Virginia Kindergarten Teacher shot

There is a degree of parental negligence to even let your child set foot in public schools, so there is that

But to turn a blind eye to how the school new about and fostered this shooting is absurd.

The parents handed the little thug the gun but the school dared him/her/it to shoot the teacher.

Anybody think that the 6 year old was a card carrying NRA member who bought the weapon legally? For some reason there is little or no coverage about the parents.

Ok.now, how are you going create a step in the right direction to curb violence against teachers?

My suggestion for 'strict liability' addresses only 'gun violence' towards teachers.
And does so by larding onto firearm ownership an increased responsibility if that weapon causes harm.

The idea behind 'strict liability' for the owner-of-record is that we gun owners will be more cognizant,
and more aware of our own vulnerability for liability if we do not take all measures available to keep
one's guns secure....and not available to those would would or could cause harm with them. And therefore
access to our firearms by kids, by the angry, by the malevolent will be reduced.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
A should be the punishment for a parent whose negligence results in the death of their own child?
Oh that is a tough one, poster Woodznutz.
The pain of a parent when their 7yr old shoots his sister with grandpa's nightstand gun must be unimaginably searing. God must help them.
However, here on this earth, negligence is a thing. With attached liability also a thing.

If a parent's egregiously negligent behavior...commission or omission ...leads to harm, to one's own child or another, then that parent is accountable to our society and our laws. Think of a parent not properly safeguarding dangerous drugs or poisons....and his children acquire them and harm themselves or the schoolmates. So it must be with guns.

My suggestion for 'strict liability' addresses only 'gun violence' towards teachers.
And does so by larding onto firearm ownership an increased responsibility if that weapon causes harm.

The idea behind 'strict liability' for the owner-of-record is that we gun owners will be more cognizant,
and more aware of our own vulnerability for liability if we do not take all measures available to keep
one's guns secure....and not available to those would would or could cause harm with them. And therefore
access to our firearms by kids, by the angry, by the malevolent will be reduced.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The pain of a parent when their 7yr old shoots his sister with grandpa's nightstand gun must be unimaginably searing. God must help them.
However, here on this earth, negligence is a thing. With attached liability also a thing.

If a parent's egregiously negligent behavior...commission or omission ...leads to harm, to one's own child or another, then that parent is accountable to our society and our laws. Think of a parent not properly safeguarding dangerous drugs or poisons....and his children acquire them and harm themselves or the schoolmates. So it must be with guns.
So, what should be the punishment?

This was an ongoing violence problem that escalated and culminated with using guns as the means. Address the violence problem and the gun problem will go away.

The fault is the effing parents.

Should we accept that kids have limited rights and limited responsibilities, and if a kid does something, the parents should be punished for it, the same as if an adult had committed the crime?

How do you propose we address the violence problem with 6-year-olds?
For starters, when a teacher asks for support because of increasing violence, do not ignore the teacher. In this case, the teacher’s requests were ignored and the child’s violent pattern escalated. It’s 2023, so the teacher is very limited as to what they can do. Corporal punishment, isolation, suspension, and/or transfer to central schools for trouble makers are all policies that are banned.

Banning the corrective policies I mentioned above are driven by the Left. An now, the school system is going to get its ass sued.

The onus is not on how I am going to fix it. The onus is on the Leftist policymakers who broke it in the first place.

So, what should be the punishment?
I cannot answer that question in an informed manner. I am not versed in the policy approaches to punishment....for adults or for children. I would be content, I suppose, if experts within several discilines ---and legislators ---- came up with the framework for such punishments.

This is an update to a Newport News kindergarten teacher who was shot by one of her students. She has resigned from the school district and is suing them.

Notice how she is not suing the the gun manufacturer. Neglect and inaction from school officials were at fault. They let it escalate.

The school board trying to put forward the idea that it is solely a workers compensation issue seems comical. Based on what info is in that article, this was a known problem by the school. It would be like a company being told of grease on the stairs of their facility and doing nothing about it. If anyone slipped and got injured on those stairs, the company would get their ass sued off, and rightfully so.

I'm sure they would also sue the mother if she had any money.

I cannot answer that question in an informed manner. I am not versed in the policy approaches to punishment....for adults or for children. I would be content, I suppose, if experts within several discilines ---and legislators ---- came up with the framework for such punishments.
I would hate to see horrible accidents turned into crimes.

Corporal punishment, isolation, suspension, and/or transfer to central schools for trouble makers are all policies that are banned.

Banning the corrective policies I mentioned above are driven by the Left. An now, the school system is going to get its ass sued.
You’re advocating for corporal punishment to 6-year-olds?

You’re advocating for corporal punishment to 6-year-olds?
Despite being from the last generation that had corporal punishment in schools, no I am not advocating corporal punishment but I am advocating Accountability…. From the student, the teacher, the parent, the education administration.

Students today from K-12 fear no consequences. Google a video of a teacher enforcing No Cellphone use in their classroom and see how teachers put their lives in danger. In the case of the six year old shooting the teacher, she asked for help. Nothing from the parent or administration.

The Left pushed the pendulum too where there are no consequences. Suspension/Expulsion does not sway a student’s behavior.

I would advocate that students get school privileges taken away from them. If they get suspended, make them “earn” their right back into the classroom by doing work or project for the school that involves labor. Tell the parents that if the child doesn’t correct, then the child will need to go to a special school.

None of the proposed solutions is new. What is new is today’s K-12 students fear nothing and teachers’ lives are at risk.

“Don’t make the students Angry” is a failing policy.

The school board trying to put forward the idea that it is solely a workers compensation issue seems comical. Based on what info is in that article, this was a known problem by the school. It would be like a company being told of grease on the stairs of their facility and doing nothing about it. If anyone slipped and got injured on those stairs, the company would get their ass sued off, and rightfully so.

I'm sure they would also sue the mother if she had any money.
The school boards hate accountability as much as the students do.

Despite being from the last generation that had corporal punishment in schools, no I am not advocating corporal punishment...
Then why the fuck are you bringing up corporal punishment?

The question was: How do you propose we address the violence problem with 6-year-olds?

If you're not proposing corporal punishment, then leave corporal punishment out of your response.

Forum List

Back