Usmb top chef

Have you guys been following the current news story where PETA offered to give the folks in Turkey TX a big tofu feast if they would change their name to Tofurkey over the holidays? They kinda underestimated how un-PC and un-vegetarian those Texas Panhandle farmers and ranchers were gonna be. The concept didn't receive a really warm reception. :)

Have you guys been following the current news story where PETA offered to give the folks in Turkey TX a big tofu feast if they would change their name to Tofurkey over the holidays? They kinda underestimated how un-PC and un-vegetarian those Texas Panhandle farmers and ranchers were gonna be. The concept didn't receive a really warm reception. :)

Good for the turkey TX....

I

HATE

peta!

Oh yuck

Not a fan of Toufurkey are you?

:eusa_shhh: me either!

Foux-turkey ain't my thing.

Poor Mr EZ.... i hope she takes pitty on him and buys him a turkey hungry man dinner. :lol:

Rewinding to a time long, long ago when Hombre and our two children, quite young at the time, were stranded in the southeast corner of Kansas in a small town called Pittsburgh. For southwesterners/west Texans it was like a foreign country and not a particularly hospitable one. It seemed the sun never shone that winter and it was perpetually wet. The people talked and dressed funny. We were all 'homesick' and depressed, but it was going to be awhile before another transfer would be possible. So trying to cheer ourselves up, we found another great rent house and, with all four of us excited about it, decided to move right after we opened the Santa gifts on Christmas morning.

But what to do about Christmas dinner? Well. . . .you buy four frozen turkey dinners on Christmas eve and see how everybody looks at you and clucks their tongues in sympathy. :)

Last edited:

Just when you think PETA can't get any more moronic, they prove you wrong.

I may not be the best chef on this forum but, given the posts i've made in this subforum, i'm in the top 5.

This year me and the wife (and the dogs) will be going to the folks for thanksgiving. We'll be bringing salad fixins, a tasty tea blend, walnut muffins and fresh boiled spinach and cranberries with feta crumbles.

also, I don't care for garlic presses. Usually, I smash them with a mallet.

i love to cook.....

i use allrecipes.com most of the time, then tweak the recipes to put my own spin on them......

for some reason, i totally suck at making bread/pastry....... dont know what it is, but i just cant seem to get the hang of it....... and its not just yeast breads, i even suck making a pie crust.......

the local community college has an adult night class dedicated toteaching breads and pasties.... been thinking of signing up just never got around to it yet.......

i love to cook.....

i use allrecipes.com most of the time, then tweak the recipes to put my own spin on them......

for some reason, i totally suck at making bread/pastry....... dont know what it is, but i just cant seem to get the hang of it....... and its not just yeast breads, i even suck making a pie crust.......

the local community college has an adult night class dedicated toteaching breads and pasties.... been thinking of signing up just never got around to it yet.......

The secret of good pie crust is to use a good shortning--lard is the positively best but not that easy to come by any more--use ice water to moisten and don't over mix. And I love to bake bread with homemade French bread my specialty but it is something of a pain to make but it has taken years of practice to perfect. But not everybody is cut out to be a brilliant pastry chef or baker and not everybody loves doing it. We all have our special skills and talents and everybody is going to be better than somebody else at something.

I hope Sunshine won't mind if I move her Sweet Potato Pie recipe over here. It looks like a really easy and good one using ingredients most of us already have:

Foxfyre.........Here it is.......Sweet Potato Pie Recipe

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sweet Potato Pie

1/4 cup butter
1/2 cup brown sugar
1 1/2 cup mashed sweet potatoes
3 eggs slightly beated
1/3 cup corn syrup
1/3 cup milk
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 unbaked pie crust

Preheat oven to 425F. Cream the butter and sugar. Add the potatoes and eggs. Mix well. Mix syrup, milk, salt, and vanilla. Ad the potato misture. Line a 9 inch pie pan with the pie crust. Put filling in pan and bake for 10 minutes. Reduce heat to 325F and bake for 35 - 45 minutes.

I use light corn syrup and light brown sugar. I make my own pie crust but you don't have to. The recipe I use for pie crust is the recipe which I assume is still on the Crisco can. It takes a little more water than called for, though. If you make your own pie crust always use ice water which will make it more flaky.

1 pound of sweet potatoes boiled in their skins, then skins removed and the potatoes mashed will make just the right amount with a little bit left over.

i love to cook.....

The secret of good pie crust is to use a good shortning--lard is the positively best but not that easy to come by any more--use ice water to moisten and don't over mix. And I love to bake bread with homemade French bread my specialty but it is something of a pain to make but it has taken years of practice to perfect. But not everybody is cut out to be a brilliant pastry chef or baker and not everybody loves doing it. We all have our special skills and talents and everybody is going to be better than somebody else at something.

i will give the ice water thing a try........

i am not trying to be a brillant anything, i just like to feed friends and family...... i love all cooking, just never could get the hang of pastries......

i love to cook.....

i will give the ice water thing a try........

i am not trying to be a brillant anything, i just like to feed friends and family...... i love all cooking, just never could get the hang of pastries......

And that's okay. To this day I can't make cornbread that looks and tastes as good as my mother or inlaws could make it. Mine is just okay, but not the brilliant stuff they could turn out with relative ease not using a recipe at all but just mixing the stuff together. :)

I am not really a gourmet cook though I love to experiment and try different things. I married a very good man who also is a staunch meat and potatoes Southern cooking kind of guy and is underwhelmed by what most of us consider gourmet cooking. So that limits my experimentation somewhat. I don't want to have to eat ALL the stuff I cook. :)

Okay, I have one vote for putting my brand new garlic press in my next garage sale. Anybody else have some thoughts on that. It is such an impressive appliance, I'm just itching to use it. :)

I generally mince garlic. I put the side the knife on the clove and smack it to break the husk, then peal and mince. I've never really used a press.

Contre Filet Richelieu

This is an expensive meal, but excellent.

The main thing is the sauce.

You need a half cup of hollandaise sauce for this.

Make this in the blender by separating 3 eggs and putting the yolks in the blender. Heat one stick of butter very hot in the microwave. Drizzle the hot butter into the egg yolks with the blender on medium. When half of the butter is used, drizzle 1 Tbsp of lemon juice in, finish adding the butter. Set aside.

Start with a half pound of mushrooms, any variety. slice them medium thin.

3 or 4 leaks, finely chopped. You want about 1/2 cup.

Heat 2 Tbsp of butter over a medium flame, when melted, add one Tbsp of extra virgin olive oil. When hot, add the chopped leaks. Saute until they just begin caramelize, then add 1/4 cup dry, red wine such as Burgundy or Chianti. Add the mushrooms. When the mushrooms are tender and translucent, slowly add the hollandaise sauce into pan, stirring constantly.

Keep the sauce warm.

Take two Fillet Mignon's and butterfly. Broil them to taste, though anything past medium rare is a sin...

Ladle sauce generously onto the steaks and enjoy!

Forum List

Back