USMB Coffee Shop IV

In 24 hours we went from record heat to record cold. Currently 42 degrees f at our house and the high is only going to be mid to high 40's today. Snow in our northern mountains--heavy snow in Colorado. Got about 1/4 inch rain overnight which was nice but we needed a lot more than that. One more cold day and then back to low 80's for awhile which is normal this time of year and just perfect for us. We don't need much a/c at those temps as the house stays cooler--low to mid 70's as Boedicca said is optimum though she lives in a cooler area than us so doesn't need as warm a temperature to be really comfortable.

As cold as it is outside though I'm surprised it isn't more uncomfortable in the house. We are in winter garb but it isn't uncomfortable for us at least yet.

We went from 95 to 61 - and it is still dark outside at 10:40am. Very Twilight Zonesque.
It was 21c Thatā€™s 70f to you perfect for us Brits but very humid.... and I donā€™t like humid

I loathe humidity as well as high heat, which is why I still live in the SF Bay Area.

In 24 hours we went from record heat to record cold. Currently 42 degrees f at our house and the high is only going to be mid to high 40's today. Snow in our northern mountains--heavy snow in Colorado. Got about 1/4 inch rain overnight which was nice but we needed a lot more than that. One more cold day and then back to low 80's for awhile which is normal this time of year and just perfect for us. We don't need much a/c at those temps as the house stays cooler--low to mid 70's as Boedicca said is optimum though she lives in a cooler area than us so doesn't need as warm a temperature to be really comfortable.

As cold as it is outside though I'm surprised it isn't more uncomfortable in the house. We are in winter garb but it isn't uncomfortable for us at least yet.

We went from 95 to 61 - and it is still dark outside at 10:40am. Very Twilight Zonesque.
It was 21c Thatā€™s 70f to you perfect for us Brits but very humid.... and I donā€™t like humid

I loathe humidity as well as high heat, which is why I still live in the SF Bay Area.
Donā€™t come visit me in Florida! :lol:

I've been to Florida. It was bloody hot!

And now I've decided that I am a Martian. The sky is orange. This is what it would be like on Mars if they had air. Hence, I am a Martian.

And now I've decided that I am a Martian. The sky is orange. This is what it would be like on Mars if they had air. Hence, I am a Martian.

In 1982 the QE2 that Iā€™d been working on brought me to Fort Lauderdale, an air conditioned taxi brought us to a small shopping area, we shopped for sneakers, sunglasses, suntan oil, and cigarettes, typical man stuff on tour.
Noticing if was bloody hot my friends and I made manly grunts indicating we had to get out of the bloody heat.
We made it to a bar that catered for the sailor type. It even had a hot dog burger stall inside whereupon free hot stuff was made available to us.... unheard of... only in America.
The barmaids made us feel at home, we stayed in the bar until late... very late. I enjoyed Fort Lauderdale.

I am so far behind but felt a need to check in and say "hi!". I'm around but busier than a one-legged guy in a but kicking contest, trying to get stuff done before my hip replacement next week. The barn roof is still not done and I have to anchor the new stove pipe in place, among many, many other projects not done. I've also been informed that I will be provided in-home therapy for at least the first two weeks, so I have to get the house acceptable clean. Crap, so much to do, no time left!!! I will have plenty of time starting next week. I suppose y'all will get sick of me in short order.

Sky here is a muddy brown, not orange. Sickly looking. Not as hot but still close to triple digits. Breeze and wind yesterday...our cars and walkways and driveways and roads are all covered with ash since the wind is blowing north/south and sometimes south/north. I saw the orange skies on the news. Paradise is on evac orders too, due to a fire in Oroville and Bear Mountain. Like, NOT AGAIN!!! Alas, they are on standby, whomever is left up there. Mostly still clean up crews and about 5k people. There are many MANY trees still there that did not burn...so it could go up at any time too.

Personally, I think a bunch of these fires in Cali, Oregon and Washington are being set by antifa and blm.

In short...there is no place to escape to. Cali is surrounded by fire. At least at the coast, they can all head to the ocean. Sand can burn, but it takes a lot of heat. And the ocean is accessible even if you have to wade out there. Those with no water sources like lakes and whatnot...I feel bad for them. Where I am, there is a very large lake. If push came to shove, that is where I would head along with everyone else I presume. Or some will try to drive out. At least here, we have more than 2 ways out. But even then...where CAN we go being surrounded?

Pray for a big rainstorm without lightening.

Hate to post more bad news but as I've stated before it would be a miracle if Gizmo lived past ten years old. It looks like complications from the FeLV and FIV will finally do it. Took him to the vet yesterday and we're trying some meds but they don't appear to be helping. The vet called earlier and recommended euthanasia if he doesn't improve in the next couple of days. Poor little guy.
Poor you! How much grief must a man endure?

In 1982 the QE2 that Iā€™d been working on brought me to Fort Lauderdale, an air conditioned taxi brought us to a small shopping area, we shopped for sneakers, sunglasses, suntan oil, and cigarettes, typical man stuff on tour.
Noticing if was bloody hot my friends and I made manly grunts indicating we had to get out of the bloody heat.
We made it to a bar that catered for the sailor type. It even had a hot dog burger stall inside whereupon free hot stuff was made available to us.... unheard of... only in America.
The barmaids made us feel at home, we stayed in the bar until late... very late. I enjoyed Fort Lauderdale.

Sounds great. But Albuquerque is not at all like Fort Lauderdale. :)

I am so far behind but felt a need to check in and say "hi!". I'm around but busier than a one-legged guy in a but kicking contest, trying to get stuff done before my hip replacement next week. The barn roof is still not done and I have to anchor the new stove pipe in place, among many, many other projects not done. I've also been informed that I will be provided in-home therapy for at least the first two weeks, so I have to get the house acceptable clean. Crap, so much to do, no time left!!! I will have plenty of time starting next week. I suppose y'all will get sick of me in short order.

Looking forward to it. Takes a huge heap of time to get sick of GW. :)

I've lived where it could be 90+F and near 100% humdity at midnight in Kansas. And where the humidity could drop below 5% in West Texas--trust me, it is not pleasant when it gets that way. Albuquerque has been just right for us--humidity is rarely high but doesn't bottom out either and we don't normally get extreme cold (minus 0f) or extreme heat (100+f)

Mon Ami, Donā€™t complain too much here in France the grass has become straw, we havenā€™t had rain since the dawn of time.
We would like to have the rainy climate of the English , Sometimes at least .

Mon Ami, Donā€™t complain too much here in France the grass has become straw, we havenā€™t had rain since the dawn of time.
I'd gladly send you some of our rain. My place is a big, muddy mess. It won't stop raining now until it starts snowing...

Well, one super nice thing out of this whole "sky-is-falling" virus mess, my brothers and sisters and I are now communicating almost daily on our family "chat". Most of us have now booked a trip to Germany together in Oct 2022. If the world doesn't end before then, we will have a lot of fun travelling together, some of us revisiting our old stomping grounds and some experiencing Europe for the first time. Most interesting will be my sister-in-law traveling with the group. Generally, she wants nothing to do with us, we're too wild and crazy for her taste and we drag my brother down to our level of lewd, crude, and laughing.

Yesterday afternoon around 5pm we had a couple of minutes light rain, cleared the air and cooled it down a tad, it will soon be getting darker here, the Autumn Equinox 2020 in Northern Hemisphere will be at 14:30 on
Tuesday, 22 September so weather wise itā€™s about to change.

Well, one super nice thing out of this whole "sky-is-falling" virus mess, my brothers and sisters and I are now communicating almost daily on our family "chat". Most of us have now booked a trip to Germany together in Oct 2022. If the world doesn't end before then, we will have a lot of fun travelling together, some of us revisiting our old stomping grounds and some experiencing Europe for the first time. Most interesting will be my sister-in-law traveling with the group. Generally, she wants nothing to do with us, we're too wild and crazy for her taste and we drag my brother down to our level of lewd, crude, and laughing.
Germany is a great country to visit, Napoleon upended the city states powers and set in motion a unification that made a country.
What part are you intending to visit?

Got a message last night that the power was fixed, they got a message from me saying it wasnā€™t. And still no power this morning. Looks like they finally brought in outside contractors to help. Yak is, doing this on the cellphone is a pain...... Iā€™m keeping the phone charged using my truck, bet it looks funny me sitting in my drive not going anywhere with the truck running.

Got a message last night that the power was fixed, they got a message from me saying it wasnā€™t. And still no power this morning. Looks like they finally brought in outside contractors to help. Yak is, doing this on the cellphone is a pain...... Iā€™m keeping the phone charged using my truck, bet it looks funny me sitting in my drive not going anywhere with the truck running.
Damn autocorrect, yak is supposed to be ya know.

Donā€™t know about you Fox but weā€™ve been without power now since yesterday at 4pm. Trying this on my cell phone. I keep getting PNM alerts constantly pushing the repair completion back. The last eat one said 5am tomorrow.........

Holy cow. No, we haven't had any power outages in this area that I know of. That's not acceptable though. Have they said what caused the black out?

Edit: Hombre said it was the high winds with this rare cold front that we're dealing with this week.

Last edited:

New Topics

Forum List

Back