Walt Whitman statue, a target of protests, to be removed from center of Rutgers–Camden campus

I dunno....is it?

What was he most known for? His poetry. Every hero has human flaws, every artist, sports figure, leader. You’ve heard often enough criticisms of Martin Luther King for having affairs. Do you just discard them all? Isn’t that throwing the baby out with the bathwater?

I think this can go to far...we will left with nothing because everyone is flawed.

POssibly. They will probably make exceptions for lefty icons, like MLK and Che, for example.

As long as the mob loves you, you will be forgiven. Just like in the French Revolution.
Or the January 6th insurrection.

MLK is hardly comparable to Gueverra. one was about peace the other violence.

The point about the giving of passes, stands.

Rutgers University-Camden will remove a statue of the famous poet Walt Whitman from the center of campus as a result of activists’ petitions and a recommendation from a committee of scholars.

The statue of Whitman, featured prominently in the front courtyard of Camden’s Campus Center, will be “relocated to a historically relevant site on campus and contextualized,” interim Chancellor Margaret Marsh recently announced in an email to students and employees.

That new location has yet to be announced by campus officials.

(Excerpt) Read more at thecollegefix.com .

Moving the statue will make the RedTards feel virtuous but Camden will still be a hell hole and remain one of the most dangerous cities in NJ.
Wasn't Walt Whitman a cake boy?

Rutgers is anti-LBGQWERTY

FUCK THEM!!!

He is the poet who wrote:

A man’s body at auction
(For before the war I often go to the slave-mart and watch the sale.)
I help the auctioneer, the sloven does not half know his business. . .
Gentlemen look on this wonder.
Whatever the bids of the bidders they cannot be high enough for it. (1)
This is not only one man, this the father of those who shall be fathers
in their turns
In him the start of populous states and rich republics, Of him count-
less immortal lives with countless embodiments and enjoyments,

If people can't take a little ugly truth in their art, they should stay away from Whitman. He was an observer, a fierce lover of humans in all their various situations. He had as much repect for the ferry man as the Senator.
He was describing a situation that existed in his country, in his time. He talked about it, and he sang that slave's praises the same as the Scottish housewife feeding her chickens. HE SAW WHAT HE SAW AND HE TALKED ABOUT IT. Too fucking bad.

This is an outstanding article for those interested in his work:

Yup, like many poorly educated, he fell for the pseudo science later in life:

Like many white intellectuals, Whitman seems to have been seduced by the proliferation of racist pseudo-science in the post-Civil War era, a body of thought largely produced in reaction to black emancipation and the prospects of black citizenship rights as voters and office-holders.

He was a man of his times. His heart said one thing and the heads of others persuaded him of something else, but I will ALWAYS follow Leaves of Grass as the essence of who he was.

There are those who choose to look at that later racist crap he bought rather than the body of his extraordinary work. We've all got that right, but I hope he gets a good berth wherever they move him, because he deserves it.

I dunno....is it?

What was he most known for? His poetry. Every hero has human flaws, every artist, sports figure, leader. You’ve heard often enough criticisms of Martin Luther King for having affairs. Do you just discard them all? Isn’t that throwing the baby out with the bathwater?

I think this can go to far...we will left with nothing because everyone is flawed.
Being a racist isn't a flaw.
Yes, it is. Like a lot of flaws. He was also a product of his time. Should that take away from his art? I think it is better to appreciate his art abd understand the context of his times.
I disagree, there were a lot of white folks who weren't racist at that time, so trying to claim that being a racist is a flaw is a joke.
If it isn't a flaw what is it? What makes it different than an other bad outlooks? Did he do things to harm people to the point where his art becomes unaaceptable even on context? Racist ideation was common.

Do you learn a flaw? Being a racist is usually learned behavior, you see young black and white kids playing with each other all the time and then somewhere as they get older skin color becomes an issue. His are should be in a theater or museum, a statue doesn't change what his art is or isn't.

FUCK THEM!!!

He is the poet who wrote:

A man’s body at auction
(For before the war I often go to the slave-mart and watch the sale.)
I help the auctioneer, the sloven does not half know his business. . .
Gentlemen look on this wonder.
Whatever the bids of the bidders they cannot be high enough for it. (1)
This is not only one man, this the father of those who shall be fathers
in their turns
In him the start of populous states and rich republics, Of him count-
less immortal lives with countless embodiments and enjoyments,

If people can't take a little ugly truth in their art, they should stay away from Whitman. He was an observer, a fierce lover of humans in all their various situations. He had as much repect for the ferry man as the Senator.
He was describing a situation that existed in his country, in his time. He talked about it, and he sang that slave's praises the same as the Scottish housewife feeding her chickens. HE SAW WHAT HE SAW AND HE TALKED ABOUT IT. Too fucking bad.

This is an outstanding article for those interested in his work:

Yup, like many poorly educated, he fell for the pseudo science later in life:

Like many white intellectuals, Whitman seems to have been seduced by the proliferation of racist pseudo-science in the post-Civil War era, a body of thought largely produced in reaction to black emancipation and the prospects of black citizenship rights as voters and office-holders.

He was a man of his times. His heart said one thing and the heads of others persuaded him of something else, but I will ALWAYS follow Leaves of Grass as the essence of who he was.

There are those who choose to look at that later racist crap he bought rather than the body of his extraordinary work. We've all got that right, but I hope he gets a good berth wherever they move him, because he deserves it.

Sorry old lady. That is not what Cancel Culture, which you support, is all about. Old white guy says the wrong thing, everything they have ever done is defined by what the mob says about it.

And if you differ with them, you might be next.

Correll

I don't support Cancel Culture. You are such a lying moron.

He is a racist, too--I looked further. And it's bad. But I still admire his work, like I admire Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, for what they did right.

Correll

I don't support Cancel Culture. You are such a lying moron.

He is a racist, too--I looked further. And it's bad. But I still admire his work, like I admire Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, for what they did right.

Someday, when they don't need you anymore, the lefty mob will turn on you.

Rutgers University-Camden will remove a statue of the famous poet Walt Whitman from the center of campus as a result of activists’ petitions and a recommendation from a committee of scholars.

The statue of Whitman, featured prominently in the front courtyard of Camden’s Campus Center, will be “relocated to a historically relevant site on campus and contextualized,” interim Chancellor Margaret Marsh recently announced in an email to students and employees.

Moving the statue will make the RedTards feel virtuous but Camden will still be a hell hole and remain one of the most dangerous cities in NJ.
Why would anybody protest Walt Whitman?

Because he apparently had the bad taste to not hold 21st century "woke" views back in the 19th century. Fool should have jumped in his time machine, jetted to today, and found out what he was supposed to believe back then.

george-orwell-quote-1.jpg

they are just moving the statue somewhere else on campus. Ole Miss moved it's "rebel statue to the confederate soldiers graves. When I studied Whitman briefly in 1974-5 I never learned of his racist views. Now perhaps his broader record will be viewed. He was still an amazing person. But it is interesting that his humanity and inclusiveness of America apparantly didn't include african americans ... but his views may have changed in his latter years ... as did Lincoln's. If they did change, I'd have voted (if I had one) to leave it in place.

I'm not entirely sure why his "broader record" particularly needs viewing. Also not sure why anyone would be unaware that a man who died in 1894 probably didn't have the most enlightened views on race. It's sort of a gimme, and who gives a fuck? He's a writer. His writing is good, or it isn't. Artists frequently are not terrific human beings, and it has fuck-all to do with their talent.

The current crop are the dumbest generation of people ever.
Yep... and they're worse because they're willfully ignorant and get a high from the hate. For people who are the smartest in any room (they'll tell you so), they seem unaware of what happens to the true believers after the Marxists are firmly in power.
well, they're not ignorant of his having racist views. I don't know if he rejected the views at some time.

Probably not. Why would he? They were the mainstream during his lifetime, and what the fuck does it have to do with the reasons that he's remembered?

I dunno....is it?

POssibly. They will probably make exceptions for lefty icons, like MLK and Che, for example.

As long as the mob loves you, you will be forgiven. Just like in the French Revolution.

And just like the French Revolution, when they run out of other heads to chop, you'll be next up on the guillotine.

I dunno....is it?

And just like the French Revolution, when they run out of other heads to chop, you'll be next up on the guillotine.

Shhh, no spoilers. It will be funnier that way.

I dunno....is it?

The smears against MLK are all lies that have all been debunked.

As for Whitman, it's about who we revere, so yes, I agree with once we have a more comprehensive and accurate understanding of historical figures to correct our stance on them.

I dunno....is it?

Shhh, no spoilers. It will be funnier that way.

Not to worry. Leftists aren't bright enough to learn from me, any more than they're bright enough to learn from a history book.

What's wrong with Oh Captain My Captain?
That line was made more famous because of Robin Williams movie Dead Poet Society that was made a few decades ago.

Rutgers has a long history of hiring Communist Party card carrying Professors. In 1971, I entered Rutgers as a freshman and had 2 Communist Party professors that bragged about being members. One in Political Science and the other in Sociology.
True story and this does not surprise me in the least.
50 years of Marxist indoctrination has caught up to us, and we also paid for it!!
This is some insidious shit.....

Forum List

Back