US Scientist warn of dire consequences of Climate Change

Jim, you're so lost here I'm not certain where to start. Let's have a look at temperatures in the Arctic last year.

https%3A%2F%2Fblueprint-api-production.s3.amazonaws.com%2Fuploads%2Fcard%2Fimage%2F423159%2F05398d94-97f6-46c1-940b-6c1f935fcf13.jpg

It's currently November 29th. Arctic temperatures on this date last year were in the neighborhood of -12C (10.4F). If a polar vortex formed at this time, there would be plenty of below-freezing air to chill our little mid-western bones. And note that for slightly over two months last summer, the average temperature WAS above freezing and thus ice WOULD have been melting. Arctic ice extents goes in a cyclical oscillation with the seasons, but as the globe's temperatures have risen, the melt period has grown warmer and longer. More ice gets melted over the summer and less gets refrozen during the winter. The result is a descending oscillation headed towards zero coverage in another ten to fifteen years should the current trend continue.. I would suspect from your comments that you were unaware the Arctic had seasons. Surprise, surprise. Perhaps you should have asked your little finger.
But ,. but the ICE CAPS are melting, how can there be any cold up there, after 13 years of warming.... Are you saying that the science has LIED????

I just explained that Jim. In the text directly above here. If you want me to keep responding to you, I suggest you read it.

Jim, this is the PIOMAS graph. PIOMAS is part of the Polar Science Center of the University of Wshington. They take the satellite images and altimetry data and calculate not just the area covered by ice, but its total volume. Very important. Thick ice is more likely to survive the melt season. Thin ice is more likely to melt. Total volume is a much better measure of how the Arctic is holding up to increasing temperatures. So, here you go:

BPIOMASIceVolumeAprSepCurrent.png

Notice there are two lines, a blue one for April and a red one for September. April, historically, is when Arctic ice cover is greatest (after that long winter). September is when it is lowest (after that short summer). If you look at the scale on the left hand side, you will see that it is not an "anomaly" value that one typically sees on graphs of this nature, but absolute volume. When that red line hits zero, it means zero - NO ICE IN THE ARCTIC. Of course, when it first does so, it will be for a very short period, a day or two perhaps. But, as time goes by and warming continues, the iceless period will get longer and longer. Eventually; no time soon, but eventually, that blue line will hit zero - particularly since we have people who think like you in the White House. Then we will have no Arctic ice at all, all year long. That will cause some very dramatic changes to the weather and the ocean on this planet. As we lose that nice shiny white ice and replace it with dark water, the world will start absorbing even more of the sun's light and the Earth's warming rate will increase even further. Sound good? Ask your little fingers what they think about it.
Yet you keep denying that ICE melts at 32 degrees, so after 13 years of constant increase in CO2 and "supposedly" increase in Warming of the Polar Arctic, you just cant face the truth that you have been duped, by consensus science....

Jim, you're so lost here I'm not certain where to start. Let's have a look at temperatures in the Arctic last year.

https%3A%2F%2Fblueprint-api-production.s3.amazonaws.com%2Fuploads%2Fcard%2Fimage%2F423159%2F05398d94-97f6-46c1-940b-6c1f935fcf13.jpg

It's currently November 29th. Arctic temperatures on this date last year were in the neighborhood of -12C (10.4F). If a polar vortex formed at this time, there would be plenty of below-freezing air to chill our little mid-western bones. And note that for slightly over two months last summer, the average temperature WAS above freezing and thus ice WOULD have been melting. Arctic ice extents goes in a cyclical oscillation with the seasons, but as the globe's temperatures have risen, the melt period has grown warmer and longer. More ice gets melted over the summer and less gets refrozen during the winter. The result is a descending oscillation headed towards zero coverage in another ten to fifteen years should the current trend continue.. I would suspect from your comments that you were unaware the Arctic had seasons. Surprise, surprise. Perhaps you should have asked your little finger.

Those RED peaks are still MINUS 15C below freezing.

What was your point here?

But ,. but the ICE CAPS are melting, how can there be any cold up there, after 13 years of warming.... Are you saying that the science has LIED????

I just explained that Jim. In the text directly above here. If you want me to keep responding to you, I suggest you read it.
That must have been one hell of a Rossby wave which put 2000 feet of ice over the area where New York is now. If the supposedly "warm" air in the arctic can do that I would hate to find out what cold arctic air could do.
So where is all that cold air coming from if not from the "warm" arctic. Climatology is fascinating. It can make heat disappear in the ocean never to be found again except on the internet and conjure up a massive amount of frigid air from a warm freezer. Every thing every where is getting hotter, nothing ever cools down even if your car is frozen solid under 6 feet of snow and ice is "evidence" of global warming.

How many times are you going to bring up the last ice age? An ice age we are not currently experiencing. What we are looking at now is global warming and that warming is being caused primarily by human CO2 emissions. If you have anything coherent and relevant to say about that, I'd love to hear it. But rants like your last post aren't even worth the reading.

Forum List

Back