USMB Coffee Shop IV

It's "that time of year again".

Yes. And this year it's worse.

LOTS of people are going to be heading for the food banks because they can't afford food anymore.
It's pay rent OR eat, not both.

If you can donate as much as possible, that would be AWESOME!! Clothes, food, toys, toiletries, diapers, baby formula, etc....
Even bags of pet food and cat litter.

Most food banks are usually loaded with canned veggies of all sorts.

Donate a few flats of canned chili, or SPAM, canned fruit, fresh bread, pizza kits, and if you are so inclined..........a couple crates of frozen turkeys.
Baby food is also appreciated.

Different food banks give out differen things, so check around to see who can use what you have in the way of clothes, appliances (mixers, can openers, etc...), blankets, and all that.

If you know of any elderly people in your area, check in on them and see if they have any needs you might can help with.

If you are so inclined to donate your personal time on Thanksgiving and Christmas, places like Meals On Wheels and Santas Helpers ALWAYS need extra help!!!

1667872645023.png

1667872663073.png

1667872708522.png

1667872832484.png

1667872791169.png

LOTS of people are going to be heading for the food banks because they can't afford food anymore.

If you can donate as much as possible, that would be AWESOME!! Clothes, food, toys, toiletries, diapers, baby formula, etc....

Donate a few flats of canned chili, or SPAM, canned fruit, fresh bread, pizza kits, and if you are so inclined..........a couple crates of frozen turkeys.

Different food banks give out differen things, so check around to see who can use what you have in the way of clothes, appliances (mixers, can openers, etc...), blankets, and all that.

If you know of any elderly people in your area, check in on them and see if they have any needs you might can help with.

If you are so inclined to donate your personal time on Thanksgiving and Christmas, places like Meals On Wheels and Santas Helpers ALWAYS need extra help!!!

View attachment 722353
View attachment 722355
View attachment 722356
View attachment 722359
View attachment 722357
Good advice. Our city food bank reports they're having trouble keeping food on their shelves as folks who never needed them before are showing up for help.

Welcome to the Coffee Shop Baron Von Murderpaws. We're happy you found us. Please read over the OP to see what we're all about in here and keep right on joining in.

First timers to the Coffee Shop receive a complimentary beverage:

Sangria is popular in New Mexico for the holidays or special occasions:
1667929782536.png

Welcome to the Coffee Shop Baron Von Murderpaws. We're happy you found us. Please read over the OP to see what we're all about in here and keep right on joining in.

First timers to the Coffee Shop receive a complimentary beverage:

Sangria is popular in New Mexico for the holidays or special occasions:
View attachment 722658

I'm not a first timer. Thats my new "name". My old "name" was Toffeenut Baconsmuggler.
;)

Finally I got a loaf right. The biggest mistake I was making was not sifting the flour, this is why my loaves were dense. This basic white bread recipe I'm using calls for the yeast to be added with the warm liquid and sugar, wait 10 minutes for the yeast to foam then add the fat, flour and salt. I also used lard instead of vegetable oil, loaf is light and fluffy. I also used all purpose flour so had to add 1.5 Tbsps of vital wheat gluten.
I think I'll try this method with the oat bread, see if that works any better.

View attachment 722353
View attachment 722355
View attachment 722356
View attachment 722359
View attachment 722357
Welcome to the Coffee Shop, Baron! :coffee:

Yesterday, one of the puppies walked up to my desk and bit me on the toe! That changed everything. They were born on Oct 17, over 3 weeks ago. Miss Songie was being a little reluctant around the same time, and I guess it's time to wean the little creatures, so yesterday, I found 9 little low bowlies, put a couple of tablespoons of canned chow plus a couple of tablespoons of Half & Half to help Miss Songie wean them. She was looking red around the risings, so hopefully they will be weaned without too much crying. They really took to the vittles last night, and I need to do some more today, soon as the dishwasher completes its cycle and produces the 9 clean bowlies.

Happy 247th birthday to all Marines who may or may not be dropping by!

1668092751428.png

And a grateful thanks to all who have served or are serving right now.​

Finally I got a loaf right. The biggest mistake I was making was not sifting the flour, this is why my loaves were dense. This basic white bread recipe I'm using calls for the yeast to be added with the warm liquid and sugar, wait 10 minutes for the yeast to foam then add the fat, flour and salt. I also used lard instead of vegetable oil, loaf is light and fluffy. I also used all purpose flour so had to add 1.5 Tbsps of vital wheat gluten.
I think I'll try this method with the oat bread, see if that works any better.
Sounds like you're getting it down. I would probably have put on 10 pounds with access to all that fresh baked bread though. However, I guess if you're not eating store bought bread. . .

Yesterday, one of the puppies walked up to my desk and bit me on the toe! That changed everything. They were born on Oct 17, over 3 weeks ago. Miss Songie was being a little reluctant around the same time, and I guess it's time to wean the little creatures, so yesterday, I found 9 little low bowlies, put a couple of tablespoons of canned chow plus a couple of tablespoons of Half & Half to help Miss Songie wean them. She was looking red around the risings, so hopefully they will be weaned without too much crying. They really took to the vittles last night, and I need to do some more today, soon as the dishwasher completes its cycle and produces the 9 clean bowlies.

Happy 247th birthday to all Marines who may or may not be dropping by!

View attachment 723612

And a grateful thanks to all who have served or are serving right now.​
Hats off to the Marines. . .

But I'm wondering Beautress. Do you plan to keep all nine puppies? Or will there be new forever homes for all of them? We never had problem finding homes for our mixed breed kittens or puppies. We always quickly sold the purebred Siamese.

Hats off to the Marines. . .

But I'm wondering Beautress. Do you plan to keep all nine puppies? Or will there be new forever homes for all of them? We never had problem finding homes for our mixed breed kittens or puppies. We always quickly sold the purebred Siamese.
Not going to keep all of them. I may keep one of them. They're such terribly cute little rascals.

I mentioned before that one of sister in laws has ALS, seems she nearly died a few days ago but they brought they back from the brink. She's back today under home hospice care so I'm sure it won't be much longer. He's her 24/7 primary care giver and I pray for her easy passing and his rapid healing from the grief that is coming.

I mentioned before that one of sister in laws has ALS, seems she nearly died a few days ago but they brought they back from the brink. She's back today under home hospice care so I'm sure it won't be much longer. He's her 24/7 primary care giver and I pray for her easy passing and his rapid healing from the grief that is coming.
So sorry. Hombre's nephew--the second of his twin sister's three children, her only daughter and the oldest died of COVID last year--has been diagnosed with ALS. Such a cruel disease that quickly incapacitates its victims while leaving their minds intact. His came on so suddenly and has progressed so rapidly I don't think he will live a lot longer. His sister is devastated of course with two terrible tragedies, especially so close together. I'll put both him and your sister-in-law and families on the Vigil List.

I like Galas, and also Pink Lady or Red Delicious for eating. McIntosh was always our "go to" baking apple for pies or puddiings. Tart, but with more flavour than Granny Smith. But I don't often see them any more.

A really easy apple dessert is baked apples, core your apples and set in a baking dish. Mix about a tablespoon of brown sugar, and a 1/4 tsp of cinnamon for each apple in your dish, and a few raisins, if you're inclined. Fill the centres of the apples with the cinnamon sugar mixture, and a couple of tablespoons of water, and bake in a 350 oven for an hour. Let stand for at least 10 minutes before serving with cream, whipped cream, or ice cream.
Or simply top with the syrup which forms at the bottom of the baking dish.

This is a great recipe to make with my grandchildren when we come back from the apple farm, and one of the first things I learned to make when I was little, that I still enjoy.

Pink Lady is my favorite. I sometimes slice one up and have it with Harvarti with Dill for dinner. Yum!

Last edited:

Forum List

Back