USMB Coffee Shop IV

I like Galas, and also Pink Lady or Red Delicious for eating. McIntosh was always our "go to" baking apple for pies or puddiings. Tart, but with more flavour than Granny Smith. But I don't often see them any more.

A really easy apple dessert is baked apples, core your apples and set in a baking dish. Mix about a tablespoon of brown sugar, and a 1/4 tsp of cinnamon for each apple in your dish, and a few raisins, if you're inclined. Fill the centres of the apples with the cinnamon sugar mixture, and a couple of tablespoons of water, and bake in a 350 oven for an hour. Let stand for at least 10 minutes before serving with cream, whipped cream, or ice cream.
Or simply top with the syrup which forms at the bottom of the baking dish.

This is a great recipe to make with my grandchildren when we come back from the apple farm, and one of the first things I learned to make when I was little, that I still enjoy.

I like Galas, and also Pink Lady or Red Delicious for eating. McIntosh was always our "go to" baking apple for pies or puddiings. Tart, but with more flavour than Granny Smith. But I don't often see them any more.

A really easy apple dessert is baked apples, core your apples and set in a baking dish. Mix about a tablespoon of brown sugar, and a 1/4 tsp of cinnamon for each apple in your dish, and a few raisins, if you're inclined. Fill the centres of the apples with the cinnamon sugar mixture, and a couple of tablespoons of water, and bake in a 350 oven for an hour. Let stand for at least 10 minutes before serving with cream, whipped cream, or ice cream.

This is a great recipe to make with my grandchildren when we come back from the apple farm, and one of the first things I learned to make when I was little, that I still enjoy.
We like baked apples too, but since the stewed ones only take 10-15 minutes, and we tend to cook after we get hungry and don't want to wait an hour or two, we more often stew them.

I made my third loaf of basic white bread about 4 days ago. Came out even better than the first two even though it's still more dense than the store bought variety. It's really good toasted and I just made a grilled cheese with it, much better tasting than the store bought stuff. Think I'll try the oat bread recipe when this one's gone as oat bread is my favorite and what I primarily bought this for. The oat bread I buy at the grocery store is $4.50 a loaf..........

I made my third loaf of basic white bread about 4 days ago. Came out even better than the first two even though it's still more dense than the store bought variety. It's really good toasted and I just made a grilled cheese with it, much better tasting than the store bought stuff. Think I'll try the oat bread recipe when this one's gone as oat bread is my favorite and what I primarily bought this for. The oat bread I buy at the grocery store is $4.50 a loaf..........

Do you put yeast in it?

Hey, look at what Uncle Sam stuck to my forehead
GR2X.png

Hey, look at what Uncle Sam stuck to my forehead
View attachment 720547
Brick Gold one of the hard fast principles of the Coffee Shop is no politics please. There are just too few people on both sides who are able to discuss politics or religious theology or any such controversial topics without it becoming toxic so we just keep it out of here altogether. Thanks for understanding.

All nine of the puppies have both eyes open as of this afternoon. <yea!>

Unfortunately, their mother is such a good mommie, all of them are very plump. And they're cuter than ever. They were walking like crazy people this morning, going all over my study. They seem to have a purpose, but I'm not sure what that is. They make me laugh every 10 mintues. Their mommie is getting 4 meals a day instead of 2 a day because when I upped her to 2, she looked like a skeleton after feeding them. She's such a good mother.

I've been getting over pneumonia this past week, and today is the first day I've been able to breathe freely, and the sore throat is going down. I'm isolating to the house, but I'm ok.
I'm going to miss services again tomorrow morning. Well, I can't sing anyway, and I'm not about to infect any of my fellow choirmembers in case it's contagious. I got pneumonia after visiting a friend in the hospital last week who was fighting for their life with penumonia. I usually distance others when shopping, but I didn't realize how infectious the disease is. Don't worry, my homeopathic books were well used, and I had gotten some good stuff from Cloud nine to break up colds a couple of months back, and it prevented me from having to take a chance on antibiotics after 4 days. The cinnamon-ginger-cardamon oatmeal with raisins dealt the pneumonia a farewell ticket to obscurity. I could feel it working before I finished it off. It's all I could eat that day, but the next morning I felt charged after several days of dragging around. Take care and distance, especially if you're visiting a sick friend in the hospital! :huddle: Big hug for all, and good night. :sleep: And don't let the bedbugs bite!

I regularly make a LOT of bread. Lately Sourdough...It takes all day to rise but it's really good.

The general type you want is oatmeal Pullman loaves. It requires a specific pan with a lid but....it's really soft.
Pullman loaves are still denser than store bought loaves but immensely better tasting and no preservatives.
Just be sure to let it completely cool before slicing it or putting it in a bag and don't let it cool inside the pan either.

I regularly make a LOT of bread. Lately Sourdough...It takes all day to rise but it's really good.

The general type you want is oatmeal Pullman loaves. It requires a specific pan with a lid but....it's really soft.
Pullman loaves are still denser than store bought loaves but immensely better tasting and no preservatives.
Just be sure to let it completely cool before slicing it or putting it in a bag and don't let it cool inside the pan either.
Not something I'll be doing anytime soon but thanks for the tip.

The McIntosh didn't hold up as well for me in pies as my favorite pie apple which is the Fujis. McIntosh was great in smoothies though, but like you, I haven't seen any for sale in ages. Fujis are great in fruit salads too and because they're so large, they make great baked apples.

So.......now it’s my turn. After worrying about my daughter, now I’ve got it.

A shock diagnosis of breast cancer, yesterday morning. The mammogram didn’t pick it up, but an ultrasound and biopsy did.

I feel so well, never thought it would happen to me. Am travelling to the US next week, and will start some form of treatment early next year, in Germany.

So.......now it’s my turn. After worrying about my daughter, now I’ve got it.

A shock diagnosis of breast cancer, yesterday morning. The mammogram didn’t pick it up, but an ultrasound and biopsy did.

I feel so well, never thought it would happen to me. Am travelling to the US next week, and will start some form of treatment early next year, in Germany.
Mindful, prayers up for you and your daughter. I look forward to the day when you are completely free of any sign of your disease. You are loved by all of us here at the Coffee Shop. :huddle:

Forum List

Back