USMB Coffee Shop IV

Winter is trying to hang on up nort' here, could see a little rain, sleet or snow. Actually they're seeing quite a bit of snow south of us. Hopefully it's winter's last gasp. It's supposed to be a lot warmer than it is for the middle of April. People are looking to start planting gardens pretty quick.
I feel your pain. By the time our soggy-from-rain garden plots are ready and need to be re-tilled, here comes another ample deluge.

Hi all, just got home from the VA, carpel tunnel outpatient surgery on my right wrist. It went well. Have a huge dressing that has to stay in place for five days then they remove the sutures in two weeks.
Prayers up for healing that stops the pain and blesses you with a complete restoration to good wrists and hands that work right.

Wow... dead in here... :(
Oh, sorry 007. My asthma seems to be on steroids among other things. Things are going to be better as the weather improves. I see a little sun shining through the window, and the migratory birds are headed north and blessing us here in the piney woods region by singing praises to the bluebonnets, buttercups, and red fire Indian blankets lacing the highways and backroads alike with beauty that is so awesome this time of year. Hope good weather comes your way as spring unfolds her loveliness up north.

Disclaimer: I am not an anti-vaxxer and I dutifully wear my mask wherever required, requested, and/or where others will be uncomfortable if I don't.

But I'll have to say our trip this past week was an eye opener. All across Texas, Oklahoma, and Arkansas store and restaurant personnel all wore masks but did not request or require their customers wear masks and most did not. All the stores were open and thriving, restaurants were bustling, churches are full, and life had pretty much returned to normal. And COVID numbers in those states are no worse and even better than those here in New Mexico that is still mostly locked down, occupancy restrictions, masks mandatory everywhere, etc.

We were really happy to get home, but it was also depressing to see the closed up small businesses, restaurants struggling with occupancy restrictions, etc. We have lost a cousin and almost lost a nephew and a best friend to COVID and several others of friends/family have been severely beat up by this ugly virus. I don't want people to get stupid or careless. But it sure will be nice to return to a normal life again too. I hope it is soon.

And I would add to that. . .pretty much everybody who has ever eaten a carrot and/or drinks the water won't make it out alive either. Pretty depressing. :)

1619052017325.png

Double crochet and chain stitches are all I am using on the unfinished dishrag covering a pink plastic canister holding a light sage green ball of size 10 crochet thread that only has 4 more rows to go and a little lace edge if I want to go to all that trouble. It is only 8 inches square now, but it will be a cheerful companion to swan down the kitchen counters in the near future. Just yakking to put anyone still up this late to sleep. Love to all for good health and safety throughout your dear lives. Hope good things happen to you this and every week and may each of us get to have a summer vacation in one of America's beautiful National Parks. I'd rather see Big Bend National Park for the first time this summer. I bet it's prettiest in the spring, but too much is going on right now with chickens to feed and fences to mend and paint out front where careless drivers hit after driving off the side of the long but narrow road outside with ditches that direct seasonal rains into ravines that drain to bayous that drain to rivers that drain into the Gulf of Mexico. Not sure whether our system drains into the San Jacinto or the Trinity River... The Sam Houston Piney Woods forest is not far from here but it covers a lot of ground. It hosts hundreds of birds of every feather and many of them stop by here at Freedom Lake for refreshment on their migratory flights from the northern shores of Alaska and the Hudson Bay to Chili South America and all points in between. Hope this post helped someone fall asleep and get a good night's rest. :huddle: Best of everything always to all. ♡♡♡♡♡

ASked a customer of mine who had been missing for some time if he had been on vacation. Said he got the vax and a week later had the Wuhan. Still looked a little rough.

Last edited:
Wow... dead in here... :(
Oh, sorry 007. My asthma seems to be on steroids among other things. Things are going to be better as the weather improves. I see a little sun shining through the window, and the migratory birds are headed north and blessing us here in the piney woods region by singing praises to the bluebonnets, buttercups, and red fire Indian blankets lacing the highways and backroads alike with beauty that is so awesome this time of year. Hope good weather comes your way as spring unfolds her loveliness up north.

I was going to make a joke about "asthma on steriods", since I am currently on pulmacort for my asthma, hoping that I don't have to move on up to prednisone. The tree pollen count here is right off the charts, I'm waking up covered in hives. On a positive note, this week's blizzard cleaned the pollen from the air and gave me a couple of days relief.

Winter is trying to hang on up nort' here, could see a little rain, sleet or snow. Actually they're seeing quite a bit of snow south of us. Hopefully it's winter's last gasp. It's supposed to be a lot warmer than it is for the middle of April. People are looking to start planting gardens pretty quick.
I feel your pain. By the time our soggy-from-rain garden plots are ready and need to be re-tilled, here comes another ample deluge.

It's the opposite up here. The farmers were out plowing the fields two weeks ago, and dust was rising from the furrows. Usually the fields are still ponding at the lows spots this time of year and are way too wet to get the tractors onto the land. That's not good. We had almost no snow here and this area of the province is "Foodland Ontario". The spring run off provides the deep moisture the crops need to germinate and grow.

I was over at my friend's house yesterday and her garden is already cleaned up, and she's been turning the soil. This is a full month early. The May 24th holiday weekend here is traditionally "planting weekend" for gardeners. Up until this week's blizzard, we'd be ready to plant this week.

My friend bought some black earth and triple mix to work in and a new rototiller to do it with, but she's got a kid coming in to do the heavy work. She's 81, widowed, lives alone and a year ago was having radiation for cancer. She has a large 1960's era bungalow with a finished basement, garage, and a large securely fenced yard with southern and western exposures. And she does nearly all of her own work. She also drove herself to and from the radiation treatments. Powerhouse doesn't begin to describe this woman. She is a blessing in my life.

She refinanced her home last year to undertake major renovations and updating to get her through the rest of her life - new windows all through. Painting the whole main floor and breezeway. And converting the sunroom from a storage room, to a cozy space to read a book, with a futon so she can sleep there in the summer air, and not in the air conditioned house. I'm making the new lined drapes and sheers for the massive 1960's picture window. I'll post pictures when we're finished.

She's teaching me how to grow pot from seeds. And how to raise plants from seeds, instead of buying greenhouse stock from the nursery. She's growing my pot for me - we're allowed 4 plants each, because I don't have a secure yard, and hers is protected by alarms and video cameras. The guys who tried to steal her pot last year ended up in jail as a result of that video camera. I doubt they'll be back again this year, although one never knows. These guys aren't the brightest.

Her dining room is now full of seedlings: lots of pot, tomatoes, green peppers, and marigolds, and other bedding plants for the flower beds. In addition to my pot, and her pot, she's also growing for her sister, and her neighbor with MS. They're just about ready to go into the ground.

Today is vaccine day for me!!!! Time to shower!

ASked a customer of mine who had been missing for some time if he had been on vacation. Said he got the vax and a week later had the Wuhan. Still looked a little rough.

It takes 2 weeks for the vaccine to be effective. Crap, would I be pissed if that happens to me.

I got the vax today - Pfizer!!!!! My arm was a little sore. My appointment for my second shot is July 24th. My friends reported various reactions. Hopefully I will continue to feel this good.

The staff were checking eligibility of everyone waiting in line outside. When I gave my age, she said "You should have been done weeks ago!". I said to her "No one called me. I waited 2 weeks and then booked online". I know I have two weeks before any protection kicks in, and won't have full protection until I get the second shot but, I'm definitely relieved tonight that the wait is over.

I bought a cheater chicken for a quick and easy dinner today and tomorrow, in the event I'm feeling poorly from the vaccine, but so far, so good.

It takes 2 weeks for the vaccine to be effective. Crap, would I be pissed if that happens to me.

I got the vax today - Pfizer!!!!! My arm was a little sore. My appointment for my second shot is July 24th. My friends reported various reactions. Hopefully I will continue to feel this good.

The staff were checking eligibility of everyone waiting in line outside. When I gave my age, she said "You should have been done weeks ago!". I said to her "No one called me. I waited 2 weeks and then booked online". I know I have two weeks before any protection kicks in, and won't have full protection until I get the second shot but, I'm definitely relieved tonight that the wait is over.

I bought a cheater chicken for a quick and easy dinner today and tomorrow, in the event I'm feeling poorly from the vaccine, but so far, so good.

Hombre and I got our second shots Friday morning. Definitely more reaction than we got from the first shot--his arm a little sore, mine quite sore, but not excruciating. Both of us had chills & felt like we were running low grade fever yesterday, but acetaminophen (generic Tylenol) helped a lot. Nothing dramatic or alarming. Today, arms less sore but still tender. Feeling a little tired but much better than yesterday. I'm glad it is behind us.

Again I respect the choice of those who don't get the vaccine, but for us it was a calculated risk as we have frequent contact with so many in the extremely high risk group and would feel terrible if we put them at any higher risk than necessary.

We got the Moderna vax. Our 42 opponents for years now are both in the extremely high risk group and had essentially no side effects from the vaccine. Nor did my 94 year old aunt. Her next door neighbor and our good friend reported some minor chills and body aches the second day but nothing serious. Our niece in Arkansas had had the virus and got quite ill from the shot for a day or two, but again nothing really alarming. Different folks. Different reactions.

Nomination for the official tat of the CS:

View attachment 483853

Works for me but really people, don't put that on your leg. :)

I'm not a fan of tatoos. They are mostly displayed by hipster posers these days...and the tramps stamps of the 90s are now saggy granny stamps.

Some comedian a few years ago made the comment that when these women get old, those butterflies on their breasts are going to look more like condor. I wanted a tattoo when I was younger. Janice Joplin's bracelet of flowers was appealing. But I couldn't get past the idea that you can never change your mind about it. Everyone I know with tattoos has gotten them covered up, removed or changed.

Almost no symptoms at all from the vaccine. My arm feels like someone punched it, and my coffee tasted funny this morning. I had a bit of a stuffy nose and took a Claritin for that, but the pollen readings are off the charts again, so it's hard to know if that was a side effect or just my usual allergies. In any case the Claritin dried everything up and even my arm isn't as sore as it was when I woke up.

I had some concerns going in because I am so reactive to drugs, but I've had worse reactions to flu shots. To be on the safe side and I made no real plans to do anything today, and I'm just puttering around the house. My 2 favourite non-Canadian tennis players are playing in the final of the Barcelona Open, so that's been my fun for this morning.

View attachment 483853

I'm not a fan of tatoos. They are mostly displayed by hipster posers these days...and the tramps stamps of the 90s are now saggy granny stamps.

Some comedian a few years ago made the comment that when these women get old, those butterflies on their breasts are going to look more like condor. I wanted a tattoo when I was younger. Janice Joplin's bracelet of flowers was appealing. But I couldn't get past the idea that you can never change your mind about it. Everyone I know with tattoos has gotten them covered up, removed or changed.

Almost no symptoms at all from the vaccine. My arm feels like someone punched it, and my coffee tasted funny this morning. I had a bit of a stuffy nose and took a Claritin for that, but the pollen readings are off the charts again, so it's hard to know if that was a side effect or just my usual allergies. In any case the Claritin dried everything up and even my arm isn't as sore as it was when I woke up.

I had some concerns going in because I am so reactive to drugs, but I've had worse reactions to flu shots. To be on the safe side and I made no real plans to do anything today, and I'm just puttering around the house. My 2 favourite non-Canadian tennis players are playing in the final of the Barcelona Open, so that's been my fun for this morning.

I can see getting a temporary tattoo for certain occasions, but nothing permanent!

I'm glad your vaccines went well. I'm waiting to see the results of the NIH's allergy research before I get one. The risk of anaphylactic shock is worse for me than getting Covid.

View attachment 483853

I can see getting a temporary tattoo for certain occasions, but nothing permanent!

I'm glad your vaccines went well. I'm waiting to see the results of the NIH's allergy research before I get one. The risk of anaphylactic shock is worse for me than getting Covid.

Yes I respect the choices people make on this whatever that is. But I've talked with many dozen friends, relatives, neighbors, associates now who have gotten one or both shots and only two could say they really got ill and that was short lived and never extreme.

Forum List

Back