Walt Whitman statue, a target of protests, to be removed from center of Rutgers–Camden campus

Whitman writes in 1858:

Who believes that the Whites and Blacks can ever amalgamate in America? Or who wishes it to happen? Nature has set an impassable seal against it. Besides, is not America for the Whites? And is it not better so?

After the Civil War, Whitman calls the slaves “millions of ignorant foreigners…with about as much intellect and calibre (in the mass) as so many baboons…” In November Boughs, he writes of black Union soldiers: “very black in color, large, protruding lips, low forehead, etc. But I have to say that I do not see one utterly revolting face.”

The white troops he finds “superb looking.”

So yea why would black students want to see a statue of this racist POS in the middle of campus?
He was right. Blacks have STILL not amalgamated in the US, and its been almost 70 years since he made that prediction. Whats wrong about his claim?

Whitman writes in 1858:

Who believes that the Whites and Blacks can ever amalgamate in America? Or who wishes it to happen? Nature has set an impassable seal against it. Besides, is not America for the Whites? And is it not better so?

After the Civil War, Whitman calls the slaves “millions of ignorant foreigners…with about as much intellect and calibre (in the mass) as so many baboons…” In November Boughs, he writes of black Union soldiers: “very black in color, large, protruding lips, low forehead, etc. But I have to say that I do not see one utterly revolting face.”

So yea why would black students want to see a statue of this racist POS in the middle of campus?
He was right. Blacks have STILL not amalgamated in the US, and its been almost 70 years since he made that prediction. Whats wrong about his claim?
That’s because democrats keep blacks segregated. Victim voting block.

Whitman writes in 1858:

To a racist POS like you, nothing.

Whitman writes in 1858:

To a racist POS like you, nothing.
You havent explained whats racist yet.

I dunno....is it?

What was he most known for? His poetry. Every hero has human flaws, every artist, sports figure, leader. You’ve heard often enough criticisms of Martin Luther King for having affairs. Do you just discard them all? Isn’t that throwing the baby out with the bathwater?

I think this can go to far...we will left with nothing because everyone is flawed.

Whitman writes in 1858:

That’s because democrats keep blacks segregated. Victim voting block.
Yea we need to start voting for Republiklans.

I dunno....is it?

What was he most known for? His poetry. Every hero has human flaws, every artist, sports figure, leader. You’ve heard often enough criticisms of Martin Luther King for having affairs. Do you just discard them all? Isn’t that throwing the baby out with the bathwater?

I think this can go to far...we will left with nothing because everyone is flawed.
Being a racist isn't a flaw.

I dunno....is it?

Yes, it is. Like a lot of flaws. He was also a product of his time. Should that take away from his art? I think it is better to appreciate his art abd understand the context of his times.

I dunno....is it?

Yes, it is. Like a lot of flaws. He was also a product of his time. Should that take away from his art? I think it is better to appreciate his art abd understand the context of his times.
I disagree, there were a lot of white folks who weren't racist at that time, so trying to claim that being a racist is a flaw is a joke.

I dunno....is it?

Id say its your biggest flaw.

they are just moving the statue somewhere else on campus. Ole Miss moved it's "rebel statue to the confederate soldiers graves. When I studied Whitman briefly in 1974-5 I never learned of his racist views. Now perhaps his broader record will be viewed. He was still an amazing person. But it is interesting that his humanity and inclusiveness of America apparantly didn't include african americans ... but his views may have changed in his latter years ... as did Lincoln's. If they did change, I'd have voted (if I had one) to leave it in place.

You'd kiss a George Floyd statue.

Everyone knows it, loon

Rutgers University-Camden will remove a statue of the famous poet Walt Whitman from the center of campus as a result of activists’ petitions and a recommendation from a committee of scholars.

The statue of Whitman, featured prominently in the front courtyard of Camden’s Campus Center, will be “relocated to a historically relevant site on campus and contextualized,” interim Chancellor Margaret Marsh recently announced in an email to students and employees.

That new location has yet to be announced by campus officials.

(Excerpt) Read more at thecollegefix.com .

Moving the statue will make the RedTards feel virtuous but Camden will still be a hell hole and remain one of the most dangerous cities in NJ.
Idiotic thread premise.

Local communities are at liberty to do as they wish with statues, monuments, and the like.

Removing a statue of Walt Whitman isn’t going to eliminate him textbooks, literary anthologies, and the internet.

Conservatives need to stop with this inane sophistry.

Cripes you're annoying, Jones

And absolutely nobody listens to a mama boy

Rutgers University-Camden will remove a statue of the famous poet Walt Whitman from the center of campus as a result of activists’ petitions and a recommendation from a committee of scholars.

The statue of Whitman, featured prominently in the front courtyard of Camden’s Campus Center, will be “relocated to a historically relevant site on campus and contextualized,” interim Chancellor Margaret Marsh recently announced in an email to students and employees.

That new location has yet to be announced by campus officials.

(Excerpt) Read more at thecollegefix.com .

Moving the statue will make the RedTards feel virtuous but Camden will still be a hell hole and remain one of the most dangerous cities in NJ.
Did they use the Walt Whitman bridge to get to their protest?

I dunno....is it?

POssibly. They will probably make exceptions for lefty icons, like MLK and Che, for example.

As long as the mob loves you, you will be forgiven. Just like in the French Revolution.

I dunno....is it?

I disagree, there were a lot of white folks who weren't racist at that time, so trying to claim that being a racist is a flaw is a joke.
If it isn't a flaw what is it? What makes it different than an other bad outlooks? Did he do things to harm people to the point where his art becomes unaaceptable even on context? Racist ideation was common.

they are just moving the statue somewhere else on campus. Ole Miss moved it's "rebel statue to the confederate soldiers graves. When I studied Whitman briefly in 1974-5 I never learned of his racist views. Now perhaps his broader record will be viewed. He was still an amazing person. But it is interesting that his humanity and inclusiveness of America apparantly didn't include african americans ... but his views may have changed in his latter years ... as did Lincoln's. If they did change, I'd have voted (if I had one) to leave it in place.
I will admit, this is the first I heard of it, but his poetry is still wonderful.

I dunno....is it?

POssibly. They will probably make exceptions for lefty icons, like MLK and Che, for example.

As long as the mob loves you, you will be forgiven. Just like in the French Revolution.
Or the January 6th insurrection.

MLK is hardly comparable to Gueverra. one was about peace the other violence.

Forum List

Back