Using "Mental Illness" as a cop-out for Mass shootings

This writer from Salon hits it spot on.

It s not about mental illness The big lie that always follows mass shootings by white males - Salon.com

“The real issue is mental illness” is a goddamn cop-out. I almost never hear it from actual mental health professionals, or advocates working in the mental health sphere, or anyone who actually has any kind of informed opinion on mental health or serious policy proposals for how to improve our treatment of the mentally ill in this country.

What I hear from people who bleat on about “The real issue is mental illness,” when pressed for specific suggestions on how to deal with said “real issue,” is terrifying nonsense designed to throw the mentally ill under the bus. Elliot Rodger’s parents should’ve been able to force risperidone down his throat. Seung-Hui Cho should’ve been forcibly institutionalized. Anyone with a mental illness diagnosis should surrender all of their constitutional rights, right now, rather than at all compromise the right to bear arms of self-declared sane people.

What’s interesting is to watch who the mentally ill people are being thrown under the bus to defend. In the wake of Sandy Hook, the NRA tells us that creating a national registry of firearms owners would be giving the government dangerously unchecked tyrannical power, but a national registry of the mentally ill would not — even though a “sane” person holding a gun is intrinsically more dangerous than a “crazy” person, no matter how crazy, without a gun.

Now, here's the thing. The sad state of our mental health system is a bipartisan issue. From Republicans who don't want to pay for outpatient programs or hospitals, to ACLU types who make it next to impossible to institutionalize a crazy person against his will.

But the main problem is, we always find out AFTER these people have gotten a gun and killed a bunch of people that they were crazy.

How about, just for the hell of it, we actually prevent crazy people from getting guns before they kill a bunch of people?

Isn't that it's a cop-out as in being mentally ill excuses it (think we should execute offenders regardless,) but the act of murder is in and of itself not the act of a sane individual. You're gonna get caught, or be hunted the rest of your life, so commiting murder is not the act of a person thinking clearly.

The problem we have when this sort of thing happens is I think, the victims are dead, today, so why isn't the perpetrator? Why once we catch them does it take 15 years or more? Why do some not get executed when their victims are still dead?

In cases like this one in Charlotte where the person's guilt isn't in question, they should be executed by gunshot THAT DAY. Not like they'll have a problem finding eager volunteers, hell I"d smile-kill this SC twat.

Fuck the constitution, take him out back and shoot him!

You stupid fucks amuse me.

Absolutely right, fuck the Constitution. Was written centuries ago with little relevance to today. Didn't have video evidence then so all this nonsense about trials and determining people's guilt is redundant. When guilt isn't in question trials to determine guilt is redundant.

Some Texan you are.

Id love to just call this piece of scum hateful and be don't with it. The truth is he was yet another one on medication.
I really wish there were more laws to protect the mentally ill, family who deal with it, and potentially innocent victims.
I really cant believe his dad gave him a gun knowing his sons problems and the medication he was taking. Sure he could have gotten a gun somewhere else but what the dad did, just shows total carelessness and lack of responsibility.

It s not about mental illness The big lie that always follows mass shootings by white males - Salon.com

“The real issue is mental illness” is a goddamn cop-out. I almost never hear it from actual mental health professionals, or advocates working in the mental health sphere, or anyone who actually has any kind of informed opinion on mental health or serious policy proposals for how to improve our treatment of the mentally ill in this country.

What I hear from people who bleat on about “The real issue is mental illness,” when pressed for specific suggestions on how to deal with said “real issue,” is terrifying nonsense designed to throw the mentally ill under the bus. Elliot Rodger’s parents should’ve been able to force risperidone down his throat. Seung-Hui Cho should’ve been forcibly institutionalized. Anyone with a mental illness diagnosis should surrender all of their constitutional rights, right now, rather than at all compromise the right to bear arms of self-declared sane people.

What’s interesting is to watch who the mentally ill people are being thrown under the bus to defend. In the wake of Sandy Hook, the NRA tells us that creating a national registry of firearms owners would be giving the government dangerously unchecked tyrannical power, but a national registry of the mentally ill would not — even though a “sane” person holding a gun is intrinsically more dangerous than a “crazy” person, no matter how crazy, without a gun.

Now, here's the thing. The sad state of our mental health system is a bipartisan issue. From Republicans who don't want to pay for outpatient programs or hospitals, to ACLU types who make it next to impossible to institutionalize a crazy person against his will.

But the main problem is, we always find out AFTER these people have gotten a gun and killed a bunch of people that they were crazy.

How about, just for the hell of it, we actually prevent crazy people from getting guns before they kill a bunch of people?

It depends. Some shooters are absolutely insane. Fully on hallucinating schizophrenics. Others are just assholes of epic proportion.

The Columbine fucks? Monsters.

This useless SC fuck? Monster.

That whiny misogenist who hated women because they wouldn't fuck him? A little bitch.

The colorado shooter? Fucking insane. So insane that the court found that he couldn't be tried unless they FORCED him to take meds because he lacked mental competence.

Its not an either or situation.

Okay, no guns for you.

How about "No guns for anyone who doesn't have a damned good reason for having one".

Like every other civilized country does.
Actually, I've posted a thread that shows Mexico has more restrictive gun laws than the US, and three times the murder rate.
The truth about gun control... US Message Board - Political Discussion Forum

Apparently, you shouldn't have a gun because.....
facebook-20150618-114819.png

Isn't that it's a cop-out as in being mentally ill excuses it (think we should execute offenders regardless,) but the act of murder is in and of itself not the act of a sane individual. You're gonna get caught, or be hunted the rest of your life, so commiting murder is not the act of a person thinking clearly.

The problem we have when this sort of thing happens is I think, the victims are dead, today, so why isn't the perpetrator? Why once we catch them does it take 15 years or more? Why do some not get executed when their victims are still dead?

In cases like this one in Charlotte where the person's guilt isn't in question, they should be executed by gunshot THAT DAY. Not like they'll have a problem finding eager volunteers, hell I"d smile-kill this SC twat.

Fuck the constitution, take him out back and shoot him!

You stupid fucks amuse me.

I agree. I could give shit one about his mental health. He murdered nine people.

Barbeque his ass.

Yup especially when you realize if the shooter had been black no one would have said a word other than, "Nine dead. What a shame."

These people are fucking idiots who waste no time showing everyone what idiots they truly are. LOL

Really? Can you name an incident when a black guy shot nine people and no one said anything.

Now, most mass shooters do tend to be White Males, but the only mass shooters who were black I can think of who left a lot of bodies are the DC Sniper (A convicted felon who was able to buy a gun) and the Navy Yard shooter, (who was crazy and still able to buy a gun.)

Actually, I've posted a thread that shows Mexico has more restrictive gun laws than the US, and three times the murder rate.

1) Mexico is not an advanced democracy.
2) Mexico has a "right to bear arms" in their constitution, just like we do.

You might want to check the restrictive laws in Mexico and see if they are just like we have.

You might want to check the restrictive laws in Mexico and see if they are just like we have.

You mean they don't have the same interpretation of "The right to bear arms' that we have?

Our interpretation of that IS insane.

Sadly, we have a gun industry that is pouring thousands of guns into Mexico. Because they are fucking evil.

Whenever a white person mows down a group of people white people dont want to be associated with it so they call the guy "crazy" instead of "criminal" because crazy is an excuse.

Whenever a Muslim person kills ANYONE white people say its all the fault of ISLAM and crazy isnt used unless to say we should kill those crazy fucks

Whenever a black person shoots anyone they are a no good criminal, who wasnt raised right in a bad community with a culture that promotes violence.

It is pretty funny coming from a moron like you. No one defends this guy, and most want him to be executed.....the lefties like you defend the muslim terrorists and the black thugs.....and lie and say we blame all muslims and the rest of your nonsense....

You mean they don't have the same interpretation of "The right to bear arms' that we have?

Our interpretation of that IS insane.

Sadly, we have a gun industry that is pouring thousands of guns into Mexico. Because they are fucking evil.

No, obama and eric holder sent guns into Mexico so they would be used in drug crimes, then morons like you would support their extreme anti gun laws....

It worked.

Last edited:
Id love to just call this piece of scum hateful and be don't with it. The truth is he was yet another one on medication.
I really wish there were more laws to protect the mentally ill, family who deal with it, and potentially innocent victims.
I really cant believe his dad gave him a gun knowing his sons problems and the medication he was taking. Sure he could have gotten a gun somewhere else but what the dad did, just shows total carelessness and lack of responsibility.

It seems that report was untrue. They gave him money for his birthday and he bought the gun on his own...that is where it is at right now.

Yup especially when you realize if the shooter had been black no one would have said a word other than, "Nine dead. What a shame."

These people are fucking idiots who waste no time showing everyone what idiots they truly are. LOL

Really? Can you name an incident when a black guy shot nine people and no one said anything.

Now, most mass shooters do tend to be White Males, but the only mass shooters who were black I can think of who left a lot of bodies are the DC Sniper (A convicted felon who was able to buy a gun) and the Navy Yard shooter, (who was crazy and still able to buy a gun.)

Colin ferguson the Long Island Train shooter.

Mexicos gun laws make their right to bear arms meaningless...which is why their civilians are slaughtered by the drug cartels and their minions in the police and government.

Okay, no guns for you.

How about "No guns for anyone who doesn't have a damned good reason for having one".

Like every other civilized country does.
The truth about gun control... US Message Board - Political Discussion Forum

Apparently, you shouldn't have a gun because.....
View attachment 42801

That is a great image....Frosted Flakes are great.

District of Columbia v Heller made it perfectly clear that regulating (restrictions) firearms is within the Constitution.

What you will never see is a psychological evaluation for gun ownership. You won't see it. Not now and not ever.

Secondly, the mental health crisis is a major deal. It doesn't have to be connected to this one case. The sentence here:
I get really really tired of hearing the phrase “mental illness” thrown around as a way to avoid saying other terms like “toxic masculinity,” “white supremacy,” “misogyny” or “racism.”

indicates a complete disconnect from reality. Nobody is avoiding the term racism or white supremacy unless you have zero access to a tv, the internet, or a radio. In fact, when you hear right wingers use those terms (to show they are all fair and balanced) then you aren't paying attention.

Chu has simply kicked out another worthless commentary that solves nothing.

No prison because everyone is a victim of the drug war. No mental health hospitals for long or life term care because some jack ass has decided that it will destroy rights. FFS, nobody do anything and bitch some more.

I'm not getting your interpretation of "DC vs Heller" .

District of Columbia lost. I realize that they say that the Second can't be interpreted as not unlimited but the Heller case did limit what regulations the government could put in place.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back