USMB Coffee Shop IV

Danny Kaye. Loved him too. Way back then, people knew how to behave and be decent. Funny without hurting someone. Movie stars were not celebs like nowadays..they were STARS. The celebs now are tacky, crude and trailor trash.
Alan Alda was around Hollywood for years playing a character that was as unlike his real life as could be. They say the stage ladiesman and sudsaholic on screen left Hollyweird the minute filming was done for the week to be a regular husband and father to wife and children back east somewhere in New England. Few actors can make that claim although there are a few others who never forgot their family when their actor roles were done. Angelina Jolie's famous father comes to mind....Jon Voight.

Last edited:
Received a call from the Assisted living home where (Pre-Covid) I would volunteer my time and ceramic supplies and teach a class every two weeks. They are inviting me to once again start teaching, and of course volunteering. Looks like I'll start again in June....
Lucky ceramic students!
:thup:

I have a question for you though, SFC Ollie. It seems some porcelain products are used to make coffee cups that have cool handles when you remove them from a microwave oven. Can a ceramics kiln and the right mold produce cool handles with the right kind of clay? I guess that sounds like a stupid question, but back when my mother's best friend and she made ceramics there was no such thing as a microwave oven.
The trick is in the initial pouring. When the excess slip is removed from a cup mold the mold should be laid on it's side so the handle becomes solid.

jeep-web.jpg

How's everyone doing? I'm doing well. Had the stitches out yesterday and still working on getting strength back in my hand, going to be a longer haul than I first envisioned. Decided to wait on having the left hand done as it's really not bothering me lately. Other than that I'm waiting to get back to getting my projects done that have been on hold for a few weeks.
May the 4th be with you!!

Danny Kaye. Loved him too. Way back then, people knew how to behave and be decent. Funny without hurting someone. Movie stars were not celebs like nowadays..they were STARS. The celebs now are tacky, crude and trailor trash.
Alan Alda was around Hollywood for years playing a character that was as unlike his real life as could be. They say the stage ladiesman and sudsaholic on screen left Hollyweird the minute filming was done for the week to be a regular husband and father to wife and children back east somewhere in New England. Few actors can make that claim although there are a few others who never forgot their family when their actor roles were done. Angelina Jolie's famous father comes to mind....Jon Voight.
I love many of the roles Alan Alda played but do not count him as a great actor. Whatever role he played he was just himself doing a different role, but still as himself.

IMO, among truly great actors are Jon Voight, who you mentioned, Charleston Heston, Sean Connery, Michael Caine, Maggie Smith, Jessica Tandy, Judi Dench, George C. Scott, and many others. These all have a gift in that they so become the characters that they represent that I forget who they are in real life, good or bad, and just see the character. That to me is great acting.

My granddaughter Laylah was awarded Summa Cum Laude at her high school with a 4.94 GPA.
She also has received a full ride scholarship to attend the University of Florida, which is the top state university and the hardest to get into.
Yea, I'm bragging, but I can't help it. ... :cool:
Wow! I would brag too. Congratulations to you and to you and her mother as you no doubt contributed at least something to that. :)

Thanks for posting some rather beautiful photographs, Miketx. Top drawer lovely!
Thank you. I took them all myself. I'll put some more out when I get back to the other computer.
Wow! My hubby has been an avocational professional photographer, not as a career but still doing professional portraits, weddings and such, and I've had some professional training myself and I can say with authority and some experience that those are good. Well composed and framed. You're very good.

Received a call from the Assisted living home where (Pre-Covid) I would volunteer my time and ceramic supplies and teach a class every two weeks. They are inviting me to once again start teaching, and of course volunteering. Looks like I'll start again in June....
I loved doing ceramics long ago. I really envy that you get to do them now and especially share the gift with others.

Thanks for posting some rather beautiful photographs, Miketx. Top drawer lovely!
Thank you. I took them all myself. I'll put some more out when I get back to the other computer.
Wow! My hubby has been an avocational professional photographer, not as a career but still doing professional portraits, weddings and such, and I've had some professional training myself and I can say with authority and some experience that those are good. Well composed and framed. You're very good.
Thank you.

How's everyone doing? I'm doing well. Had the stitches out yesterday and still working on getting strength back in my hand, going to be a longer haul than I first envisioned. Decided to wait on having the left hand done as it's really not bothering me lately. Other than that I'm waiting to get back to getting my projects done that have been on hold for a few weeks.
May the 4th be with you!!
I think about you often and wonder how you're doing. And yes, we all reach a certain age where we and some body parts don't bounce back like they used to. But glad to hear you're doing well.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back