USMB Coffee Shop IV

Well the company did..😄..and good luck Lady Boedicca..

We lived in Mountain View but I worked on East Meadow Circle, great weather.
Mountain View to Palo Alto is a 3ish hr commute? I remember it as just a few miles? Seems like we went through there or near there on our way from Palo Alto to the San Jose Airport? Daughter lives in the Monterey Bay area now so it has been a long time since we were in the SF Bay area though.

Mountain View to Palo Alto is a 3ish hr commute? I remember it as just a few miles? Seems like we went through there or near there on our way from Palo Alto to the San Jose Airport? Daughter lives in the Monterey Bay area now so it has been a long time since we were in the SF Bay area though.
Sorry for the misunderstanding, when I worked in Palo Alto we lived in Mountain View but when I initially retired we moved to Cobb Mountain, Lake County CA . So after that I had to commute from Cobb. Cobb was/is a small resort town north of Napa Valley, population around 1,000 at the time.

Last edited:
Sorry for the misunderstanding, when I worked in Palo Alto we lived in Mountain View but when I initially retired we moved to Cobb Mountain, Lake County CA . So after that I had to commute from Cobb. Cobb was/is a small resort town north of Napa Valley, population around 1,000 at the time.
Ah okay. I didn't make the move with you to Cobb Mountain. :)

I may have saved my neighbor's life yesterday. I heard something odd as I was walking around on my patio. I went back inside but then I thought it might be my neighbor who is a widow and lives alone. So I went back out and walked next door and sure enough it was her crying out from inside her garage. Fortunately I talked her into giving me a house key a month ago since she is prone to falling. I found her face down on the garage floor she said she had been laying their over 4 hours already. She was so weak she couldn't lift her head when I gave her some water.

She was in a lot of pain so I didn't move her and called 911. They were there in less than 5 minutes, 4 guys from the fire dept. They gave her morphine and hoisted her onto a gurney and took her to the hospital. Her daughter called me later and told me her arm was broken but they didn't set it in a cast (?) just a sling. And now she's back home alone because she refuses help! Her daughter is at wit's end. I'm going to check on her in a bit but something's got to give here. If I hadn't found her I doubt she would be alive now it's already hitting 100 degrees. She is so stubborn but she is very fragile, it's a very sad and dangerous situation.

1717356081858.png

I may have saved my neighbor's life yesterday. I heard something odd as I was walking around on my patio. I went back inside but then I thought it might be my neighbor who is a widow and lives alone. So I went back out and walked next door and sure enough it was her crying out from inside her garage. Fortunately I talked her into giving me a house key a month ago since she is prone to falling. I found her face down on the garage floor she said she had been laying their over 4 hours already. She was so weak she couldn't lift her head when I gave her some water.

She was in a lot of pain so I didn't move her and called 911. They were there in less than 5 minutes, 4 guys from the fire dept. They gave her morphine and hoisted her onto a gurney and took her to the hospital. Her daughter called me later and told me her arm was broken but they didn't set it in a cast (?) just a sling. And now she's back home alone because she refuses help! Her daughter is at wit's end. I'm going to check on her in a bit but something's got to give here. If I hadn't found her I doubt she would be alive now it's already hitting 100 degrees. She is so stubborn but she is very fragile, it's a very sad and dangerous situation.
Bless you for caring enough to intervene in what was likely a life threatening situation Mike. And listening to your instincts. We need more people in the world like that.

It takes so little effort to just check on a person who is vulnerable.
It doesn't help when they won't help themselves, but still. . .

After some bad falls, my Aunt Betty finally agreed at age 96 that living alone wasn't such a good idea. So with the herculean effort of two friends from Texas, my two nieces and a nephew-in-law and Hombre and myself, a year ago March we managed to get her house ready to sell, got her moved into a lovely independent living facility, held an estate sale for the rest of her stuff and got the house sold.

I still check on her frequently and drive her most places she needs to go, but it is such a huge weight off me to know that if she hasn't opened her door by 10 a.m. in the morning, someone on staff will check on her. But then she is precious family.

You are more noble taking care of somebody not related to you or even a special friend. And stressful that you are in the position of caring enough to feel responsible. Blessings upon you!

And welcome back to the Coffee Shop! :)

Last edited:
Bless you for caring enough to intervene in what was likely a life threatening situation Mike. And listening to your instincts. We need more people in the world like that.

After some bad falls, my Aunt Betty finally agreed at age 96 that living alone wasn't such a good idea. So with the herculean effort of two friends from Texas, my two nieces and a nephew-in-law and Hombre and myself, a year ago March we managed to get her house ready to sell, got her moved into a lovely independent living facility, held an estate sale for the rest of her stuff and got the house sold.

I still check on her frequently and drive her most places she needs to go, but it is such a huge weight off me to know that if she hasn't opened her door by 10 a.m. in the morning, someone on staff will check on her. But then she is precious family.

You are more noble taking care of somebody not related to you or even a special friend. And stressful that you are in the position of caring enough to feel responsible. Blessings upon you!
I got my mother one of those "I've fallen and can't get up" necklaces. Works great, but she forgets to wear it most of the time. Nothing I could say to get her to wear it until I started complaining about what it cost and made her feel guilty. It's not that expensive, and I would happily pay twice the price, but if it takes making her feel guilty before she remembers to wear it, I'm not too proud to play it that way.

I got my mother one of those "I've fallen and can't get up" necklaces. Works great, but she forgets to wear it most of the time. Nothing I could say to get her to wear it until I started complaining about what it cost and made her feel guilty. It's not that expensive, and I would happily pay twice the price, but if it takes making her feel guilty before she remembers to wear it, I'm not too proud to play it that way.
You're a good person to care.

Aunt Betty has a pacemaker and it isn't recommended she wear anything around her neck with a transmitter. And she's a super fastidious person--always with a freshly styled hairdo, manicure, dresses like a fashion model--this woman will be 98 in September--so she resists wearing anything that would interfere with the look. She wears her deceased daughter's (only child) designer watch and doesn't want to replace it with a smart watch that alerts somebody if she falls. No way I would be able to guilt this woman into anything not that I would be too proud to do it if I could. LOL

But thankfully she is in a facility that checks on her so I am not too worried about her.

And welcome back to the Coffee Shop BULLDOG. Happy you stopped in. :)

Thank you FoxFyre. It's just a terrible situation because her daughter and her have been fighting over family stuff (won't go into that) before she broke her arm. She really should be in independent living but she is stubborn as they come. Her husband was a a great guy and literally did everything for her which probably made it even worse for her when he passed. She called me a couple nights ago at 3am crying that she slid out of her chair onto the floor. It literally took me an hour to figure out how to get her to her feet without touching her broken arm. At least the family is coming by during the day now.

We've all talked to her about getting a Life Alert but she doesn't want it and said she knew someone who had it that said it was a waste of money. I was thinking of an intercom system that voice activates and sends her voice all over the house. So wherever she fell she could say 'Siri call 911'. I think that would work.

We've all talked to her about getting a Life Alert but she doesn't want it and said she knew someone who had it that said it was a waste of money. I was thinking of an intercom system that voice activates and sends her voice all over the house. So wherever she fell she could say 'Siri call 911'. I think that would work.
That might work. This thing notifies the company who immediately calls her on the telephone. If she doesn't answer the phone, they call the ambulance and FD. Next, they call me as well as my brother. Not as good as someone actually being there, but it's better than nothing for a 95-year-old woman who insists on living by herself.

That might work. This thing notifies the company who immediately calls her on the telephone. If she doesn't answer the phone, they call the ambulance and FD. Next, they call me as well as my brother. Not as good as someone actually being there, but it's better than nothing for a 95-year-old woman who insists on living by herself.
Thanks I'll check it out.

Bit of blow tonite with torrential sideways rain. Didnt think much of it till I tried to enter the neighborhood. Large trees down everywhere. Several homes with serious damage as you turn in. We are deeper in. Somewhat anxious but we were untouched. Couple large branches on the roof but none pierced thru.

Bit of blow tonite with torrential sideways rain. Didnt think much of it till I tried to enter the neighborhood. Large trees down everywhere. Several homes with serious damage as you turn in. We are deeper in. Somewhat anxious but we were untouched. Couple large branches on the roof but none pierced thru.
Untouched? Sure it wasn't a tornado? Sounds bad hope everyone is OK.

Forum List

Back