Virginia votes to abolish Death Penalty

not the question I asked,
Of course it is an answer to the queston you asked. You asked if painless execution were cruel.

I say ending a person's life is cruel. Does a person's life not get ended, in an execution?

I even then specifically addressed execution, with my comments about the 15 year stretch.

A pretty complete and courteous answer. Easy, too.

Locking people up is also cruel. But we both accept it, for a variety of reasons.

So there is no reason to fly off the handle at my answer.

Of course it is an answer to the queston you asked.
no its not
You asked if painless execution were cruel.
that's the question I asked but you have yet to answer
I say ending a person's life is cruel.
and are silent on how you feel about it painlessly
Does a person's life not get ended, in an execution?
Yes, but who is pretending that is not the case?
I even then specifically addressed execution, with my comments about the 15 year stretch.
you made the case that it was "telling them" that was cruel, which no matter how true it is or is not has nothing to do with whether taking their life [painlessly or otherwise] is in and of itself cruel.
A pretty complete and courteous answer. Easy, too.
It was meaningless and its courtesy was its inability to rebut my post
Locking people up is also cruel. But we both accept it, for a variety of reasons.
I oppose the death penalty [and the entire judicial systems needs a serious top to bottom overhaul] but your post is/are making my point to rightwinger about it coming down to opinions and semantics

So there is no reason to fly off the handle at my answer.
:abgg2q.jpg:

One by one we are slowly working to abolish the Death Penalty nationwide. Only the Bible Belt and a few Red States are holding out.

State lawmakers gave final approval Monday to legislation that will end capital punishment in Virginia, a dramatic turnaround for a state that has executed more people in its long history than any other.

Well ... If they get rid of the Death Penalty ... Might as well make it worthwhile.
No need for isolation on Death Row ... Throw them in General Population and let them start weeding out some folks in there.

I mean if killing someone doesn't make a difference ... Then who they kill isn't really going to make a difference.
It's not like you are going to put them in jail any longer if they get sentenced to life without parole.

You are correct. It's 20 years of court dates before someone gets executed. The guy who said he is pro-death penalty on the base of saving money, is incorrect.
Get rid of the endless appeals and executing a criminal would cost less than a thousand bucks. It should be one automatic appeal and done.

Eye for an eye Justice does not reflect well on any society

Look at the Saudis
Executing murderers PERMANTELY removes people from society that have proven that they don't respect the lives and property of other citizens. Done properly it's far cheaper and more efficient than incarcerating them for decades until they die of old age.

Virginia's new Democratic majority, in full control of the General Assembly for a second year, pushed the repeal effort, arguing that the death penalty has been applied disproportionately to people of color, the mentally ill and the indigent.

"It is vital that our criminal justice system operates fairly and punishes people equitably. We all know the death penalty doesn’t do that. It is inequitable, ineffective, and inhumane,” Northam, House Speaker Eileen Filler-Corn and Senate Majority Leader Dick Saslaw said in a joint statement after the votes.
The Democrats are insane. They want to let thugs and murderers off and jail their political opponents instead.

Eye for an eye Justice does not reflect well on any society

Look at the Saudis
What is the Saudi recidivism rate for murder?
Based upon this chart, it looks like the Saudi system works far better than ours to reduce crime.

STATSaudi ArabiaUnited StatesHISTORY
Burglaries0.1
Ranked 5th.
Ranked 9th. 7144 times more than Saudi Arabia
Crime levels23.41
Ranked 79th.
Ranked 30th. 2 times more than Saudi Arabia
Drugs > Annual cannabis use0.3%
Ranked 21st.
13.7%
Ranked 1st. 46 times more than Saudi Arabia
Drugs > Opiates use0.01%