Volkswagen id.r Super ELECTRIC Car

okfine

Diamond Member
Jun 15, 2019
Gold Coast
The race car without a race?
The VW electric race car is amazing. It won Pikes Peak in less than 8 minutes. It set the fastest lap time at Nuburgring. It smokes the McLaren 720S.
And it may kill Formula 1.

Always be wary of German super science...

S82 (1).jpg

The VW electric race car is amazing. It won Pikes Peak in less than 8 minutes. It set the fastest lap time at Nuburgring. It smokes the McLaren 720S.

There is a Formula E for electric open wheel racing. Ken Blocks Hoonicorn would crush the record if he actually tried to. He did do a Gymkhana up the road so you can get an idea of what I am talking about....and if you wanted to do the 24 hours of Le Mans, which this car resembles, you would have to have 23 of them to be able to race at the full speed necessary to keep up with the ICE powered race cars.

And, the cars would each run 5 to 6 laps before they had to be recharged.

Not exactly an efficient system.

Why is the electric car racing up Pikes Peak soo loud?

The Tesla I test drove was extremely quiet. ... :cool:
Straight cut gears in the trans is what you hear. On a combustion powered race car the engine sounds and exhaust mask some of that trans noise. Helical cut gears on a street car = less noise.

There is a Formula E for electric open wheel racing. Ken Blocks Hoonicorn would crush the record if he actually tried to. He did do a Gymkhana up the road so you can get an idea of what I am talking about....and if you wanted to do the 24 hours of Le Mans, which this car resembles, you would have to have 23 of them to be able to race at the full speed necessary to keep up with the ICE powered race cars.

All about battery.

I watched an F1E race in Miami a few years back and for a pit stop they changed cars, since it would take too long to recharge the battery.

All about battery.

Yes. Battery technology will never get to the point where a single car can race with the ICE powered race cars.

I watched an F1E race in Miami a few years back and for a pit stop they changed cars, since it would take too long to recharge the battery.

Yeah, and they only do half the distance, at 3/4 the speed, of the regular F1 race cars. That's the one thing these EV supporters ignore. Distance is what matters in a race. Right now an F1 car can go the entire race distance on a single tank of fuel.

Not any more. They use a higher capacity battery now. Around twice the power as in the beginning of the series.

Straight cut gears in the trans is what you hear. On a combustion powered race car the engine sounds and exhaust mask some of that trans noise. Helical cut gears on a street car = less noise.
Thanks for the explanation. .. :cool:

I love the exhaust note of a well tuned combustion race engine going down the straight away at high speed. It's like a beautiful symphony.

Which is something an electric race car could never hope to match.

I love the exhaust sound of a well tuned combustion race engine going down the straight away at high speed.

Which is something an electric race car could never match. ... :cool:
Nothing sounds nicer than the sound of a Ferrari V12....... Ever see the movie "the Gumball Rally:? The sound of the Ferrari Daytona racing through the early morning streets of NY City was great.

I love the exhaust sound of a well tuned combustion race engine going down the straight away at high speed.

They could Nilli Vanilli it.

Not any more. They use a higher capacity battery now. Around twice the power as in the beginning of the series.

Yes, still. They can go half distance then they change cars. And they don't go anywhere near what a regular F1 race is.

Nothing sounds nicer than the sound of a Ferrari V12....... Ever see the movie "the Gumball Rally:? The sound of the Ferrari Daytona racing through the early morning streets of NY City was great.

I will disagree with you, a Ford Cosworth at full song sounds even better (yes, it's true) than a Rolls Royce Merlin engine.

They could Nilli Vanilli it.

They tried. It sounds ridiculous.

New Topics

Forum List

Back