USMB Coffee Shop IV

ES8j_31WsAAj--n.jpg

Hi all. Well, after two weeks of low platelet counts the wife's labs were normal and she was able to get her chemo round today. Tomorrow she goes back for her Neunasty (Neulasta) shot, why Neunasty? Because while it promotes healthy white blood cell production it causes the bones to ache but it is necessary to continue the treatment.
A couple of days ago she finally had it with her old, slow Inspiron 7010 laptop, thank God, not to mention the battery on it is bad so it has to stay plugged in. Set up my Inspiron 17R 5737 they way she wanted it, now all she's getting used to is the higher touchpad sensitivity. I also just ordered a 1 TB SSD to replace the old HDD (hard drive) for her, it will speed up that laptop by about 100%, all I have to do is clone her current hard drive over to the new SSD then install the new SSD on the laptop.

She's also been going through boxes over the last month, mostly clothing, sorting out a few things to keep and donating the rest. Some articles of clothing were still in their packages........ Other than pulling out the boxes I've been letting her do this on her own, it's her stuff that she's been holding onto forever so it's her decision on what to do with it. She just told me she's considering donating an antique lingerie cabinet that she's had since we first met, she hasn't used it in years and it just takes up space in storage. I'll probably end up donating her old laptop.

Hi all. Well, after two weeks of low platelet counts the wife's labs were normal and she was able to get her chemo round today. Tomorrow she goes back for her Neunasty (Neulasta) shot, why Neunasty? Because while it promotes healthy white blood cell production it causes the bones to ache but it is necessary to continue the treatment.
A couple of days ago she finally had it with her old, slow Inspiron 7010 laptop, thank God, not to mention the battery on it is bad so it has to stay plugged in. Set up my Inspiron 17R 5737 they way she wanted it, now all she's getting used to is the higher touchpad sensitivity. I also just ordered a 1 TB SSD to replace the old HDD (hard drive) for her, it will speed up that laptop by about 100%, all I have to do is clone her current hard drive over to the new SSD then install the new SSD on the laptop.

She's also been going through boxes over the last month, mostly clothing, sorting out a few things to keep and donating the rest. Some articles of clothing were still in their packages........ Other than pulling out the boxes I've been letting her do this on her own, it's her stuff that she's been holding onto forever so it's her decision on what to do with it. She just told me she's considering donating an antique lingerie cabinet that she's had since we first met, she hasn't used it in years and it just takes up space in storage. I'll probably end up donating her old laptop.
Bless your dear family, Mr. Ringel. Sounds like Mrs. Ringel is getting better but not taking any chances... :huddle:

Do you clean the hard drive before you donate a computer? If so, how?

I use my laptop in the living room when watching TV and for travel of course, but I really REALLY prefer my much more versatile desktop PC and 26" monitor for most computer tasks and for surfing and playing games. The laptop is a lot less satisfying and pleasant for me.

I installed Linux Mint then did an autoremove to get rid of all unused and unusable files. I could have also done a fresh install of Windows which would have done the same as both wipes the hard drive before installing the new operating system. Even if something was left the wife had nothing that could be compromised on the laptop so I wasn't that worried about it.

You could format the drive, but you would loose the windows operating system. It may take a long time but I would go through all personal files like text in word processors deleting them. Also log out of any forums so that new owners cannot use your account.

I installed Linux Mint then did an autoremove to get rid of all unused and unusable files. I could have also done a fresh install of Windows which would have done the same as both wipes the hard drive before installing the new operating system. Even if something was left the wife had nothing that could be compromised on the laptop so I wasn't that worried about it.

I seem to recollect that reinstalling windows over an existing version does not remove your personal files and programs and data. They are saved and reinstalled to the new windows. But I could be wrong.

I seem to recollect that reinstalling windows over an existing version does not remove your personal files and programs and data. They are saved and reinstalled to the new windows. But I could be wrong.
You are correct but that's one option and it will not necessarily keep your personal files and third party apps, discovered that the hard way........ The other option it gives in Settings is to do a clean reinstall where all personal folders and third party apps are wiped, resets it like a completely new install.

I'm also burning a Microsoft Media Creation tool on a flash drive in case they want to reinstall Windows but Windows will run a lot slower on this laptop than Linux due to the laptop's age. It was first released in 2000, twenty years ago, we've come a long way since then.

Half life 3 is finally coming out, but I will not be playing it any time soon. Because it will only work on a virtual reality headset, and the minimum computer specs are far higher than mine. I would need a new computer and a headset which would be about £2000 . Actually I do have that money, but I do not want to spend it just for one game.

Has anyone here used a virtual reality headset ? I am wondering if they have adjustable focus, or if you can wear reading glasses underneath them. I need glasses just to se my pc monitor, and I am not sure I will be able to focus on screens in a virtual reality headset.

Forum List

Back