VMT tax hidden in infrastructure bill

So are you suggesting that we should allow companies to produce high sulphur Diesel....

Do you know the cost high sulpher diesel cost Americans?

What I'm pointing out is that we all pay for this crap when they sneak it in and very few know about it. And no, I'm not going to read your 20 page PDF file that you didn't read either.

When Trump was President, he should have taken a tip from Mooocheele. She got her husband to force restaurants to put a calorie count on every item them sell. Trump should have done the same thing, only with a green cost on everything we buy.

What they do is interview people and ask if they would like to see cleaner air and water. "Uh......yeah!" If you inserted some honesty in there, you'd get completely different results, such as staging the question like "Would you like to see cleaner air and water for $2,000 of your money a year?" You'd see how fast people would lose interest in green.

Both Democrats and Republicans agree, Americans need to pay more for being on the road. It is not good enough that taxes on gas have skyrocketed. It is not even good enough that the cost of vehicles have skyrocketed.

No, both parties are out to bleed you even more by taxing how many miles you drive.

When both parties come together to agree on something, be very afraid, and this is no exception.

Americans don't have representatives, they have task masters.

But.....Trump..............tweeted mean things.....about the democrats who lied about him and attempted a coup.....

I'm a progressive and this is NOT a progressive tax, however, I like it since, as a suburbanite I don't drive nearly what a rural person would drive and they should pay for that use. If they want to live far from everyone they should pay more for their road, electricity, etc.
so since it doesn't impact you, you're good with it.

you ever drive on those roads? and the city / state is there to pay for it. how will federal funds collected for miles i drive in my state be given TO my state for roads I drive on vs. given to china in some stupid climate accord they have zero intention of following?

i lived in a rural area for almost 8 years. i drove less than i do here in a big texas city and did far less wear and tear on my car because i didn't have the traffic.

people who speak in generalities only show an inability to process their own thoughts.

Do you really not grasp that a tax on how many miles trucks drive on our highways is going to be a tax on everything you buy out there in the suburbs, Alang? That cost is going to be passed along to you in higher prices.

No, they don't....they are a left winger so intelligence and wisdom isn't one of their strong points....

For them, history began today, taxes can be increased just ...cause.......and magic pixie dust takes care of all of our problems...

That is how leftists think.

so since it doesn't impact you, you're good with it.

you ever drive on those roads? and the city / state is there to pay for it. how will federal funds collected for miles i drive in my state be given TO my state for roads I drive on vs. given to china in some stupid climate accord they have zero intention of following?

i lived in a rural area for almost 8 years. i drove less than i do here in a big texas city and did far less wear and tear on my car because i didn't have the traffic.

people who speak in generalities only show an inability to process their own thoughts.

Typical for a left winger.......as Thomas Sowell put it they only think about stage one of an issue, never think about stage two and beyond..

Okay...but this is not going to work out the way they think that it's going to...it never does.

Where everyone is wanting people to return to a "normal life" before coronavirus this sort of thing is going to keep that from happening.

Most of the miles people travel is to work every day.
So the home office just got more important and all the economics of more home office workers is not beneficial in any capacity.

Logistical jobs, which are already strained for finding labor are going to have to become really expensive. They've been paying premium already for labor and it just made costs increase overnight. (As the various states sign on)

As states begin to implement this in various ways it likely won't be through additional gasoline taxes but instead through your annual emissions testing. (Your car's mileage is recorded every year usually)
Your taxes will likely be figured by that.

Okay...but this is not going to work out the way they think that it's going to...it never does.

Where everyone is wanting people to return to a "normal life" before coronavirus this sort of thing is going to keep that from happening.

Most of the miles people travel is to work every day.
So the home office just got more important and all the economics of more home office workers is not beneficial in any capacity.

Logistical jobs, which are already strained for finding labor are going to have to become really expensive. They've been paying premium already for labor and it just made costs increase overnight. (As the various states sign on)

As states begin to implement this in various ways it likely won't be through additional gasoline taxes but instead through your annual emissions testing. (Your car's mileage is recorded every year usually)
Your taxes will likely be figured by that.
My county doesn't have emission testing. This all sounds mysteriously like a government plot to track my every movement, so they can tax me for it. Some folks seem to think that's a good idea, I don't.

How are they going to determine the mileage someone drove?

Now isn't that the rub?

They will have you send in your mileage, likely with your income tax return....then, they will know what mileage was on your car each year.....

Or......

They will order car companies to put in a device in your car or take it from any existing computers they have..........they will eventually get to the point where they want to know where you are at all times....

I disagree. Their communities aren't walkable. Commercial space consists of strip malls and shopping centers, kept well outside of walkability. Car travel is essential.
I'm sure you do disagree that your opinion doesn't matter at all, but it just doesn't. If people didn't like living in the suburbs they wouldn't move there. Obviously, they like it better than living in the city with all of its problems.

Now isn't that the rub?

They will have you send in your mileage, likely with your income tax return....then, they will know what mileage was on your car each year.....

Or......

They will order car companies to put in a device in your car or take it from any existing computers they have..........they will eventually get to the point where they want to know where you are at all times....
Of course that's where we're headed. First, they will "try" self reporting. When that obviously doesn't work because they get a net 100 miles traveled from the entire populace, they'll require odometer readings to be reported upon inspection. When the black market arises and mechanics are getting paid to monkey with the odometers, along will come the GPS units mandated in every vehicle. It's just how government works, start with "voluntary", then rapidly move to mandated, followed by coerced.

Of course that's where we're headed. First, they will "try" self reporting. When that obviously doesn't work because they get a net 100 miles traveled from the entire populace, they'll require odometer readings to be reported upon inspection. When the black market arises and mechanics are getting paid to monkey with the odometers, along will come the GPS units mandated in every vehicle. It's just how government works, start with "voluntary", then rapidly move to mandated, followed by coerced.

Seat belt laws for example....I remember the press conference here in Illinois where the official stated that of course....the police are not going to stop you just for a seat belt violation...that's just silly thinking...then, after the law went into effect.....of course they can stop you for just a seat belt violation....silly citizen...

My county doesn't have emission testing. This all sounds mysteriously like a government plot to track my every movement, so they can tax me for it. Some folks seem to think that's a good idea, I don't.
Well don't you have some sort of annual vehicle registration? (Wheel tax) They usually track mileage too.

And as far as taking over the world? It's a Pinky and the Brain comedy act here...

Well don't you have some sort of annual vehicle registration? (Wheel tax) They usually track mileage too.

And as far as taking over the world? It's a Pinky and the Brain comedy act here...
We have registration to get your sticker, which doesn't require anything but a check. Currently there is no way for the government to know how much or little I drive. Nor do they ever need to know such things. This also fails to account for rural driving done on private property. Farm trucks are in the fields all the time, why should they be taxed for that?

Neither party has heard of a tax they did not like.

Trust me, it will be here before you know it and there is not a damn thing you can do about it.
Care to wager on that?

There is no way they will be putting a tracker on My vehicles and if they demand I tell them, I'll tell them to piss off.

We have registration to get your sticker, which doesn't require anything but a check. Currently there is no way for the government to know how much or little I drive. Nor do they ever need to know such things. This also fails to account for rural driving done on private property. Farm trucks are in the fields all the time, why should they be taxed for that?
Oh I agree...but about half the time farm trucks are out of date beaters...where a carefully crafted 2x4 holds up the window. So if the odometer is disconnected....it's not a big deal. Just re-connect it on the way to get new tags.

Old trucks are the best trucks.

Forum List

Back