USMB Moderation Announcement.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Comments,questions and replies to this concept are welcome. We may revise the rules and format based on your input. But IMPORTANTLY -- for the purposes of THIS thread ------------------------------------

The problem is -- under Zone2 rules -- we would probably ALLOW those comments. Because we always err on the minimalist theory side of moderation. But in the I/P forum, the thread blows up before we can even react.

nettiqute is sisyphean effort anywhere one travels on this device.

it appears the usmb feels it's obligated , all fine and well

yet i'm moved to point out that there is little in the way of notification if one ,for example , uses 'ACTIVE THREADS' as to 'zones' that apply

just sayin.........~S~

We made the Zone Map far less complicated early this year when we collapse FOUR Zones into 3.. Now, everyone knows that Flame Zone, Rubber Room, Badlands is all of Zone3 and that Clean Debate, Intros, Lounge and Announcement is Zone1. Everything else is in the Middle Zone, which is 85% of USMB.

This change is not really a new forum. It's a patio lounge onto the I/P forum to rise above the conflict that appears in the IP forum. Both sides want a place to discuss actual life and work and recreation in the area.

We're trying to honor that. You should probably CHECK what forum you're in everytime you get drawn into it from an alert.. The only time you have to think, is if the forum is one of those 15% areas of USMB..

My HOPE IS -- that the majority of members who shy away from the I/P forum because it's much the same brawling unsolved maze puzzle there everyday -- will LEARN much more about the people living there than they EVER will from America's currently mentally retarded media. And that new people might be attracted to post in the I/P forum.

I'm unaware of any zone maps via ACTIVE topics flacaltenn, pardon me if i missed it

You do know many simply use ACTIVE topics , becasue it's where the board activity is.

If the usmb 'powers that be' are going to demand behavioral zones they will need to indicate where they exist

Otherwise you've an exercise in futility

thx
~S~

The best way to moderate any section is to select those who don't really have a dog in the fight to perform the moderation.

When you allow the most extreme zealots to run roughshod over the area of their obsession, you undermine any credibility you might have as to your fairness and balance.

Lemme repeat for you what I just told theLiq...

It was specifically requested in the Opening Post that there be NO REFERENCES to members/moderators or other related moderation issues. You need to RESPECT that request and pursue other issues/complaints in PM...

Second instances of this will result in warnings and thread-bans.

Comments,questions and replies to this concept are welcome. We may revise the rules and format based on your input. But IMPORTANTLY -- for the purposes of THIS thread ------------------------------------

The problem is -- under Zone2 rules -- we would probably ALLOW those comments. Because we always err on the minimalist theory side of moderation. But in the I/P forum, the thread blows up before we can even react.

yet i'm moved to point out that there is little in the way of notification if one ,for example , uses 'ACTIVE THREADS' as to 'zones' that apply

just sayin.........~S~

We made the Zone Map far less complicated early this year when we collapse FOUR Zones into 3.. Now, everyone knows that Flame Zone, Rubber Room, Badlands is all of Zone3 and that Clean Debate, Intros, Lounge and Announcement is Zone1. Everything else is in the Middle Zone, which is 85% of USMB.

This change is not really a new forum. It's a patio lounge onto the I/P forum to rise above the conflict that appears in the IP forum. Both sides want a place to discuss actual life and work and recreation in the area.

We're trying to honor that. You should probably CHECK what forum you're in everytime you get drawn into it from an alert.. The only time you have to think, is if the forum is one of those 15% areas of USMB..

My HOPE IS -- that the majority of members who shy away from the I/P forum because it's much the same brawling unsolved maze puzzle there everyday -- will LEARN much more about the people living there than they EVER will from America's currently mentally retarded media. And that new people might be attracted to post in the I/P forum.

I'm unaware of any zone maps via ACTIVE topics flacaltenn, pardon me if i missed it

You do know many simply use ACTIVE topics , becasue it's where the board activity is.

If the usmb 'powers that be' are going to demand behavioral zones they will need to indicate where they exist

thx
~S~

The forum is clearly shown at the top of each page. The Taunting Zone3 forums are a not an issue here. The 85% of Zone2 USMB is under the same rules. (some special forums with additional restrictions apply.)

So for ZONE1 forums -- that's the only "map" you actually need. And to recognize those 5 or 6 forums as more highly moderated -- shouldn't be a problem for anyone other than the new members.

Just scroll to the top of the page. OR READ THE OP.. And then look at the forum. Hopefully, this practice of diving into threads from alerts doesn't include posting without reading the OP.. Does it? :113:

just sayin.........~S~

thx
~S~

The forum is clearly shown at the top of each page. The Taunting Zone3 forums are a not an issue here. The 85% of Zone2 USMB is under the same rules. (some special forums with additional restrictions apply.)

So for ZONE1 forums -- that's the only "map" you actually need. And to recognize those 5 or 6 forums as more highly moderated -- shouldn't be a problem for anyone other than the new members.

Just scroll to the top of the page. OR READ THE OP.. And then look at the forum. Hopefully, this practice of diving into threads from alerts doesn't include posting without reading the OP.. Does it? :113:

I have this>>>
Discussion in 'Israel and Palestine' started by flacaltenn, Yesterday at 11:19 PM.

I see no 'zone 1, 2 , etc

where would it be flacaltenn?

~S~

just sayin.........~S~

thx
~S~

I have this>>>
Discussion in 'Israel and Palestine' started by flacaltenn, Yesterday at 11:19 PM.

I see no 'zone 1, 2 , etc

where would it be flacaltenn?

~S~

Right NOW it's in the Israel/Palestine forum that's been Zone 2 rules (IIRC) since I've been here. It TELLS you the forum right in your quote.. It's the 85% part of USMB that share common rules...

It is almost impossible to post anything positive about Palestine devoid of anything Israel. Israel has infused itself into every aspect of Palestinian life. Arts, music, poetry, farming, sports, business, etc all are under some form of attack or restriction by Israel.

One thing for sure, however, is that someone will come along behind me to take a dump on my post.

Right NOW it's in the Israel/Palestine forum that's been Zone 2 rules (IIRC) since I've been here. It TELLS you the forum right in your quote.. It's the 85% part of USMB that share common rules...

Yes i know i'm in Israel/Palestine forum , can you please show me where it indicates Zone 2 rules Flacatenn?

~S~

Yes i know i'm in Israel/Palestine forum , can you please show me where it indicates Zone 2 rules Flacatenn?

~S~

Are you seriously doing this?

Don't expect the posters with sense to respect you now.

iu

~S~

Ya go to Israel / Palestine forum : Israel / Palestine

Scroll down a bit and look for, voilà: Zone 2 Posting Rules

Thank you Olde Europe

this>>>Zone 2 Posting Rules

is NOT seen when surfing active topics, in fact it's the 1st time i've read it, and i logged on a decade ago

please realize many of us use active topics exclusively

~S~

The best way to moderate any section is to select those who don't really have a dog in the fight to perform the moderation.

When you allow the most extreme zealots to run roughshod over the area of their obsession, you undermine any credibility you might have as to your fairness and balance.

It was specifically requested in the Opening Post that there be NO REFERENCES to members/moderators or other related moderation issues. You need to RESPECT that request and pursue other issues/complaints in PM...

Care to address the extremely valid points I brought up?

~S~

when we collapse to 3 zones, the rules (Posting Guidelines on the Home Page) were edited to show all the Zone1 and Zone3 forums. We always keep that updated.

We Now are operating the site under 3 different zones. General site rules apply except where individual zone rules take precedent.

• "Zone 1": Clean Debate Zone (CDZ) / Introduce Yourself (Welcome Threads) / The Lounge and Announcements: Civil discourse is the focus here, regardless of topic matter. Constructive criticism and debate is the tone. No insulting, name calling, or putting down other posters. Consider it a lesson in Civics.
  • "Zone 2": All other forums not specified as Zone 1 or Zone 3: This will apply to the vast majority of the board.: Baiting and polarizing OP's (Opening Posts), and thread titles risk the thread either being moved or trashed. Keep it relevant, choose wisely. Each post must contain enough specific thread topic content to advance the discussion, in addition to any personal flame or snark. No trolling. No hit and run flames. No hijacking or derailing threads.
  • "Zone 3": Flame Zone/Badlands/Rubber Room: The least moderated forum on the site. Not viewed by non members. Site wide rules still apply, but are more loosely enforced. Extreme flaming threads and posts belong here. If the OP (Opening Post) of Your Thread is focused on Mocking or Ridicule, It belongs here. You must be 18 years or older to enter and participate in these forums. In addition -- a 100 post (new member) minimum is required in order to post or "thank" posts in the Flame Zone.
  • Always refer to the "sticky threads" that are placed at the top of each forum for additional posting guidelines that may pertain to that forum.

Care to address the extremely valid points I brought up?

Anytime man. We can add to the 26 pages in PM that we've discussed the issue. You're welcome to invite others into a PM and as many moderators as you wish..

~S~

Ya go to Israel / Palestine forum : Israel / Palestine

Scroll down a bit and look for, voilà: Zone 2 Posting Rules

Thank you Olde Europe

this>>>Zone 2 Posting Rules

is NOT seen when surfing active topics, in fact it's the 1st time i've read it, and i logged on a decade ago

please realize many of us use active topics exclusively

~S~

Like I said, if you use active topics, you SHOULD actually read the OP to see what bounds that discussion. And right above the OP -- without even scrolling for it -- is the name of the forum that you are in...

We'll publish a map eventually for new members. We HAD one that a member created for us (IIRC TooBfreak) -- but it was in was in a format that was not editable and we couldn't update it.

So rational, sensible ideas are too completely threatening to you folks to discuss in public.

Got it.

I will do you a favor and post no more in this thread.

I appreciate your balanced view.I must say that I just checked out a thread by a mod who admits she's pro Palestine and then publically calls out "Team Israel" ONLY for bombing the pro-Pal threads instead of recognising that this cuts both ways. That approach is more the problem than the solution.

Here's the reality:

Only time I will say this. I am pro-Palestinian and I make no secret of that though I a[m] also pro-Israel in that I fully believe in their rights. As a MEMBER I have a right to post my opinions whether you like them or not. There is NO requirenent for me to be neutral or pro Israel what so ever in what I post any more than YOU. Mods can post as members.
[...]
Given that this place is 90% pro-Israel you have a plentiful assortment of nice pro-Israel threads to select from and an abundance of pali threads. Why do you need to deliberately destroy this one?

Have at it.

Coyote patiently explained, several times, the characteristics of the thread - to no avail - and extended to Team Israel the courtesy of explaining the moderating principles, also several times, also to no avail. Instead of following perfectly clear instructions, Team Israel issued a flurry of accusations ranging from bias to hypocrisy, including extended whines about how Team Israel is being called out for Team Israel's obvious attempts at inundating and destroying the thread.

That approach, by Team Israel in this case, clearly denotes the problem. It's also the reason why I, for one, usually keep away from anything even remotely associated with the IP conflict. Most of what I read there I found both unbearable and useless, and the necessity to create a sub-forum with the - in effect - specific instruction "only positive things about..." is a confirmation of that sordid state of affairs. The like should not be necessary, and Palestinian attainments ranging from the arts to agriculture should be cause for celebration in Israel, including Team Israel, for that would point to a neighbor to work with to create something better. That, however, is not what transpired.

So, yes, perhaps such sub-forum is indeed necessary.

Consistent thread cleaning should have caught this post. Reporting also should have caught this post. It breaks the rules of the thread. Yet it is still here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum List

Back