Virginia Kindergarten Teacher shot

LeftofLeft

Diamond Member
Oct 18, 2011
This is an update to a Newport News kindergarten teacher who was shot by one of her students. She has resigned from the school district and is suing them.

Notice how she is not suing the the gun manufacturer. Neglect and inaction from school officials were at fault. They let it escalate.

This kid-shooting-the-teach is another incident that moves my own argument that 'strict liability' must always attach to the weapon....and it's owner of record.

In my view......any harm caused by a firearm that I own, even if it wasn't me who pulled the trigger, a share of the liability for that harm falls on me.

That means, if a 7yr grandson takes the gun from the bedside cabinet and then shoots his sister or a playmate....then the owner of record bears considerable liability for that harm. And that 'strict liability' aspect follows the gun even if it is stolen out from under the seat of one's pick-up or glove box. If one owns a gun, and the benefits it offers, then one also owns the liability for any harms it creates, at least proportionately.

I read recently that at least one state, Michigan, I believe....has created a 'safe storage' law. Which stipulates that if a minor obtains one of your guns and causes harm with it then then you are 'criminally' liable.

THAT....is a step in the right direction.

This is an update to a Newport News kindergarten teacher who was shot by one of her students. She has resigned from the school district and is suing them.

Notice how she is not suing the the gun manufacturer. Neglect and inaction from school officials were at fault. They let it escalate.

Small quibble but she was a first grade teacher. And yes, while the mother is somewhat at fault, the school admin WERE TOLD about the gun and did nothing. It's awful--and could have been tragic.

Yes… they we’re contributors at fault as well. But why did school officials do little or nothing as the pleas from the teacher escalated about the behavior of this child?
You don't understand. Public schools is the DNC, so you can never lay blame there

The blame is always the parents, as soon all children may one day be wards of the state.

Notice how private schools never have this problem. Granted, you had a shooting in Tennessee at a private school, but it was not one of the students.

You don't understand. Public schools is the DNC, so you can never lay blame there

The blame is always the parents, as soon all children may one day be wards of the state.

Notice how private schools never have this problem. Granted, you had a shooting in Tennessee at a private school, but it was not one of the students.

Well, one big factor there is: you have all children of parents so invested in their kids and their education that they pay a lot of money for it, over and above their taxes.

That right there will eliminate a lot of school shooters. You think many of the come from stable, loving, supportive homes?

Well, one big factor there is: you have all children of parents so invested in their kids and their education that they pay a lot of money for it, over and above their taxes.

That right there will eliminate a lot of school shooters. You think many of the come from stable, loving, supportive homes?
Right, parents who care about their children will pay for their education.

This kid-shooting-the-teach is another incident that moves my own argument that 'strict liability' must always attach to the weapon....and it's owner of record.

In my view......any harm caused by a firearm that I own, even if it wasn't me who pulled the trigger, a share of the liability for that harm falls on me.

That means, if a 7yr grandson takes the gun from the bedside cabinet and then shoots his sister or a playmate....then the owner of record bears considerable liability for that harm. And that 'strict liability' aspect follows the gun even if it is stolen out from under the seat of one's pick-up or glove box. If one owns a gun, and the benefits it offers, then one also owns the liability for any harms it creates, at least proportionately.

I read recently that at least one state, Michigan, I believe....has created a 'safe storage' law. Which stipulates that if a minor obtains one of your guns and causes harm with it then then you are 'criminally' liable.

THAT....is a step in the right direction.
Ok.now, how are you going create a step in the right direction to curb violence against teachers?

Nothing was ever done about the kid before the shooting even when his bad behavior before the shooting had been brought to the attention of the school authorities. That is why the lawsuit is happening. All that I can say is may the woman clean house.

God bless you and the lady always!!!

Holly

How is it the gun manufacturer's fault?

When some drunk driving a Prius runs you over do you get to sue Toyota?

How is it the gun manufacturer's fault?

When some drunk driving a Prius runs you over do you get to sue Toyota?
Agreed. That is my point. The gun is not the root cause of the problem. The parents and the school refused to correct the child’s behavior by holding him accountable and/or removing him from the school.

What should be the punishment for a parent whose negligence results in the death of their own child?

Agreed. That is my point. The gun is not the root cause of the problem. The parents and the school refused to correct the child’s behavior by holding him accountable and/or removing him from the school.
Unlike the schools I attended back in the day schools now place the rotten apples into the barrel of good ones believing that the rotten ones will be healed by the good ones.

Unlike the schools I attended back in the day schools now place the rotten apples into the barrel of good ones believing that the rotten ones will be healed by the good ones.
Yes…. Another failed social engineering project. Today’s school leaders abhor personal accountability and are more concerned about restorative justice programs.

They already are in Washington state, and not just children from WA state but ANY children.

Forum List

Back