Voting shouldn't be easy....

With exceptions for older and physically challenged people, you should have to go to the polls. If it's important to you, you will go and stand in line. There's a better chance that the person that takes the time to go, is more likely to have looked up information on who there voting for. There's know since in making it easy for someone who had to be forced to vote for someone they don't know any information on or know's the issues.

Voting should not be difficult. Since voting day is not a national holiday, many people have to go to work on election day and the next day. They should not be forced to wait for hours. Mail in voting should be a option for everybody. There is absolutely no evidence that people who vote in person are more knowledgeable.

With exceptions for older and physically challenged people, you should have to go to the polls. If it's important to you, you will go and stand in line. There's a better chance that the person that takes the time to go, is more likely to have looked up information on who there voting for. There's know since in making it easy for someone who had to be forced to vote for someone they don't know any information on or know's the issues.

Voting should not be difficult. Since voting day is not a national holiday, many people have to go to work on election day and the next day. They should not be forced to wait for hours. Mail in voting should be a option for everybody. There is absolutely no evidence that people who vote in person are more knowledgeable.
I have no issue with absentee ballots. If you know that you will not be able to wait in line, you should get your absentee ballot in advance. I have a big problem with ballots that are just mailed out to everyone. The possibility of fraud is just too high since it is likely that dead people and people who have moved will receive ballots. I think that I notified the board of elections that my wife had passed away, but not all people would do that.

AirTight
Voting shouldn't be easy?

Why?

It's the basis of democracy. All citizens should vote

I explained why.
You're wrong

You could have said that in your first post. Now, why do you think I'm wrong?

Stand in line for how long. 6 hours? Some voters in poor areas frequently have to stand in line for hours to vote because there are few polling places in busy urban areas. Low wage workers can't spend all day standing in line to vote. They'll get fired.

But that's the whole point isn't it. Poor people don't vote Republican, so make it as physically difficult for them as possible to vote. Shorten the hours, the days, and make them stand in line for hours.

I have no issue with absentee ballots. If you know that you will not be able to wait in line, you should get your absentee ballot in advance. I have a big problem with ballots that are just mailed out to everyone. The possibility of fraud is just too high since it is likely that dead people and people who have moved will receive ballots. I think that I notified the board of elections that my wife had passed away, but not all people would do that.

You can't use an absentee ballot without verifications so as we've seen this past election, very people attempt to vote falsely.

Colorado has been mailing out ballots to everyone in the state for 15 years with no problems whatsoever. Proper maintenance of voting records would be a big help. Something that is done properly between elections with notifications, not just some mass deletion of names weeks before an election.

Mail in voting to me is for those who didn't care about voting in the first place. They likely have someone like a parent making them do it since they wouldn't get up and do it on there own. The parent says, fill this out, you don't have to go stand in line, I have your ballot here for you and I will tell you who to vote for. That voter isn't needed.

Stand in line for how long. 6 hours? Some voters in poor areas frequently have to stand in line for hours to vote because there are few polling places in busy urban areas. Low wage workers can't spend all day standing in line to vote. They'll get fired.

But that's the whole point isn't it. Poor people don't vote Republican, so make it as physically difficult for them as possible to vote. Shorten the hours, the days, and make them stand in line for hours.
Vote in your local elections and you can change how the process works in your county.

How about this: You can only vote if you have a history of paying taxes. You can only vote if you register in advance. If you show up on Election Day. If you are LITERATE. If you can pass a simple civics test, demonstrating that you understand the position that you are voting for and its scope, you know who is running and basically what their positions are on the major issues...
And some here argue for smaller government?
Yet, some propose we have a bureacracy that is capable to sift wannabe voters by their tax records (income? property? sales?). A bureaucracy that tests for reading ability, for knowledge of American (world?) civics; for understanding the proposal on the ballot; that you know each of the candidates and their messaging.
Whew!!
That oughta give us a substantial boost in government employees. Not to mention longer lines at the polling booth.
Or so it seems.
---------------------------------------------------------------------

Mail in voting to me is for those who didn't care about voting in the first place. They likely have someone like a parent making them do it since they wouldn't get up and do it on there own. The parent says, fill this out, you don't have to go stand in line, I have your ballot here for you and I will tell you who to vote for. That voter isn't needed.

Your opinion is irrelevant. Voting isn't supposed to be difficult. Mail in voting is for those who are out of town, in care, who have jobs with hours such that they can't get to the polls, or who cannot leave the house for other reasons. It is also used by the military, by students to vote in their home districts, and by those who are working or temporarily living outside the country.

Republicans COULD put together programs and an effective economic agenda with something other than "cut taxes and crash the economy" that doesn't impoverish working Americans to the benefit of the wealthy. Instead, they're trying to stop people from voting for Democrats.

Employers should be forced to give their employees as much time off as needed to vote on election day. Paid. Problem solved everyone wins.

The Founding Fathers had it right. Only the smartest should be allowed to vote.
Where does it say that in any.legislation?
---Early American voters were required to be property owners. If a person did not own property, they could not vote.---

It's the complete opposite! I didn't become an informed voter, until I started voting via absentee ballot. In person it was a rush and just voted straight down the party line.

But via absentee ballot, I got the ballot weeks before election day, and have the time to research each candidate in every single race, both state/local and federal candidates, and time to research any referendum questions, before having to vote.

Everyone, should be voting absentee ballot, if they care about being an INFORMED VOTER.

Republican states have closed over 1000 polling stations in low income and poor neighborhoods in the past 8 years. The new Texas bill would restrict the number of ballot drop off boxes per county. Harris County, with a population of 4.7 million people, would have one drop off box for the City of Houston.

So while the population and the number of voters has been increasing across America has increased by more than 8 million people since 2012, Republicans keep shutting down the places where they can vote, leaving people in urban areas standing in line for hours.

There is an equal chance that the person is just a sheep going to obediently vote for whichever candiate his echo chamber has picked for him.

Voting should be easy.

Your opinion is irrelevant. Voting isn't supposed to be difficult. Mail in voting is for those who are out of town, in care, who have jobs with hours such that they can't get to the polls, or who cannot leave the house for other reasons. It is also used by the military, by students to vote in their home districts, and by those who are working or temporarily living outside the country.

Republicans COULD put together programs and an effective economic agenda with something other than "cut taxes and crash the economy" that doesn't impoverish working Americans to the benefit of the wealthy. Instead, they're trying to stop people from voting for Democrats.
You're not realizing that if you get involved and run for office, you can change things. The democratic party just tells you to vote for them and they will give you what you need instead of you doing for yourself.

You're not realizing that if you get involved and run for office, you can change things. The democratic party just tells you to vote for them and they will give you what you need instead of you doing for yourself.

Where are Democrats getting all these candidates from if they’re not encouraging people to run. Republicans are running child molesters like Roy Moore and Matt Gaetz, and crazy people like Marjorie Taylor Green, and racists like Paul Gosar.

Where where are the honest, decent, sensible and sane Republican candidates? Where are the people with forward thinking ideas, and plans to help overcome the problems in America?

Bumper sticker slogans and the politics of hate didn’t get the job done.

Forum List

Back