Usmb top chef

To spice up chicken legs...make a paste with Peri-Peri seasoning and olive oil and push into the meat and let sit for about 10 minutes before putting in the oven.

Peri-Peri is a unique blend of peppers and citrus popular in Africa. It has a rich spicy/lemony sort of flavor.

My favorite is Tom Douglas blend.. http://store.tomdouglas.com/products/rub-with-love-african-peri-peri-rub

A less sodium blend also good is - Marinades, Rubs & Sauces: Urban Accents Spice Mozambique Peri Peri

EDIT....What the...why is the

Last edited:
As far as the garlic I am with Syrenn on this one. A knife is all you need. I'll offer a very good formula:

Apple Tarte Tatin

I always eyeball this so there isn't much of a recipe, but here's what you do.

Get a 10" cake pan and cover the entire inside (sides too) in tin foil. Slice butter about 1/8th inch thick and cover the entire bottom of the pan in a single layer. Pour in sugar so that it just covers the butter. You can also sprinkle a slight amount of cinnamon and/or nutmeg if you wish (I don't). Peel, core, and half about a dozen red rome apples* and stand them on end (front to back) all the way around the perimeter of the pan. Then use more to fill the inside. Don't lay them flat, it's very important that they are stood on end and you want to pack them as tight as possible without breaking them. You might have to cut some smaller pieces for the middle.

At this point make a basic pie dough and roll it out to about 11". Cover it with a cloth.

Now put the pan over med-high heat and watch between the apples. When you see it start to boil up reduce the heat to low and let it cook. Occasionally spin the pan around a bit.

Now what is going to happen is that the water is going to leech out of the apples and filter down to the butter and sugar. This will all combine to make a caramel that will infuse back into the apples as they lose water. Now as they lose water they will shrink so you will want to fill in the gaps with more apple halves to keep it nice and tight.

What you are looking for is a nice caramel color (light amber) in the fluid bubbling up between the apples. You must be very careful to keep the heat low because it will burn very easily. It will take at least an hour and you have to keep it moving pretty frequently and keep packing in more apples.

When you have a nice caramel color place the pie dough on top and cook at 350 until the crust is done.

Allow to cool completely and then invert it onto a cake circle (or serving dish). You can use an offset spatula to smooth the surface and sides to make it look cleaner. This will also help bind it together.

If you have done it right what you will have are intact apple halves that are translucent amber in color and completely infused with caramel on top of your crust. Slice it into wedges and serve it warm with vanilla bean ice cream. You will know the joy of God....believe me.

*A note on the apples. Rome apples are the best for this because you need a really low water content. Don't use granny smiths or any apple with a similar water content. You will get applesauce.

Last edited:
As far as the garlic I am with Syrenn on this one. A knife is all you need. I'll offer a very good formula:

Apple Tarte Tatin

I always eyeball this so there isn't much of a recipe, but here's what you do.

Get a 10" cake pan and cover the entire inside (sides too) in tin foil. Slice butter about 1/8th inch thick and cover the entire bottom of the pan in a single layer. Pour in sugar so that it just covers the butter. You can also sprinkle a slight amount of cinnamon and/or nutmeg if you wish (I don't). Peel, core, and half about a dozen red rome apples* and stand them on end (front to back) all the way around the perimeter of the pan. Then use more to fill the inside. Don't lay them flat, it's very important that they are stood on end and you want to pack them as tight as possible without breaking them. You might have to cut some smaller pieces for the middle.

At this point make a basic pie dough and roll it out to about 11". Cover it with a cloth.

Now put the pan over med-high heat and watch between the apples. When you see it start to boil up reduce the heat to low and let it cook. Occasionally spin the pan around a bit.

Now what is going to happen is that the water is going to leech out of the apples and filter down to the butter and sugar. This will all combine to make a caramel that will infuse back into the apples as they lose water. Now as they lose water they will shrink so you will want to fill in the gaps with more apple halves to keep it nice and tight.

What you are looking for is a nice caramel color (light amber) in the fluid bubbling up between the apples. You must be very careful to keep the heat low because it will burn very easily. It will take at least an hour and you have to keep it moving pretty frequently and keep packing in more apples.

When you have a nice caramel color place the pie dough on top and cook at 350 until the crust is done.

Allow to cool completely and then invert it onto a cake circle (or serving dish). You can use an offset spatula to smooth the surface and sides to make it look cleaner. This will also help bind it together.

If you have done it right what you will have are intact apple halves that are translucent amber in color and completely infused with caramel on top of your crust. Slice it into wedges and serve it warm with vanilla bean ice cream. You will know the joy of God....believe me.

*A note on the apples. Rome apples are the best for this because you need a really low water content. Don't use granny smiths or any apple with a similar water content. You will get applesauce.

That sounds absolutely wonderful BP, and I bet it is delicious. But I don't think I could get my resident sous chef to tend those apples for an entire hour and I would find that pretty tedious myself. There's no easier way huh?

That sounds absolutely wonderful BP, and I bet it is delicious. But I don't think I could get my resident sous chef to tend those apples for an entire hour and I would find that pretty tedious myself. There's no easier way huh?

Not for this method no. I mean you don't have to stand there every little second, but I would check it every 5 minutes minimum.

Avocado Soup

Ingredients:
3 Avocados
½ Lemon
1 small onion
1 jalapeno (I like 3)
¼ tsp paprika
1/3 cube butter (trust me, use real butter)
1 clove garlic (or more, depends upon your taste for garlic)
¼ tsp white pepper
½ cup half and half (= ¼ cup cream + ¼ cup whole milk, do not try and get healthy on me and use low fat milk instead of half and half)
40 oz chicken broth (3 cans)

Method:
Dice the avocados and mix with the lemon juice. Set aside.
Chop/dice the onion, garlic and jalapeño and sauté them in the butter.
Heat the chicken broth, half and half, paprika and white pepper in a pot. Add the sautéed onion/garlic/jalapeno/butter and simmer for 10 minutes.
Combine all ingredients and use a blender (or your choice of mechanical device) to blend all ingredients until smooth.

The soup is excellent served hot right after blending, and even better served cold the next day for lunch. I got this recipe from my dad and he told me he got it from a Guatemalan woman that he had to beg her for the recipe. I’ve never seen avocado soup in a restaurant, and I’ve never heard of anybody else ever making it besides my family (and the Guatemalan woman my dad says he got the recipe from).
From my kitchen to yours, enjoy.

Avocado Soup

Ingredients:
3 Avocados
½ Lemon
1 small onion
1 jalapeno (I like 3)
¼ tsp paprika
¼ tsp white pepper
½ cup half and half (= ¼ cup cream + ¼ cup whole milk, do not try and get healthy on me and use low fat milk instead of half and half)

Method:
Heat the chicken broth, half and half, paprika and white pepper in a pot. Add the sautéed onion/garlic/jalapeno/butter and simmer for 10 minutes.
Combine all ingredients and use a blender (or your choice of mechanical device) to blend all ingredients until smooth.

The soup is excellent served hot right after blending, and even better served cold the next day for lunch. I got this recipe from my dad and he told me he got it from a Guatemalan woman that he had to beg her for the recipe. I’ve never seen avocado soup in a restaurant, and I’ve never heard of anybody else ever making it besides my family (and the Guatemalan woman my dad says he got the recipe from).

:lol:

What...no soy milk?

Avocado Soup

Ingredients:
3 Avocados
½ Lemon
1 small onion
1 jalapeno (I like 3)
¼ tsp paprika
¼ tsp white pepper

Method:

What...no soy milk?

Heretic.

Avocado Soup

Ingredients:
3 Avocados
½ Lemon
1 small onion
1 jalapeno (I like 3)
¼ tsp paprika
¼ tsp white pepper

Method:

What...no soy milk?

Heretic.

:lol::lol::lol:

hey, just thinking of EZ ya know.

My first question to the culinary experts here. The last time she was home, my daughter was going to prepare a special dish and bought me a nice, heavy duty garlic press that she needed for it. She never did get around to preparing the dish, however, and now I have this great garlic press. All my recipes call for minced or chopped garlic.

What do you primarily use a garlic press for?

LOL
Mainly for sauces. That gets the garlic nice and fine for the sauce. I use garlic and I love it to death is to skewer beef/chicken/ especially pork roasts with slivers.

But for the press you're mainly talking sauces.

It is a matter of taste and preference though. At a potluck dinner with a large variety of veggies, beans, salads, soups, etc. I freqently forego the meat offerings because I simply prefer the other. I am by no means Vegan or Vegetarian, but I wouldn't feel terribly deprived if I was forced onto that kind of diet.

So I really enjoy the interesting and flavorful veggie, bisque, fruit, and dessert recipes.

My first question to the culinary experts here. The last time she was home, my daughter was going to prepare a special dish and bought me a nice, heavy duty garlic press that she needed for it. She never did get around to preparing the dish, however, and now I have this great garlic press. All my recipes call for minced or chopped garlic.

Garlic juice. I hate garlic presses

A trick to cutting garlic is use a very sharp knife and keep the knife wet, dip in water every so often, it keeps the garlic from sticking, to the knife and your fingers. And makes it easier to slice and dice as fine as you need to

Garlic juice. I hate garlic presses

A trick to cutting garlic is use a very sharp knife and keep the knife wet, dip in water every so often, it keeps the garlic from sticking, to the knife and your fingers. And makes it easier to slice and dice as fine as you need to

Yes, and I do that. Apparently I've been an accomplished garlic chef and didn't know it. :) I have pretty well been convinced to dispense the garlic press to a good home, but first am going to try Valerie's method of letting the garlic press peel the garlic just in case I'm in a really big hurry sometime.

Forum List

Back