USMB Coffee Shop IV

1609689801627.png

You know what they say about submariners don't you?

140 men get on the boat. The boat leaves port on patrol for ten months. The boat returns to port. 70 couples get off the boat.

All due respect for submariners. They are the Navy personnel I have the most experience with, more than any other branch of the services. I lived in New London on a project for more than two years. Hats off to you brave, but pasty guys!

Just imagine how sweet life will be without the bitterness of isolation. We can't imagine the joy that awaits us once we can gather and embrace and sing together.

It will be like biting into a perfectly ripened peach, the sweet juices running down our wrist as we go to a restaurant, a concert, a gathering of the clans. To smell the savory smoke off a campfire or share a strawberry shortcake with the youngsters or stroll through a park, stopping with friends to say hello.

I, like all of you, can't wait. But to enjoy those simple, sweet pleasures again, we have to endure some bitterness. Keeping each other safe by the minimal act of wearing a face mask. Keeping each other safe by keeping our distance. The economy is resilient. Just as after other crisises, it will recover. But losing someone is permanent. Forever gone. Let's endure the darkness together so, when the lights come back on, more of us will be here to bask in the warmth.

Keep the faith and everything, I promise you, will be better for it.
I come to the CS to get away from the PSAs that inundate the airwaves and the net.

Belated Happy New Year, y'all. It's just busy, busy here.
I've been taking down almost a whole extra shift overtime at work. We're in full-swing wintertime, too. -18 at my place when I left for work last night! These temps are supposed to hold out until mid-week so I'm considering doing inside work this weekend. You know it's cold when you look forward to the mid-20s!

Way back on Black Friday I bought myself a gift on Amazon. A jet black t shirt withe the famous line sketch of Alfred Hitchcock. Just a few gluttonous curves suggesting the profile of the great storyteller and director.

Well, it came yesterday. Following my morning bed bath where I get hosed, mopped, scrubbed, powdered and creamed, they slid my new shirt over my shoulders.

They just brought me back from getting my first dose of coronavirus vaccine. I've been waiting for this day, as we all have, since Easter.

They wheeled me into the room where the shots were administered. Proudly, I asked some of the 20 something staff how they liked my shirt. I got blank stares in return. "Who do you think it is?" I asked.

Again, blank stares.

The elderly, truly sad people, were all non-communicative and barely aware of what was going on and why.

I am now in a unique cubbyhole. People who are old, yet lucid. Aged, yet engaging. Disabled, yet yearning to be active.

I miss my friends more each day. People who relate and are not placating as a default position.

Just imagine how sweet life will be without the bitterness of isolation. We can't imagine the joy that awaits us once we can gather and embrace and sing together.

It will be like biting into a perfectly ripened peach, the sweet juices running down our wrist as we go to a restaurant, a concert, a gathering of the clans. To smell the savory smoke off a campfire or share a strawberry shortcake with the youngsters or stroll through a park, stopping with friends to say hello.

I, like all of you, can't wait. But to enjoy those simple, sweet pleasures again, we have to endure some bitterness. Keeping each other safe by the minimal act of wearing a face mask. Keeping each other safe by keeping our distance. The economy is resilient. Just as after other crisises, it will recover. But losing someone is permanent. Forever gone. Let's endure the darkness together so, when the lights come back on, more of us will be here to bask in the warmth.

I come to the CS to get away from the PSAs that inundate the airwaves and the net.
Did you regard my post as a public service announcement? It's just part of the thoughts flooding off my mind.

I've been isolated since before Christmas with a sever MERSA cinfection that threatens my left foot. Soon I may have to make the call if the Ankle bone can still be connected to the shin bone.

I've seen only strangers, all masked, all wearing face shields. No family for the holidays. No sumptuous holiday feasting. I'm NOT seeking pity or sympathy. But I know I will be cited as a cautionary tale.

This medical exile has given me a greater appreciation for the common, everyday pleasures of life.

I want everyone to understand that Joni Mitchell was right as she sang, "Don't it always seem to go that you don't know what you've lost til it's gone."

Endure the bitter so you can really savor the sweet.

CS is supposed to be a place to share, but not politics or partisan beliefs or talking about crap we come here to get away from. If it starts, it won't stop. I don't wear a fucking mask and I resent the push to do it. Anywhere. In real life and in forums such as this one.

I have a shitload on my mind too, but I know what to share..and what NOT to share that is "flooding my mind".

Belated Happy New Year, y'all. It's just busy, busy here.
I've been taking down almost a whole extra shift overtime at work. We're in full-swing wintertime, too. -18 at my place when I left for work last night! These temps are supposed to hold out until mid-week so I'm considering doing inside work this weekend. You know it's cold when you look forward to the mid-20s!
Kinda cold here..in the 50's. LOWER 50's. Usually I don't bother with a coat but lately I have been wearing one. Been trying to keep myself occupied. Did a bit of painting on a dresser. Working on an end table but am taking a break, so here I am. For the moment.

Did you regard my post as a public service announcement? It's just part of the thoughts flooding off my mind.

I've been isolated since before Christmas with a sever MERSA cinfection that threatens my left foot. Soon I may have to make the call if the Ankle bone can still be connected to the shin bone.

I've seen only strangers, all masked, all wearing face shields. No family for the holidays. No sumptuous holiday feasting. I'm NOT seeking pity or sympathy. But I know I will be cited as a cautionary tale.

This medical exile has given me a greater appreciation for the common, everyday pleasures of life.

I want everyone to understand that Joni Mitchell was right as she sang, "Don't it always seem to go that you don't know what you've lost til it's gone."

Naw, he was kidding. :)

This medium is tough sometimes until you really get to know people. Text lacks the benefit of vocal tones or facial expressions and body language that otherwise would inform us. And Joni is right. We so often fail to appreciate what we have until it is gone. But there is always something coming up to appreciate too.

As for masks, Hombre & I wear them knowing that it is appreciated by many we encounter outside the house. We don't wear them at home & advise anyone who comes in that we know that we don't require them. Some choose to keep them on. Some not. We take minimal common sense risks though. The virus is real. We have lost one cousin, almost lost a nephew and almost lost a best friend to it. But depression & despair from forced isolation is real too. Somewhere in there we try for a reasonable middle. We just make sure we are getting a lot of omegas in proper proportions, wash our hands a lot, keep our Vitamin D & C up, and so far so good. Nobody we know who has gotten the vaccine has regretted it. Not available for us yet though.

Last edited:

Y

I was with you up until the lecture about masks and distancing. The sweet sensation of biting in to the peach was really quite poetic. But our economy has been intentionally murdered by our very own government. There have been many, many other viruses over the years. We have an annual bevy of flu viruses they want us to be vaccinated to protect against. Those vaccinations have always been voluntary and optional. People die all the time due to many reasons, illness or accident. As a matter of fact, everyone and everything dies, sooner or later. This latest virus has been politicized and used to terrorize people into compliance with some of the most intrusive and ridiculous restrictions I have ever experienced.
I do hope that you overcome whatever afflicts you and has you interred in a home like you are. It would probably weigh far less heavily on your mind and heart if you were able to receive the attentions and visits from friends and family, maybe even Daisy. Unfortunately, you have been isolated from your life and brain-washed into believing that this is necessary for a number of reasons that are unsupported by common sense and observation. I wish you a quick recovery and do sincerely hope that the bitterness you are feeling finds a healthy outlet.

This medium is tough sometimes until you really get to know people. Text lacks the benefit of vocal tones or facial expressions and body language that otherwise would inform us. And Joni is right. We so often fail to appreciate what we have until it is gone. But there is always something coming up to appreciate too.

As for masks, Hombre & I wear them knowing that it is appreciated by many we encounter outside the house. We don't wear them at home & advise anyone who comes in that we know that we don't require them. Some choose to keep them on. Some not. We take minimal common sense risks though. The virus is real. We have lost one cousin, almost lost a nephew and almost lost a best friend to it. But depression & despair from forced isolation is real too. Somewhere in there we try for a reasonable middle. We just make sure we are getting a lot of omegas in proper proportions, wash our hands a lot, keep our Vitamin D & C up, and so far so good. Nobody we know who has gotten the vaccine has regretted it. Not available for us yet though.
I am happy to live in a place where common sense prevails. Out here, in the Valley, masks are optional most everywhere. Even a lot of employees are only paying lip service to having them available if asked. We also have a much lower incidence of "cases" of covid here than in Anchorage, where the most restrictive sanctions are still in place. (I was shocked when I drove through downtown Anchorage New Year's Eve and the place was deserted), and the highest spike in "cases" is still apparently raging. Seems to me that the places that have the worst, most restrictive requirements are still having the highest number of "cases" than other places. Such anecdotal evidence would indicate that all the masks and distance in the world are not all that helpful.
I took umbrage at NoSmo hawking the same mask-distance stuff that is otherwise inescapable everywhere else. Usually, his ponderings are poetic and entertaining. I like coming here for the non-political/religious flavor and tone of the conversation.
Off my soapbox. I didn't open this can of worms, though.

It's been a good day. Still too cold but at least the single digits have plus signs in front of them.
I decided to take care of some errands today. I needed to go "downtown" to fill up my water containers, tank the Dodge, and fill up a couple of propane containers. I also stopped at the local 24/7 convenience store to find whether I can keep my vehicles parked their and trade out the Kia commuter for the Dodge workhorse, saving money for fuel. While there, I decided to get an order of fish and chips to take home. After making my order, a young lady came in and was interested in trying the cheese sticks but didn't have enough funds to do so. I had them put on my bill. Sometimes it just feels good to do something for someone. She became my best buddy and when she found out I was going to the library, she hooked a ride with me. I enjoyed the company and she enjoyed not having to walk, especially in this cold. I dropped her off at her home and was introduced to her fiance. He's unemployed and would gladly do odd jobs. I told him I couldn't afford to pay much but I might be able to use some help around the place. Normally, I am cautious about accepting help from strangers but I might try these young people for some help. They are Old Believers (offshoot of Russian Orthodox) and my previous experience has been that they are hard-working and honest. They also tend not to be meth-heads.
My cow moose is back. This is the third year she's come around in the time of hard winter. Frankly, I don't really want to feed her through the season, moose eat a LOT! I'll call Fish and Game tomorrow and see if they'll come out to do something about her. She's been going into the goats' pen and hazing them off their feed and I cannot tolerate that.
Tomorrow is supposed to be warmer so I plan on getting outside and taking care of some of the outdoor things that need done.

I am happy to live in a place where common sense prevails. Out here, in the Valley, masks are optional most everywhere. Even a lot of employees are only paying lip service to having them available if asked. We also have a much lower incidence of "cases" of covid here than in Anchorage, where the most restrictive sanctions are still in place. (I was shocked when I drove through downtown Anchorage New Year's Eve and the place was deserted), and the highest spike in "cases" is still apparently raging. Seems to me that the places that have the worst, most restrictive requirements are still having the highest number of "cases" than other places. Such anecdotal evidence would indicate that all the masks and distance in the world are not all that helpful.
I took umbrage at NoSmo hawking the same mask-distance stuff that is otherwise inescapable everywhere else. Usually, his ponderings are poetic and entertaining. I like coming here for the non-political/religious flavor and tone of the conversation.

But GW, you know I love you, but neither did he open any can of worms any more than any of us relating our situation at any given time. Our situations are what they are & Nosmo would absolutely not choose to be in his situation right now. We've all been in situations that we would not choose for ourselves, but it is what it is.

We all have our ups and downs, trials, tribulations, frustrations, disappointments, have our heart torn out, miss how it 'used to be', find joy when we can, and rejoice when things are better. And all our situations are different.

Hombre & I are extra careful because we are the first line of defense as caretakers for two people who are in the extreme high risk category should they contract the virus, and want to be able to interact socially with a third in the high risk group. If it were not for that, we would be making different choices often. But it was really hard not being able to be with most of our loved ones all this year whether for funerals, weddings, birthdays, holidays, or other special occasions. There really are times when there are no good choices. Especially for those of us in states that allow us little or no legal choice.

I can appreciate, even envy, your life 'off the grid'. We enjoyed most of our much more modified 'off the grid' life on the mountain when we lived up there. There we couldn't take for granted that we had reliable light and heat at the flick of a switch or even water when the electricity was out, which happened fairly often during heavy snowstorms up there. So yes, we hauled water, chopped wood, and did all the things we had to do to cope with that. Now I am sooo grateful that we do have reliable heat, water, television, and other comforts at the flick of a switch and would not choose to forego that for the amenities of country life. To say that, however, is in no way a judgment on anybody else who chooses a different lifestyle.

I really do love all you (non gender specific) guys.

But GW, you know I love you, but neither did he open any can of worms any more than any of us relating our situation at any given time. Our situations are what they are & Nosmo would absolutely not choose to be in his situation right now. We've all been in situations that we would not choose for ourselves, but it is what it is.

We all have our ups and downs, trials, tribulations, frustrations, disappointments, have our heart torn out, miss how it 'used to be', find joy when we can, and rejoice when things are better. And all our situations are different.

Hombre & I are extra careful because we are the first line of defense as caretakers for two people who are in the extreme high risk category should they contract the virus, and want to be able to interact socially with a third in the high risk group. If it were not for that, we would be making different choices often. But it was really hard not being able to be with most of our loved ones all this year whether for funerals, weddings, birthdays, holidays, or other special occasions. There really are times when there are no good choices. Especially for those of us in states that allow us little or no legal choice.

I can appreciate, even envy, your life 'off the grid'. We enjoyed most of our much more modified 'off the grid' life on the mountain when we lived up there. There we couldn't take for granted that we had reliable light and heat at the flick of a switch or even water when the electricity was out, which happened fairly often during heavy snowstorms up there. So yes, we hauled water, chopped wood, and did all the things we had to do to cope with that. Now I am sooo grateful that we do have reliable heat, water, television, and other comforts at the flick of a switch and would not choose to forego that for the amenities of country life. To say that, however, is in no way a judgment on anybody else who chooses a different lifestyle.

Nosmo's current situation is definitely not enviable and his recent posts have indicated a sloppiness that can only be attributed to drugs. I would not want to trade places. Perhaps his drugs induced his crossing of lines here. For my part, I am extremely skeptical that the (very real) virus is even vaguely as depicted by the lamestream media. Please don't forget where I work and with whom. We are just not seeing what should be expected if one were to believe the terror we are being fed by the media, and our own government.
As far as masks and so forth are concerned, I understand why people want to believe they help. I suppose what disturbs me far more is the continued or repeated shutdown of portions of our economic engine, especially businesses that tend to be owner-operator and small business oriented. And the fact that our government seems to think that by throwing a small bone, in the form of some "economic stimulus", should be some consolation for the wholesale destruction their policies are generating. So much of what is happening are self-inflicted wounds.
I sure hope Nosmo gets better and can go back to the Pimplebutt and his beloved Daisy soon.

Nosmo's current situation is definitely not enviable and his recent posts have indicated a sloppiness that can only be attributed to drugs. I would not want to trade places. Perhaps his drugs induced his crossing of lines here. For my part, I am extremely skeptical that the (very real) virus is even vaguely as depicted by the lamestream media. Please don't forget where I work and with whom. We are just not seeing what should be expected if one were to believe the terror we are being fed by the media, and our own government.
As far as masks and so forth are concerned, I understand why people want to believe they help. I suppose what disturbs me far more is the continued or repeated shutdown of portions of our economic engine, especially businesses that tend to be owner-operator and small business oriented. And the fact that our government seems to think that by throwing a small bone, in the form of some "economic stimulus", should be some consolation for the wholesale destruction their policies are generating. So much of what is happening are self-inflicted wounds.
I sure hope Nosmo gets better and can go back to the Pimplebutt and his beloved Daisy soon.
I confess that my situation has given me a different perspective. Folks would be foolish if their outlook had not been skewed by a vastly different, and frankly frightening, set of circumstances.

Maybe it's true and the pain killers are speaking my mind. But I feel, for the most part, lucid and aware.

It's not my intent to speak politically here in the Coffee Shop.bi Treasure this thread and our chance to lay our politics on the curb before we come in for a chat and a cup of joe.

But I do recognized that our world is facing a unique peril. The rest of the world recognizes it too. If I advocate keeping each other safe by taking minimal efforts, it doesn't mean that this should concurrently and deliberately cause ancillary harm.

I said the economy, unlike all those who contract this plague, is resilient. If we could come roaring back from the economy of the 30s and the Depression to the economy of Chevy Bel-airs,btransistor radios and Levittown of Ike and Mamie, we surely can come back from this.

The seminal factor happens to be the fragility and miraculousness of human life. I don't think mitigation efforts directly mean permanent economic ruin. But ignoring them could, and too often do, means the permanent loss of our fellow man.

Anyway, sorry to upset the apple cart. We're all smart, responsible adults here. We understand our priorities and the trade offs needed in the short term.

And, with that, I think I'll sleep, perchance to dream of days gone by and brighter days ahead.

I'm dreading it, but I think I might soon need a walker. Not because I can't stand up straight or even walk, but because if I stand or walk TOO LONG, my left foot goes numb, my lower back feels like someone is stabbing it repeatedly and it hurts so damn bad tears begin to form. I HAVE to sit...just for a moment or two. Then stand again until it starts all over again. Literally, this conundrum is a pain my backside.

I don't want a walker...but I also don't want to be homebound either. Maybe I should get a motorized chair. Keep it in the van and only use it when I KNOW I am going to be in any particular store at any given time. Mostly I order online now from Amazon all that I need, but I LOVE going to thrift shops so.....yeah. A cheap used Jazzy or something might suffice.

But not yet. I'll hang on to my own steam for as long as I can.
Thankfully, thrift stores have used furniture. I can plant my ass on one to rest, then move around again. Grocery stores, I can find a place to sit...even if its on a pile of soda pops on display. If I gotta sit to make the pain relent...by golly Imma Gonna Sit!:tongue:

I'm dreading it, but I think I might soon need a walker. Not because I can't stand up straight or even walk, but because if I stand or walk TOO LONG, my left foot goes numb, my lower back feels like someone is stabbing it repeatedly and it hurts so damn bad tears begin to form. I HAVE to sit...just for a moment or two. Then stand again until it starts all over again. Literally, this conundrum is a pain my backside.

I don't want a walker...but I also don't want to be homebound either. Maybe I should get a motorized chair. Keep it in the van and only use it when I KNOW I am going to be in any particular store at any given time. Mostly I order online now from Amazon all that I need, but I LOVE going to thrift shops so.....yeah. A cheap used Jazzy or something might suffice.

But not yet. I'll hang on to my own steam for as long as I can.
Thankfully, thrift stores have used furniture. I can plant my ass on one to rest, then move around again. Grocery stores, I can find a place to sit...even if its on a pile of soda pops on display. If I gotta sit to make the pain relent...by golly Imma Gonna Sit!:tongue:

When I had my major surgery several years ago I thought I would need a walker during rehabilitation for awhile. As it turned out I didn't, but we ordered a small attractive little red walker that folds up easily--4 wheels making it very maneuverable and it includes a seat when you need to sit. Not very expensive. . .at that time under $50 on Amazon...but quite sturdy. I gave it to a friend who needed one. Assembly wasn't difficult.

I don't have any experience with them, but the new taller walkers that encourage you to stand up straight look good on TV but look more difficult to transport maybe? I stood up straight with my 4-wheel walker too as I would use it only for balance rather than to hold myself up.

Forum List

Back