USMB Coffee Shop IV

87734573_10216550173414483_4785393531172683776_n.jpg
Friday the 13th?
View attachment 311234

:) Yes. Here, Friday the 13th, along with the number 13, is associated with the possibility of weirdness, strange happenings, and bad luck. Are there any such superstitious traditions there re the No. 13 and/or Friday the 13th?
Same here! Many people hate Friday 13th because they think it's an unlucky day! :eek:
I'm one of them, I'm superstitious :D

Time to make a pot of coffee! Morning everyone! For once it wasn't horribly cold last night. And the birds are singing their sweet hearts out this morning. It's great to see familiar faces here. Yay!

Have an awesome day! :coffee:

Here's one for the road! Oops, kept adding. Love those garden quilts
OIP.tnq4UhVgEBW7-z-jKxmduAAAAA
OIP.JE3OvepuHapAgvOKTi5l9gHaJe
OIP.ZpHHMRqBwLlIRgRe1ZFPXwHaLJ

OIP.Mrv-1YW_2RhfJcAwWB36-AHaFX
OIP.1Mlop9mIBpnKoDAhdCUjNQHaIV
OIP.v7nmVoBmr5jPT7AFOj7EKwAAAA

Last edited:
hmmmmm …..any chance of a full moon tonight????
It was a full moon when my nephew died on Feb 9. He suffered from seizures, and I didn't even know it till I got a call from his wife the evening of Feb. 8.

I'm sorry Miss Beau, I hadn't meant to remind you of that. I am so sorry :smiliehug:

I was being a bit facetious and sarcastic and trying to hide it in a more CS appropriate way toward 2 of those that I have to be nice too. Cause anywhere else on this board, it would have ended a bit differently. ;)
Not your fault. I was just obsessing because his life on this planet was not a good one for him. He was born with a birth defect my sister would not discuss. She drank, she smoked, she did drugs, but no matter what I loved her to pieces. She died 3 years ago, and her son disappeared on and off. One day out of the blue about a year ago, I got a call to his house and met his wife of 2 years. She seemed such a sweetie. They met when he began caring for her and had been acquainted in elementary school. They fell in love, but he continued getting a salary from a care giver's outfit for continuing his work, even after they got married. Even so, there are things about marriage that stress some people, and on a scale of 1 to 10, he suddenly became a 9. He tried to explain it to me a week before he passed away, but I just told him marriage had times you needed to adjust. On Feb 8 his wife called and said he was having seizures. Since my sister never discussed his issues, I was unaware of his history of seizures from an early age on. His dad passed away about 6 years ago, and my sister, 3 years ago. She had been his anchor, but he was offish by adulthood and as many times as I offered him help, he disappeared with no forwarding address, no phone calls, nothing. I was looking forward to spending time with him and his wife for life, when her call came. I went because she said I would be the only one to convince him to get into the ambulance. So I dropped everything and flew over there to find him writhing on the floor with a terrible full-body seizure, and reassured him the ambulance people were there to make sure he was okay, so he started cooperating enough to get him on a guerney, although he was visibly unhappy and looked terrorized. I followed his ambulance to the hospital with his wife in the car. When we got there they soon made it known they did not have the facilities to help his problem and airlifted him to a hospital nearby that did. So, again, we got into the car and followed the freeway to the hospital that was about 35 miles away. It was a long night, but it was already early in the morning, and relatives were called and drove the distance to the hospital. I spent a lot of time in his room, bemoaning about not listening to him more carefully, but thinking all along he would get better. What I didn't know is that the machines were all that were between him and the grave. I thought up to the time the family voted to remove the life-saving equipment, that he would make a miraculous recovery and we could look into why he was convulsing so strangely. I was holding his hand to give him courage when they removed the tubes, but instead of opening his eyes and blinking hope back to us, he flatlined in less than 5 minutes.

When you said full moon, I had been trying to remember when he passed away, had found out it was Feb. 9, and I knew when I drove home it was a full moon light which was helpful to my return trip home. I looked it up online, and it was Feb 8, and it was bright when we made our trip to the hospital because of the full moon. Then I called up his wife, and she confirmed it was Feb. 9 when he passed. Having nothing better to do, I came back here, and noticed the words "full moon." the same day. I was obsessing about if I had done this or known that or questioned my sister more about him while she was still living--you know, the coulda woulda shoulda routine.

So I'm sorry if you're feeling liable but it's my fault to have been obsessing. I just didn't deal with it well because i was probably the only one there who was absolutely sure he'd bounce right back into life when they removed the tubes. My cousin said quite plainly there was no hope for him before or after the tubes were taken out. Derr. I just kept on thinking he'd bounce back. Didn't happen. It's nobody's fault.

Please forgive me, J.A.N. You have never been anything but kind and thoughtful to everyone here. If anyone is to blame it is on me for obsessing over something no one alive had anything to do with. They were just keeping him alive with machines. The damages his extreme seizures caused were irreversible. He seized horrendously nonstop all night and all day and had seized 3 or 4 times while we were discussing whether to remove the tubes or not. The nurses and doctor were recommending withdrawing the tubes. When your life is over, it's over. People in the ER are skilled in their practice of dealing with people on the edge between life and death and have a good series of tests that determine whether there's hope or not and the percentages were one in a million. That's bad odds, and I was deaf to bad odds.

Worked on a quilt this afternoon, and am getting back to it. Everything is lime and dark green, the color of life and growth. Our sorrows define how wonderful good times are. A toast to your good and beneficent life, J.A.N., Foxy, and all who come here and share stuff, good and bad.
To life and good stuff. :beer:
And prayers for all the rest. :eusa_pray:
Thank you for sharing that, Beau. What a trial. How is his wife doing?
She's already flirting with men. I took her to Walmart because she didn't have a car before I got so sick, and she and her grown daughter were flirting with the same man, and she bragged about it all the way back to her house. I was already stressed from my nephew's death, and I have been running a fever which broke last night or early this morning. I finally fell asleep around 3 am til the phone rang with a "Fraudulent Caller" (my phone identifies dishonest merchants by that title) at 8:01 am. I was groggy, and when I went downstairs for the phone, I accidentally ran into the open door of the oven I was heating the kitchen with, which is built into the wall, and the door opened was at chest height, and put a nick in my chin while I still had sleep in my eyes. When I got to the phone, they'd already hung up, but my Caller ID button said it was a Fraudulent Call. Since it's Monday morning, I collected my wits as best I could, and called the Well and Pump service and my brother to make arrangements for them to come here tomorrow and go through the all day job of pulling up 200 feet of pipes to get to the water pump, which means they will have to take off and replace the roof again of the barn the well is located in. lol.

Hey thanks gallantwarrior. Hope the spring melt is early and kind to the Great State of Alaska and that you have a steller spring and summer ahead and a garden that produces the best food for you and your charges and loved ones, good health to your herd, and great benefits when you retire. I always learn something good when I read your posts.

Big hug for everybody here. :huddle:
And as the Irish say, "May ye be in heaven half an hour before the Devil knows yer dead." View attachment 308547
Thank you for your kind thoughts, especially in the face of all your troubles.
The past week we've gotten about four feet of snow here. That's why I've been MIA in the Coffee Shop. I've been shoveling snow where the snow blower can't go, and those places are getting more numerous. The snow is now so deep that the blower cannot fling the snow high enough and most of is just slumps back into the drive. I also have the clear the pickup so that I can get more hay for my goats.
Speaking of hay, I am now feeding a resident moose. Even after I secured the hay supply, she has been going into the goat pens, chasing the goats, and eating their supplies. I'd shoot her and put her into the freezer except the penalties for doing so are too steep. I'm going to call Fish & Game and find out if they will do anything to help the situation.
I just learned from your well situation that I will not place a well head inside the barn. My current well in useless because both my 220v ac generators are in the shop and the well head is now buried under all this snow. Next year, I will have a well house.
I plan on taking a couple of weeks prior to my hip surgery to build a well house and chicken/turkey coop, as well as finishing a goat shed and more fencing. My brothers are coming up and I will have them help me roof the barn and clear trees.
I hope you are feeling better and that your garden grows heathy and fruitful this year.

It was a full moon when my nephew died on Feb 9. He suffered from seizures, and I didn't even know it till I got a call from his wife the evening of Feb. 8.

I'm sorry Miss Beau, I hadn't meant to remind you of that. I am so sorry :smiliehug:

I was being a bit facetious and sarcastic and trying to hide it in a more CS appropriate way toward 2 of those that I have to be nice too. Cause anywhere else on this board, it would have ended a bit differently. ;)
Not your fault. I was just obsessing because his life on this planet was not a good one for him. He was born with a birth defect my sister would not discuss. She drank, she smoked, she did drugs, but no matter what I loved her to pieces. She died 3 years ago, and her son disappeared on and off. One day out of the blue about a year ago, I got a call to his house and met his wife of 2 years. She seemed such a sweetie. They met when he began caring for her and had been acquainted in elementary school. They fell in love, but he continued getting a salary from a care giver's outfit for continuing his work, even after they got married. Even so, there are things about marriage that stress some people, and on a scale of 1 to 10, he suddenly became a 9. He tried to explain it to me a week before he passed away, but I just told him marriage had times you needed to adjust. On Feb 8 his wife called and said he was having seizures. Since my sister never discussed his issues, I was unaware of his history of seizures from an early age on. His dad passed away about 6 years ago, and my sister, 3 years ago. She had been his anchor, but he was offish by adulthood and as many times as I offered him help, he disappeared with no forwarding address, no phone calls, nothing. I was looking forward to spending time with him and his wife for life, when her call came. I went because she said I would be the only one to convince him to get into the ambulance. So I dropped everything and flew over there to find him writhing on the floor with a terrible full-body seizure, and reassured him the ambulance people were there to make sure he was okay, so he started cooperating enough to get him on a guerney, although he was visibly unhappy and looked terrorized. I followed his ambulance to the hospital with his wife in the car. When we got there they soon made it known they did not have the facilities to help his problem and airlifted him to a hospital nearby that did. So, again, we got into the car and followed the freeway to the hospital that was about 35 miles away. It was a long night, but it was already early in the morning, and relatives were called and drove the distance to the hospital. I spent a lot of time in his room, bemoaning about not listening to him more carefully, but thinking all along he would get better. What I didn't know is that the machines were all that were between him and the grave. I thought up to the time the family voted to remove the life-saving equipment, that he would make a miraculous recovery and we could look into why he was convulsing so strangely. I was holding his hand to give him courage when they removed the tubes, but instead of opening his eyes and blinking hope back to us, he flatlined in less than 5 minutes.

When you said full moon, I had been trying to remember when he passed away, had found out it was Feb. 9, and I knew when I drove home it was a full moon light which was helpful to my return trip home. I looked it up online, and it was Feb 8, and it was bright when we made our trip to the hospital because of the full moon. Then I called up his wife, and she confirmed it was Feb. 9 when he passed. Having nothing better to do, I came back here, and noticed the words "full moon." the same day. I was obsessing about if I had done this or known that or questioned my sister more about him while she was still living--you know, the coulda woulda shoulda routine.

So I'm sorry if you're feeling liable but it's my fault to have been obsessing. I just didn't deal with it well because i was probably the only one there who was absolutely sure he'd bounce right back into life when they removed the tubes. My cousin said quite plainly there was no hope for him before or after the tubes were taken out. Derr. I just kept on thinking he'd bounce back. Didn't happen. It's nobody's fault.

Please forgive me, J.A.N. You have never been anything but kind and thoughtful to everyone here. If anyone is to blame it is on me for obsessing over something no one alive had anything to do with. They were just keeping him alive with machines. The damages his extreme seizures caused were irreversible. He seized horrendously nonstop all night and all day and had seized 3 or 4 times while we were discussing whether to remove the tubes or not. The nurses and doctor were recommending withdrawing the tubes. When your life is over, it's over. People in the ER are skilled in their practice of dealing with people on the edge between life and death and have a good series of tests that determine whether there's hope or not and the percentages were one in a million. That's bad odds, and I was deaf to bad odds.

Worked on a quilt this afternoon, and am getting back to it. Everything is lime and dark green, the color of life and growth. Our sorrows define how wonderful good times are. A toast to your good and beneficent life, J.A.N., Foxy, and all who come here and share stuff, good and bad.
To life and good stuff. :beer:
And prayers for all the rest. :eusa_pray:
Thank you for sharing that, Beau. What a trial. How is his wife doing?
She's already flirting with men. I took her to Walmart because she didn't have a car before I got so sick, and she and her grown daughter were flirting with the same man, and she bragged about it all the way back to her house. I was already stressed from my nephew's death, and I have been running a fever which broke last night or early this morning. I finally fell asleep around 3 am til the phone rang with a "Fraudulent Caller" (my phone identifies dishonest merchants by that title) at 8:01 am. I was groggy, and when I went downstairs for the phone, I accidentally ran into the open door of the oven I was heating the kitchen with, which is built into the wall, and the door opened was at chest height, and put a nick in my chin while I still had sleep in my eyes. When I got to the phone, they'd already hung up, but my Caller ID button said it was a Fraudulent Call. Since it's Monday morning, I collected my wits as best I could, and called the Well and Pump service and my brother to make arrangements for them to come here tomorrow and go through the all day job of pulling up 200 feet of pipes to get to the water pump, which means they will have to take off and replace the roof again of the barn the well is located in. lol.

Hey thanks gallantwarrior. Hope the spring melt is early and kind to the Great State of Alaska and that you have a steller spring and summer ahead and a garden that produces the best food for you and your charges and loved ones, good health to your herd, and great benefits when you retire. I always learn something good when I read your posts.

Big hug for everybody here. :huddle:
And as the Irish say, "May ye be in heaven half an hour before the Devil knows yer dead." View attachment 308547
Thank you for your kind thoughts, especially in the face of all your troubles.
The past week we've gotten about four feet of snow here. That's why I've been MIA in the Coffee Shop. I've been shoveling snow where the snow blower can't go, and those places are getting more numerous. The snow is now so deep that the blower cannot fling the snow high enough and most of is just slumps back into the drive. I also have the clear the pickup so that I can get more hay for my goats.
Speaking of hay, I am now feeding a resident moose. Even after I secured the hay supply, she has been going into the goat pens, chasing the goats, and eating their supplies. I'd shoot her and put her into the freezer except the penalties for doing so are too steep. I'm going to call Fish & Game and find out if they will do anything to help the situation.
I just learned from your well situation that I will not place a well head inside the barn. My current well in useless because both my 220v ac generators are in the shop and the well head is now buried under all this snow. Next year, I will have a well house.
I plan on taking a couple of weeks prior to my hip surgery to build a well house and chicken/turkey coop, as well as finishing a goat shed and more fencing. My brothers are coming up and I will have them help me roof the barn and clear trees.
I hope you are feeling better and that your garden grows heathy and fruitful this year.

Geez GW. All those winters you didn't get enough snow and now that you need a respite it isn't there for you. When does the big melt happen in Alaska? It has started here--some of the earlier trees are already leafing out--but I presume your summers are much shorter.

It’s 2:18pm here, I’m on my 6th cup of instant coffee

Instant coffee? I know it's much better now than it used to be, but I just can't bring myself to buy it. I always figured I should brew tea from tea leaves--not tea bags--for British guests and my one good friend from India, now gone from this world. She was 100% Indian, native to her country, but quite British in her customs. Spoke fluent English with a somewhat British accent. I made her real tea.

The full moon this week is typically called the Worm Moon as life begins to emerge from the long winter. It is the mark of the beginning of spring in ancient lore though by the calendar the first day of spring is just under two weeks away. This week's full moon is the first of three successive super moons--closer, bigger, brighter than usual--that we will enjoy in 2020. The next will be in April and May.

:) Yes. Here, Friday the 13th, along with the number 13, is associated with the possibility of weirdness, strange happenings, and bad luck. Are there any such superstitious traditions there re the No. 13 and/or Friday the 13th?
Same here! Many people hate Friday 13th because they think it's an unlucky day! :eek:
I'm one of them, I'm superstitious :D

Except the 13th of September, which is The Day of Programmer, because it 256th day in year! :)

The full moon this week is typically called the Worm Moon as life begins to emerge from the long winter. It is the mark of the beginning of spring in ancient lore though by the calendar the first day of spring is just under two weeks away. This week's full moon is the first of three successive super moons--closer, bigger, brighter than usual--that we will enjoy in 2020. The next will be in April and May.

Full Moon usually gives a power, but I seriously want to sleep after visiting a stomatologist :) Damn, I must not only reach of working day end, but also fix two bugs... Why I cannot work and sleep at the same time?

Instant coffee? I know it's much better now than it used to be, but I just can't bring myself to buy it. I always figured I should brew tea from tea leaves--not tea bags--for British guests and my one good friend from India, now gone from this world. She was 100% Indian, native to her country, but quite British in her customs. Spoke fluent English with a somewhat British accent. I made her real tea.

You know, I've been drinking hot tea for more than 30 years now, and I don't think I've ever had loose leaf brewed tea. It's always tea bags. :lol:

You know, I've been drinking hot tea for more than 30 years now, and I don't think I've ever had loose leaf brewed tea. It's always tea bags. :lol:

Why, why so many people in different chats discuss tea and coffee and nobody discuss lager or IPA this day???? :)

Why, why so many people in different chats discuss tea and coffee and nobody discuss lager or IPA this day???? :)

I don’t drink alcohol and I particularly dislike beer. ;)

I intended to do the same during work, but how I want to lay at the side of tropic sea and drink light cold beer ! :)

And I really like beer and don't like strong drinks...

Time to make a pot of coffee! Morning everyone! For once it wasn't horribly cold last night. And the birds are singing their sweet hearts out this morning. It's great to see familiar faces here. Yay!

Have an awesome day! :coffee:

Here's one for the road! Oops, kept adding. Love those garden quilts
OIP.tnq4UhVgEBW7-z-jKxmduAAAAA
OIP.JE3OvepuHapAgvOKTi5l9gHaJe
OIP.ZpHHMRqBwLlIRgRe1ZFPXwHaLJ

OIP.Mrv-1YW_2RhfJcAwWB36-AHaFX
OIP.1Mlop9mIBpnKoDAhdCUjNQHaIV
OIP.v7nmVoBmr5jPT7AFOj7EKwAAAA
Greetings, Beau! It was freeze-yo-nads cold here last night. At least no new snow. I simply have no place to put it anymore! The drive is just barely wide enough for the cars and fortunately the road has been cleared enough that we don't high center with the smaller cars.
Thanks for the awesome quilts that remind me that Spring will come.

Beer is about all I can tolerate these days. Hard liquor and wine both make me feel ill. My buddy did find an old case of my own mead in his basement, though. I will dole that out for special occasions.

Beer is about all I can tolerate these days. Hard liquor and wine both make me feel ill. My buddy did find an old case of my own mead in his basement, though. I will dole that out for special occasions.

It’s Mother’s Day on Sunday, for a treat I will take Mrs Batty out on Saturday for a steak at her favourite bar.

I only drink Nescafé instant coffee at work, small cups, it’s stops me dehydrating I suppose?

Forum List

Back