Volkswagen id.r Super ELECTRIC Car

Straight cut gears in the trans is what you hear. On a combustion powered race car the engine sounds and exhaust mask some of that trans noise. Helical cut gears on a street car = less noise.
Thanks for the explanation. .. :cool:

I love the exhaust sound of a well tuned combustion race engine going down the straight away at high speed.

Which is something an electric race car could never match. ... :cool:
Nothing sounds nicer than the sound of a Ferrari V12....... Ever see the movie "the Gumball Rally:? The sound of the Ferrari Daytona racing through the early morning streets of NY City was great.

I will disagree with you, a Ford Cosworth at full song sounds even better (yes, it's true) than a Rolls Royce Merlin engine.
I went to a few unlimited hydro races when they used the Rolls Royce Merlin engine
quite the sound.

Straight cut gears in the trans is what you hear. On a combustion powered race car the engine sounds and exhaust mask some of that trans noise. Helical cut gears on a street car = less noise.

I love the exhaust sound of a well tuned combustion race engine going down the straight away at high speed.

Nothing sounds nicer than the sound of a Ferrari V12....... Ever see the movie "the Gumball Rally:? The sound of the Ferrari Daytona racing through the early morning streets of NY City was great.
Ever here of Sam Winston? I went to a BBQ at his house. Nice Ferrari collection.

I will disagree with you, a Ford Cosworth at full song sounds even better (yes, it's true) than a Rolls Royce Merlin engine.
I went to a few unlimited hydro races when they used the Rolls Royce Merlin engine
quite the sound.

Yes, I am around them all of the time with the Unlimited Gold race planes here at the air races so I am intimately familiar with their wonderful noise, but nothing, and I mean nothing, beats the Cossie.

They could Nilli Vanilli it.

They tried. It sounds ridiculous.
My Dad bought me a Vrroom motor instead of a mini bike.

I watched an F1E race in Miami a few years back and for a pit stop they changed cars, since it would take too long to recharge the battery.
Not any more. They use a higher capacity battery now. Around twice the power as in the beginning of the series.

Yes, still. They can go half distance then they change cars. And they don't go anywhere near what a regular F1 race is.
During the first four seasons the drivers had to change cars because the drive batteries didn’t have the capacity to cover an entire race distance. From last season onwards this has been possible, so that every driver can now compete without a pit stop. But if there is a technical defect requiring repairs to be undertaken, the car can be driven into a special side lane—the pit—where minor repairs can be made. As a rule, and in contrast to other race series, this rarely happens in Formula E.

Just make the batteries interchangeable; faster than refueling. It is amusing how certain individuals lament the demise of the woefully inefficient and polluting antique technology.

Just make the batteries interchangeable; faster than refueling. It is amusing how certain individuals lament the demise of the woefully inefficient and polluting antique technology.
They’re dinosaurs. The technology will ultimately eliminate internal combustion engines altogether. I think we can all agree that will be a good thing.

Imagine a car race where the only noise is that coming from the crowd. That would be wonderful. I went to a NASCAR race many years ago and the noise was deafening. Never went a second time because of the fatiguing noise. Terrible experience.

Wait a minute... wait a minute...

Gasoline is at this moment at $1.99 per gallon.

How much does your replacement battery cost?

The battery can be recharged by solar panels at home.
The infernal combustion engine spews over half its filthy oil out the exhaust pipe into our lungs.
Renewable energies decentralize and humanized power. That is very American. Clinging to a destructive, disgusting past is un-American and unintelligent.
Boys will be boys, though, and their fascination with their noisy toys will doubtlessly dominate a little longer.

Because the VW electric race car is "turbo" duuhhh...
A "turbo" works on the redirected exhaust gasses on a combustion engine to spin the turbo and give the engine it an extra boost of power.

But there aren't any exhaust gasses to spin a turbo on an electric engine. Plus an electric engine doesn't need turbo forced air because there isn't an oxygen/fuel combustion chamber.

So please explain exactly how a turbo would work on an electric car??

I am only here to learn. ... :cool:

Last edited:
A "turbo" works on the redirected exhaust gasses on a combustion engine to spin the turbo and give the engine it an extra boost of power.

But there aren't any exhaust gasses to spin a turbo on an electric engine. Plus an electric engine doesn't need turbo forced air because there isn't an oxygen/fuel combustion chamber.

So please explain exactly how a turbo would work on an electric car??

I am only here to learn. ... :cool:
You have no sense of humor.

Can you provide and example of a pure electric vehicle that is turbocharged?
[/QUOTE]
Another one who didn't understand a joke.

(My mother was right, I will never be a good comedian because my stupid face.)

The race car without a race?
The VW electric race car is amazing. It won Pikes Peak in less than 8 minutes. It set the fastest lap time at Nuburgring. It smokes the McLaren 720S.
And it may kill Formula 1.

Just watched the pikes peak climb and a couple of things struck me as odd. Firstly its awfully loud for an electric and sounds more like a high rpm four popper. Secondly why does it sound like its changing gears. Electric motors produce max torque immediately from zero rpm so no transmission should be required.

Last edited:
Wow! I'm really surprised by this thread! I thought electric cars were all slower than petrol cars! :omg:
Not at all. They are more than capable of the speeds attained by the cars with ancient technology under the hood. Plus, electric motors need very little maintenance, don't pollute, last years longer, make much less noise, don't need transmissions and can be left for long periods without deterioration. For these reasons and more, they are opposed by auto makers, oil companies and the legislators who work for them. That also explains those who rant against them, as well as the negative publicity.
By the way, hope you're well.

Wow! I'm really surprised by this thread! I thought electric cars were all slower than petrol cars! :omg:
Not at all. They are more than capable of the speeds attained by the cars with ancient technology under the hood. Plus, electric motors need very little maintenance, don't pollute, last years longer, make much less noise, don't need transmissions and can be left for long periods without deterioration. For these reasons and more, they are opposed by auto makers, oil companies and the legislators who work for them. That also explains those who rant against them, as well as the negative publicity.
By the way, hope you're well.
Hi there4eyeM :hhello:
I feel ok thanks! Hope you're well too :)

Forum List

Back