is short sighted. I think it is clear MLK had affairs, but equally, it should detract from his overall contributions.

Don't you mean "should NOT"?

I dunno....is it?

What do you mean “correct your stance”? No one is perfect...so when does a flaw overcome everything else the person may have done? I think the refusal to look at a life in it’s entirety and it only on the flaws is short sighted. I think it is clear MLK had affairs, but equally, it should detract from his overall contributions.

Yes...I corrected it.

I dunno....is it?

Yes...I corrected it.

Your intent was obvious from the context.

What do you mean “correct your stance”? No one is perfect...so when does a flaw overcome everything else the person may have done? I think the refusal to look at a life in it’s entirety and it only on the flaws is short sighted. I think it is clear MLK had affairs, but equally, it should not detract from his overall contributions.
I'd truly like to see the evidence of MLK's alleged affairs.

Back to Whitman, et al, America is an extremely immature and childish country, both literally and figuratively, as such they have a tendency to revere their pet historical figures. This is a fact. Now, clearly, no one is perfect. Clearly. However, no one is God either, nor are they beyond reproach.

For every figure you decide to honor there are 10s, if not 100s more that are being ignored, many who are more deserving of that honor. So yes, let's start being more comprehensive and inclusive in our telling of history and who we choose to revere and/or honor.

I dunno....is it?

Being a racist isn't a flaw.
Yes, it is. Like a lot of flaws. He was also a product of his time. Should that take away from his art? I think it is better to appreciate his art abd understand the context of his times.
I disagree, there were a lot of white folks who weren't racist at that time, so trying to claim that being a racist is a flaw is a joke.
Who gives a shit about that. Are you saying Al Sharpton is not a Racist? Or Reveran GD America Wright? Louis Farrakhan? Or all the filthy LOOTERS from last summer?

1626315312392.png

Look what they are replacing it with. Crazy!

Back to Whitman, et al, America is an extremely immature and childish country, both literally and figuratively, as such they have a tendency to revere their pet historical figures. This is a fact. Now, clearly, no one is perfect. Clearly. However, no one is God either, nor are they beyond reproach.

For every figure you decide to honor there are 10s, if not 100s more that are being ignored, many who are more deserving of that honor. So yes, let's start being more comprehensive and inclusive in our telling of history and who we choose to revere and/or honor.
No. Lets not. This is a great Country. Those who don't like it should go elsewhere.

I dunno....is it?

Being a racist isn't a flaw.
Yes, it is. Like a lot of flaws. He was also a product of his time. Should that take away from his art? I think it is better to appreciate his art abd understand the context of his times.
I disagree, there were a lot of white folks who weren't racist at that time, so trying to claim that being a racist is a flaw is a joke.
Who gives a shit about that. Are you saying Al Sharpton is not a Racist? Or Reveran GD America Wright? Louis Farrakhan? Or all the filthy LOOTERS from last summer?
When did any of them say the things about white folks that Whitman said about black folks.

Revering historical figures, is a sign of a HEALTHY society. NOT doing that, is a sign of a decadent and declining society.

You are rignt to some degree, there is a certain capriciousness in who we deem worthy and it is also heavily influenced by a culture that long marginalized the contributions of women and minorities.

But some of the attitudes remind me of the "anti-elite" actions of the Maoist revolution in China, where anything that spoke of being educated was destroyed,including people. Whitman was honored for his poetry, not his racist attitude. We are just realizing he wasnt a perfect human being. Does thT mean his body of work is now not worth honoring and remembering? Was tbe statue or poetry racist?

Honoring people should not be a zero sum endeavor. If there others worthy of it, add them in. You don't have to subtract.

FUCK THEM!!!

He is the poet who wrote:

A man’s body at auction
(For before the war I often go to the slave-mart and watch the sale.)
I help the auctioneer, the sloven does not half know his business. . .
Gentlemen look on this wonder.
Whatever the bids of the bidders they cannot be high enough for it. (1)
This is not only one man, this the father of those who shall be fathers
in their turns
In him the start of populous states and rich republics, Of him count-
less immortal lives with countless embodiments and enjoyments,

If people can't take a little ugly truth in their art, they should stay away from Whitman. He was an observer, a fierce lover of humans in all their various situations. He had as much repect for the ferry man as the Senator.
He was describing a situation that existed in his country, in his time. He talked about it, and he sang that slave's praises the same as the Scottish housewife feeding her chickens. HE SAW WHAT HE SAW AND HE TALKED ABOUT IT. Too fucking bad.

This is an outstanding article for those interested in his work:

Yup, like many poorly educated, he fell for the pseudo science later in life:

Like many white intellectuals, Whitman seems to have been seduced by the proliferation of racist pseudo-science in the post-Civil War era, a body of thought largely produced in reaction to black emancipation and the prospects of black citizenship rights as voters and office-holders.

He was a man of his times. His heart said one thing and the heads of others persuaded him of something else, but I will ALWAYS follow Leaves of Grass as the essence of who he was.

There are those who choose to look at that later racist crap he bought rather than the body of his extraordinary work. We've all got that right, but I hope he gets a good berth wherever they move him, because he deserves it.
And, so, it IS possible for a good person to be influenced by the times he lives in, and it is unreasonable to hold that person to today's standards.

That is the real problem.

It is a deliberate attempt to destroy the current system and replace it. 3 guesses as to what the authoritarians want to replace the current system with.

I'll give you some hints:

M _ _ _ _ _ M

C_ _ _ _ _ _ _ M

S_ _ _ _ _ _ _ M

You don't have to destroy or dishonor some to honor others.

Nobody is all bad or all good.

Holding people who lived 150+ years ago to today's standards is beyond unreasonable and ridiculous (unless the real goal is something else)(it is).

The sad part of all this is that you are probably think the people you support give a single fuck about you. That's the difference, I suppose. I KNOW they people I support are VERY self-interested, no matter who they are. I make sure that their interests are aligned with mine.

I dunno....is it?

POssibly. They will probably make exceptions for lefty icons, like MLK and Che, for example.

As long as the mob loves you, you will be forgiven. Just like in the French Revolution.

And just like the French Revolution, when they run out of other heads to chop, you'll be next up on the guillotine.

Shhh, no spoilers. It will be funnier that way.

Not to worry. Leftists aren't bright enough to learn from me, any more than they're bright enough to learn from a history book.
Oh, they learn from you. Nothing like a bad example to teach a lesson.

Glad to know you've found a purpose for your existence.

Forum List

Back