Seven sailors missing after U.S. Navy destroyer collides with container ship in Japan

Disir

Platinum Member
Sep 30, 2011
U.S. Navy destroyer USS Fitzgerald sailed back to its base in Yokosuka, with seven of its sailors still missing after it collided with a Philippine-flagged container ship more than three times its size in eastern Japan early on Saturday.

The Fitzgerald, an Aegis guided missile destroyer, collided with the merchant vessel at about 2:30 a.m. local time (1730 GMT), some 56 nautical miles southwest of Yokosuka, the Navy said.

Three aboard the destroyer had been medically evacuated to the U.S. Naval Hospital in Yokosuka, including the ship's commanding officer, Cmdr. Bryce Benson, who was reported to be in stable condition, the Navy said. The other two were being treated for lacerations and bruises, while other injured were being assessed aboard the ship, it said.

Search and rescue efforts by U.S. and Japanese aircraft and surface vessels were continuing for the seven missing sailors, the Navy said. Their names are being withheld until the families have been notified, it said.

Benson took command of the Fitzgerald on May 13. He had previously commanded a minesweeper based in Sasebo in western Japan.

UNCLEAR WHAT HAPPENED
Seven sailors missing after U.S. Navy destroyer collides with container ship in Japan

I hope they find them.

This is crazy. I served aboard the USS Fitzgerald as a civilian. Often berthed in Chiefs overflow or engineering. Prayers sent for the missing sailors

-Geaux
----

MYSTERIOUS SHIP CRASH OFF JAPAN LEAVES 7 US SAILORS MISSING

YOKOSUKA, Japan (AP) -- U.S. and Japanese vessels and aircraft searched Saturday for seven American sailors who were missing after their Navy destroyer collided before dawn with a container ship four times its size off the coast of Japan.

The USS Fitzgerald was back at its home port in Yokosuka Naval Base south of Tokyo by sunset Saturday, its crew lined up on deck. The Philippine-flagged container ship was berthed at Tokyo's Oi wharf, where officials began questioning crew members about the cause of the nighttime crash.

After helping stabilize the USS Fitzgerald, the destroyer USS Dewey joined other American and Japanese vessels and aircraft in the search for the missing sailors.

At least three other Navy sailors were injured in the crash.

Family members were frantically seeking news, appealing via social media for calls from sailors aboard from the ship.

The U.S. 7th Fleet said in a statement that the crash damaged two berthing spaces, a machinery room and the radio room. Most of the more than 200 sailors aboard would have been asleep in their berths at the time of the pre-dawn crash.

News from The Associated Press

Sad to hear

I can't see how those two ships could collide

Sad to hear

That's just it. They have collision avoidance alarms on the bridge. Plus, there are watches on the fo'c'sle and stern. The investigation likely will yield a pattern of failures on both vessels. Regardless, the Captain, usually a Lieutenant Commander on a DDG, his career is over.

-Geaux

Sad to hear

Neither can I.

I know nothing about ships so my opinion isn't worth much. But considering the sophistication of today's electronics -- especially in the military realm, this collision resides in the Titanic "can't happen" category.

A DDG will usually have a more senior Commander (O-5), as a Captain, and a less senior O-5 as XO. Only a small ship like a minesweeper would have an O-4 as Captain.

Seven missing after USS Fitzgerald collides with merchant ship off Japan
---
Japan’s public broadcaster NHK said the ACX Crystal had made a sharp turn shortly before the collision.
---

There's no question the destroyer knew the container ship was there. My guess? The destroyer was hanging back and letting the container ship cross in front of it. For whatever reason, the container ship made a hard left turn and rammed the destroyer. Given the handling characteristics of the ship, there was no way the destroyer could dodge. It's kind of like driving on the road, in that in some situations, you're just screwed if the other guy does something dumb.

This whole thing is weird.
What are the odds of both crews being asleep at the wheel?
Then you add all of the sophisticated electronics and audible warnings systems from both ships.....?
And of course the erratic course of the cargo ship brings in even more questions.

The only way this could have been more unlikely is if it was an Aircraft Carrier like Triggered thought.

A DDG will usually have a more senior Commander (O-5), as a Captain, and a less senior O-5 as XO. Only a small ship like a minesweeper would have an O-4 as Captain.

---
Japan’s public broadcaster NHK said the ACX Crystal had made a sharp turn shortly before the collision.
---

There's no question the destroyer knew the container ship was there. My guess? The destroyer was hanging back and letting the container ship cross in front of it. For whatever reason, the container ship made a hard left turn and rammed the destroyer. Given the handling characteristics of the ship, there was no way the destroyer could dodge. It's kind of like driving on the road, in that in some situations, you're just screwed if the other guy does something dumb.

The erratic behavior of the containership is still what gets me.
And no doubt these ships are like the eighteen wheelers of the sea,they handle like shit.

---
---

The Commanders are Skipper on the CG's (Guided Missile Cruisers) and at times have full birds. IN fact, I was also on the USS Lake Erie(CG) and the Captain and XO were both full birds

-Geaux

Last edited:

---
---

You're right. Thanks for the clarification. I'm getting old...

-Geaux

This is crazy. I served aboard the USS Fitzgerald as a civilian. Often berthed in Chiefs overflow or engineering. Prayers sent for the missing sailors

-Geaux
----

MYSTERIOUS SHIP CRASH OFF JAPAN LEAVES 7 US SAILORS MISSING

YOKOSUKA, Japan (AP) -- U.S. and Japanese vessels and aircraft searched Saturday for seven American sailors who were missing after their Navy destroyer collided before dawn with a container ship four times its size off the coast of Japan.

The USS Fitzgerald was back at its home port in Yokosuka Naval Base south of Tokyo by sunset Saturday, its crew lined up on deck. The Philippine-flagged container ship was berthed at Tokyo's Oi wharf, where officials began questioning crew members about the cause of the nighttime crash.

After helping stabilize the USS Fitzgerald, the destroyer USS Dewey joined other American and Japanese vessels and aircraft in the search for the missing sailors.

At least three other Navy sailors were injured in the crash.

Family members were frantically seeking news, appealing via social media for calls from sailors aboard from the ship.

The U.S. 7th Fleet said in a statement that the crash damaged two berthing spaces, a machinery room and the radio room. Most of the more than 200 sailors aboard would have been asleep in their berths at the time of the pre-dawn crash.

News from The Associated Press
How could a US military ship accidently collide with anything? Sounds like a few people on both sides are going to get axed for being asleep at the wheel.

Sad to hear

Neither can I.

I know nothing about ships so my opinion isn't worth much. But considering the sophistication of today's electronics -- especially in the military realm, this collision resides in the Titanic "can't happen" category.
When I was on a tin can in the late 60's we always had watch and communications with the bridge

barley a scratch

170617141058-05-cargo-ship-uss-fitzgerald-0617-e.jpg
\

170616175607-uss-fitzgerald-damage-exlarge-169.jpg

Sad to hear

That's just it. They have collision avoidance alarms on the bridge. Plus, there are watches on the fo'c'sle and stern. The investigation likely will yield a pattern of failures on both vessels. Regardless, the Captain, usually a Lieutenant Commander on a DDG, his career is over.

-Geaux

DDGs are commanded by a full Commander.

Forum List

Back