Virginia votes to abolish Death Penalty

I happen to support the death penalty, but if a majority of people in Virginia want it abolished so be it.

Slowly disappearing in the US and around the world

I really couldn't give a shit what the rest of the world does, and the death penalty is still present in over half of the United States...

Many states have a Death Sentence and not a Death Penalty
See how many states have ten or less actual executions in the last 45 years?
16 States to go with the 23 that have banned it

Last edited:
Why is the death penalty bad?

That's always been my question as well. That's one issue I break with most libertarians on. From their viewpoint, the idea that the state can decide to execute someone is dangerous and abhorrent and I can certainly see that argument, however, take a look at countries that don't fuck around when it comes to crime: China, Singapore, for example. They are very safe places. I was walking around in downtown Beijing at 2:00 in the morning and never felt unsafe. Contrast that with parts of our country where I would never walk through during the day.

I'm not advocating that we become overly authoritarian like those countries, but surely there is a balance somewhere in the middle where our civil liberties can be preserved while taking out the trash of society. Not everyone can be redeemed.

One by one we are slowly working to abolish the Death Penalty nationwide. Only the Bible Belt and a few Red States are holding out.

State lawmakers gave final approval Monday to legislation that will end capital punishment in Virginia, a dramatic turnaround for a state that has executed more people in its long history than any other.
For many reasons.

1) It is called a deterrent.
2) It is said to save money to just kill a guy real fast versus putting them in Prison for life and feeding them, sheltering them, etc.
3) 1 innocent being executed is worth 100 guilty.

1- It's not, and usually the people who get executed are mentally ill or unstable and you're not deterring them from anything.
2-But that is not true. Due to appeals it almost always drains money and years (if not decades) to fight for a Death Row sentence.
3- Innocent men get executed and this is not right.

Last edited:
One by one we are slowly working to abolish the Death Penalty nationwide. Only the Bible Belt and a few Red States are holding out.

State lawmakers gave final approval Monday to legislation that will end capital punishment in Virginia, a dramatic turnaround for a state that has executed more people in its long history than any other.
I believe it costs about 4 million in appeals before Sparky is called to action. I believe the average prisoner costs a million for 30 yrs. Fuck them, let them rot for life.

You'll still pay for it.
No. He won't. You're wrong. Your entire belief system in the death penalty saving money is wrong. I'm sorry to tell you this.

Your world belief is incorrect.

It only cost a lot of money when the convicts appeal over and over for more than 10-20 years to finally fail and get the deserved execution. The appeals process is being abused by the low life scums, that is why it cost so much.

For many reasons.

1) It is called a deterrent. It's not, and usually the people who get executed are mentally ill or unstable and you're not deterring them from anything.
2) It is said to save money to just kill a guy real fast versus putting them in Prison for life and feeding them, sheltering them, etc.

1- It's not, and usually the people who get executed are mentally ill or unstable and you're not deterring them from anything.
2-But that is not true. Due to appeals it almost always drains money and years (if not decades) to fight for a Death Row sentence.

#1) Link...
#2) What?
#3) Why 100 and not 1000? How are they innocent? You mean wrongfully convicted?

Your avatar is disturbing.

For many reasons.

1) It is called a deterrent. It's not, and usually the people who get executed are mentally ill or unstable and you're not deterring them from anything.

#1) Link...
#2) What?

Yes, wrongfully convicted.

I posted a link earlier in the topic about the costs. Find it yourself.

For many reasons.

#1) Link...
#2) What?

Yes, wrongfully convicted.

I posted a link earlier in the topic about the costs. Find it yourself.

#1) Costs are high due to so many appeals. But why is killing a terrible convicted murderer bad? I don't follow that logic. Why is it more humane than having them sit in a cage for life?

#2) How many wrongfully convicted people get executed these days. Perhaps its best to ensure they aren't wrongfully convicted. So if we eliminate wrongful convictions for arguments sake and 100% of the people executed are guilty. Would you still be opposed to the death penalty?

Your avatar remains deeply disturbing.

That's utter nonsense.

Explain the difference...

Death Sentence......I sentence you to death
Death Penalty.......I actually execute you

That's only because of the absurd appeals process.

Someone sentenced to death should be allowed one appeal. If he loses that appeal he's marched out the back door and into the death chamber.

No need to spend millions upon millions of dollars keeping a condemned man (or woman) alive for another 20 years...

That's utter nonsense.

Explain the difference...

Death Sentence......I sentence you to death
Death Penalty.......I actually execute you

That's only because of the absurd appeals process.

Someone sentenced to death should be allowed one appeal. If he loses that appeal he's marched out the back door and into the death chamber.

No need to spend millions upon millions of dollars keeping a condemned man (or woman) alive for another 20 years...

Most states don’t want to execute
That is why they want repeated repeals

This is the way it is supposed to work, the states are the ones to decide what laws best fit their constituents wants and needs...it will be easier on a state level to get rid of those who do not heed the will of the voters and does not overreach and usurp the wants and needs of voters in other states...
...folks in other states now have no right to demand Virginia or Florida or Texas or California etc. see things their way.

This is the way it is supposed to work, the states are the ones to decide what laws best fit their constituents wants and needs...it will be easier on a state level to get rid of those who do not heed the will of the voters and does not overreach and usurp the wants and needs of voters in other states...
...folks in other states now have no right to demand Virginia or Florida or Texas or California etc. see things their way.

The Constitution has overriding authority over the States

It comes down to what is cruel and unusual punishment

I don't regard the death penalty as cruel or unusual.

yes, on an individual basis
And that comes down to opinion and semantics...Not everyone agrees what that is.
Is a painless execution cruel? Is "mercy killing" cruel? if painless executions become a regular event are they any longer unusual? each state is deciding for itself what that is, if the courts were to decide that Texas has it right will you then have the right to demand California go along with it?

Forum List

Back