VA Hospital May Have Infected Veterans with HIV and other Diseases

They sent letters to over 1,800 to veterans to warn them that that may have been infected through dental instruments that had not been properly cleaned. This is inexcusable!! Sterile technique is a basic procedure in the medical field and this means no one was doing their job in this regard.

VA hospital may have infected 1,800 veterans with HIV - CNN.com

I thought private hospitals were supposed to be better than state run hospitals.....

Time to make healthcare public?

They sent letters to over 1,800 to veterans to warn them that that may have been infected through dental instruments that had not been properly cleaned. This is inexcusable!! Sterile technique is a basic procedure in the medical field and this means no one was doing their job in this regard.

I again request that Lindsey Graham (R-SC) demand that they VA issue a national insurance card for veterans. An ID card that will allow veterans to go to any private doctor or hospital.

I thought private hospitals were supposed to be better than state run hospitals.....

VAs are government run hospitals. We'd have lower standards everywhere if the government takes over.

if you read your link through, towards the bottom it says this:

Dr. Gina Michael, the association chief of staff at the hospital, told the affiliate that some dental technicians broke protocol by handwashing tools before putting them in cleaning machines.

The instruments were supposed to only be put in the cleaning machines, Michael said.

The handwashing started in February 2009 and went on until March of this year, the hospital told KSDK.

...it doesn't make sense on why washing them by hand THEN putting them in the sterilization machine would matter one iota on the instrument sterilization???? logically it seems like they would be cleaner if they got two cleanings, one by hand and one by machine....???

I wonder why hand washing first, harmed the process...?

That's the embodiment of "public healthcare" or socialized medicine...

and yall act like this shit is new news? its not......one cannot sue a military hospital...simple as that...they can do any fucking thing they want and it can go south and you cant do shit ....i assure you ...i know this from taking my father to womack army hospital at ft bragg nc...he walked in on his own....3 days later....when i decided to move him to another hospital....i was told flat out ..the treatment he had been given for 3 days was wrong...and he would not live thru being moved....i swear the attitude of the drs was....'yes we have nearly killed him with our mistreatment but you cant move him now' it was a wtf moment and made me realize no one gave a flying fuck....my father served 30 years before being medically outed....he was an e9....two tours of vietnam...one of korea...didnt make one fucking bit of difference...he may as well have been a stray dog for all they cared

New WHO surgical guidelines will save many lives...
fingerscrossed.gif

WHO: Preventing Infections During Surgery Can Save Millions of Lives
November 02, 2016 — The World Health Organization (WHO) warns millions of people die every year from preventable surgical infections. A WHO report says new global guidelines it is issuing for the prevention of surgical site infections will save many lives.
The WHO reports more than 240 million surgical procedures are performed globally every year for a wide range of conditions, including cancer, heart disease, cataracts and traffic crash injuries. Surgical site infections occur when bacteria enter a patient’s body through incisions. They threaten the lives of millions of patients each year and contribute to the spread of antibiotic resistance. The U.N. Agency says they are the most common hospital-acquired infection in poor countries and the second most common in rich countries.

WHO Director of Service Delivery and Safety Ed Kelley says one in every 10 surgical patients in poor countries will get an infection. In some countries he says one third of all patients coming in for surgery are infected. “In Africa, for instance, 20 percent of Caesarian sections result in surgical site infections, which endanger, of course, the life of the woman and, therefore, the life of her baby. These result in hundreds of thousands of extra hospital days, billions of dollars in extra hospital costs and tens of thousands of deaths,” Kelley said.

5390B489-E9A8-486F-B0F4-398FE2F83E00_cx0_cy3_cw0_w250_r1_s_r1.jpg

A Palestinian doctor washes his hands prior to performing a surgery at Shifa hospital in Gaza City, Jan. 27, 2009. Health officials see hand-washing as the single most important measure for preventing surgical site infections.​

The new guidelines cover 29 recommendations in 23 areas. Kelley says evidence shows that antibiotics given as close as possible before surgery can prevent infections for certain surgical procedures. But he says using antibiotics after surgery does not prevent infections. Another recommendation, he says, is not to shave patients before surgery. “Hair removal can actually increase the risk of causing microscopic cuts or traumas to the skin and evidence tells us that there is clear benefit to not removing the hair....

If you had to boil it down globally as to what could have some of the biggest impact, this question of proper site preparation, proper hand hygiene and really, then, the layout of the operating theater in terms of preventing infections,” Kelly said. Of the 29 recommendations in the guidelines, health officials cite hand-washing as the single most important for preventing surgical site infections.

WHO: Preventing Infections During Surgery Can Save Millions of Lives

Forum List

Back