USMB Coffee Shop IV

While I'm thinking about. There is one more shopping day until New Year's Day when 2020 will be forever blessedly in our rear view mirrors. But there is an old southern legend that black-eyed peas bring a year of good fortune upon those who consume them on New Year's Day. We don't want another 2020. So just in case. . .

View attachment 435276
Mom, being only half Scottish by the grace of her mother, insists on pork and sauerkraut as New Year's fare. The Big Hose would reek of that casserole bubbling on the stove while Pop, my brother and I would dismantle Christmas decor and sneak peeks at The Ohio State University Men's football team as they triumphed in living color in Pasadena, California.

Uncle Alex (pronounced "Elec", his bride Aunt Helen, Grandpa and Grandma would stop by offering short bread cookies and side dishes of creamed corn as a pretext to sample the pork. Uncle Alex would nod to his brother, my Grandpa, and a wry smile would cross Pop's lips.

The men would then retire to the front parlor where Alex would produce a flak filled with single malt scotch. They would clap each other on the shoulders as they toasted in the New Year.

When I returned home from college, degree framed and hanging in the living room, I was finally invited into that most exclusive club. New Year's Day 1979, I was Bar Mitzvahed as a grown member of the family.

And the Big House still stunk of pork and sauerkraut. But it tasted better than ever before.

While I'm thinking about. There is one more shopping day until New Year's Day when 2020 will be forever blessedly in our rear view mirrors. But there is an old southern legend that black-eyed peas bring a year of good fortune upon those who consume them on New Year's Day. We don't want another 2020. So just in case. . .

View attachment 435276
Mom, being only half Scottish by the grace of her mother, insists on pork and sauerkraut as New Year's fare. The Big Hose would reek of that casserole bubbling on the stove while Pop, my brother and I would dismantle Christmas decor and sneak peeks at The Ohio State University Men's football team as they triumphed in living color in Pasadena, California.

Uncle Alex (pronounced "Elec", his bride Aunt Helen, Grandpa and Grandma would stop by offering short bread cookies and side dishes of creamed corn as a pretext to sample the pork. Uncle Alex would nod to his brother, my Grandpa, and a wry smile would cross Pop's lips.

The men would then retire to the front parlor where Alex would produce a flak filled with single malt scotch. They would clap each other on the shoulders as they toasted in the New Year.

When I returned home from college, degree framed and hanging in the living room, I was finally invited into that most exclusive club. New Year's Day 1979, I was Bar Mitzvahed as a grown member of the family.

And the Big House still stunk of pork and sauerkraut. But it tasted better than ever before.

Being bar mitzvahed in a Calvinist tradition and serving pork and sauerkraut conjures up some very strange images. :)

View attachment 435276

Being bar mitzvahed in a Calvinist tradition and serving pork and sauerkraut conjures up some very strange images. :)
I wish we were ethnic!

Good morning! We made it! The bitter end of 2020! It's now time to anticipate to brand new decade we are about to embark in and wave goodbye to the tradgic era we're leaving behind. This could be the best of times on our threshold.

I'm optimistic.

A vaccine to deliver us from the evil of isolation. New leadership to demonstrate what mature, thoughtful and respectful behavior can do for a free people, the inevitability of Spring and summer and the simple joys they bring.

Let's light a candle in memorial gro those lost and provide us light to see our way clear to the future.

I mistakenly hit the underline function, and this morning I'm not nimble enough to undo it. C'est LeGuerre!

One of our muzzleloading members posted this on the other forum, thought I'd share..........

real-friend.jpg

I'm getting to be quite the driver of this wheel chair! I can turn it on a dime, maneuver my way through the inexplicatively, for a nursing facility, bathroom door and take a long, considered look at the other two walls of my room.

Today I charmed my nurse into letting me sit outside for several minutes. It is way too cold and dreary to sit in a sunbeam and feel the warmth and light on my face. Instead, a gentle December rain pelted the canvas awning over the patio beside the main nurse's station. But the air was crisp and moist and served my lungs well. It is rather stuffy inside.

I watched a flock of birds fly around in an aerial ballet. I saw some traffic on the road to the north. I watched the staff schlep plastic bags of waste to the bank of dumpsters. And it was wonderful.

This is still the upper Ohio River valley, not Boca Raton. Here winters are easy to predict. Cloudy with a 40% chance of rain or snow, temperatures in the 30s. But any change from laying prone and inhaling the breezes from a forced air HVAC system is a welcome change.

And now we in the Eastern time zone face the final hour of the year. The staff passed out cone-shaped party hats and noise makers for a pre-emotive New Year celebration at noon. Just another accommodation we must make to this wretched year now gone by.

Soon the staff will be in my room with that Hoer sling lift to put me back in the bed. Let's see what tomorrow and the new year, the new decade brings.

As I said, any change is a good change, even if we have to sort through it to find the silver lining.

Happy New Year everyone! Just look at how things have changed.

It's 9 minutes before midnight in New Mexico as I write this, and I am loving how many of our Coffee Shop friends have stopped by the Coffee Shop in this the holiday season. Nobody knows what the New Year will bring, but with love and laughter and people who care, we'll get through it.

HAPPY NEW YEAR ALL!

1609484033127.png
1609485939247.png

Last edited:
I'm sorry I didn't stop in. I went to bed and missed all the hoopla because seeing Wuhan celebrating and Times Square empty just bummed me out.

Yes, lets all celebrate a new year and FOUR MORE YEARS.

I know, I know. But if one can do it...so can I.

Thanks for not being angry with me, Foxfyre. I come here to escape...not read what I read up there ^.

Anyway...going to bed. Love ya. :smiliehug:

Just imagine how sweet life will be without the bitterness of isolation. We can't imagine the joy that awaits us once we can gather and embrace and sing together.

It will be like biting into a perfectly ripened peach, the sweet juices running down our wrist as we go to a restaurant, a concert, a gathering of the clans. To smell the savory smoke off a campfire or share a strawberry shortcake with the youngsters or stroll through a park, stopping with friends to say hello.

I, like all of you, can't wait. But to enjoy those simple, sweet pleasures again, we have to endure some bitterness. Keeping each other safe by the minimal act of wearing a face mask. Keeping each other safe by keeping our distance. The economy is resilient. Just as after other crisises, it will recover. But losing someone is permanent. Forever gone. Let's endure the darkness together so, when the lights come back on, more of us will be here to bask in the warmth.

Keep the faith and everything, I promise you, will be better for it.

Good night darlinks. I really do love you guys. May the Coffee Shop always be a virtual family for those who need or enjoy one here. Meanwhile we pray or send positive vibes or keep vigil for:

Harper, the inspiration for the vigil list.
Pogo’s friend Pat and special comfort for Pogo,
Kat for wellness
JustAnotherNut for wellness
Mindful and healing for her shoulder.
Good results for Nosmo King 's step nephew dealing with difficult surgeries.
Beautress for wellness.
Corazon for wellness.
Ringel, Peach, Gracie, everybody dealing with depression and adjustment.
Mindful's daughter diagnosed with cancer.
Ollie's brother recovering from major surgery.
Nosmo King for healing and health
Montrovant & his household for healing and health

And we keep the light on so others who have been away can find their way back and we hope they do.

1609575634208.png

Thanks for not being angry with me, Foxfyre. I come here to escape...not read what I read up there ^.

For heavens sake Gracie. There's nothing to be angry about. Everybody has lives, diversions, responsibilities, problems, struggles, worries, etc. that are far more important than the Coffee Shop on any given day. Nobody posts every day. Not even me. It was just fun hearing from old friends who aren't here often but did stop by to say hi. ((hugs))

For heavens sake Gracie. There's nothing to be angry about. Everybody has lives, diversions, responsibilities, problems, struggles, worries, etc. that are far more important than the Coffee Shop on any given day. Nobody posts every day. Not even me. It was just fun hearing from old friends who aren't here often but did stop by to say hi. ((hugs))
Thats not what I meant. What I meant was my comment of 4 More Years and you not being angry about it. And...dayum. You sure told me!

Two dog owners are arguing about whose pet is smarter.

“My dog is so smart,” says the first owner, “that every morning he goes to the store and buys me a sesame seed bagel with chive cream cheese, stops off at Starbucks and picks me up a mocha latte, and then comes home and turns on ESPN, all before I get out of bed.”

“I know,” says the second owner.

“How do you know?” the first asks.

“My dog told me.”

Forum List

Back