Updating the U.S. Constitution to more appropriately address modern times

According to who? The likes of you? LMAO!
Explain how you are well regulated

I will listen
I know how to shoot. Well regulated.

Who says?
Are you registered with local authorities in case we need to call you up to protect our country?
2A doesn't say I have to register with anyone. You can put out a call at any time. I may or may not join.
The Second Amendment doesn’t ‘say’ anything – as with the rest of the Constitution, the Second Amendment exists solely in the context of its case law, as determined by the Supreme Court, where state laws that require the registration of firearms comport with the Second Amendment, until the Supreme Court rules otherwise.
So Supreme Court justices aren't sworn into office to uphold The Constitution?

According to who? The likes of you? LMAO!
Explain how you are well regulated

I will listen
I know how to shoot. Well regulated.

Who says?
Are you registered with local authorities in case we need to call you up to protect our country?
2A doesn't say I have to register with anyone. You can put out a call at any time. I may or may not join.
The Second Amendment doesn’t ‘say’ anything – as with the rest of the Constitution, the Second Amendment exists solely in the context of its case law, as determined by the Supreme Court, where state laws that require the registration of firearms comport with the Second Amendment, until the Supreme Court rules otherwise.
That's obvious bullshit. If it were true, then why even bother with the Constitution? You just said the words on the document are irrelevant.

You make these vapid statements because you lack the capacity to commit logic. You can't see that your arguments lead you down a logical block hole from which there is no return.

The second and third amendments should be dropped they are no longer relevant

Since we don't have militias anymore, there is no need for a second amendment. Leave gun laws to the states

Nobody has housed military in private homes in 200 years

Both are obsolete and archaic
IOW, the OP is another one of your sock accounts.

Nice.
Show me your neighborhood well regulated militia and you can keep your second amendment

Otherwise....let states regulate guns
They do it now
You don't get to decide which Amendments we observe, cockroach.
You hate state rights
You don't get to decide which Amendments we observe, cockroach.

Right or wrong the Founders authorized the Supreme Court to interpret and update if you will the greatest document ever created, the U.S. Constitution. So far in the mid 20th century to modern times the left has done pretty well by the Supremes. FDR appointed a former KKK member to the Court and Justice Black rewarded the president by writing the majority opinion authorizing the incarceration of (Japanese) American citizens without due process. Later Justice Black rewrote the 1st Amendment by creating the modern version of "separation of church and state" which had no basis in Constitutional law. Still later the liberal Court found a concept of "privacy" that had no basis in Constitutional law to authorize the murder of the unborn.

No, they most certainly did not. In fact, Thomas Jefferson warned against the folly of allowing the courts to usurp that power. He wrote the following in 1820.

You seem to consider the federal judges as the ultimate arbiters of all constitutional questions, a very dangerous doctrine, indeed, and one which would place us under the despotism of an oligarchy. Our judges are as honest as other men, and not more so. They have with others the same passions for the party, for power and the privilege of the corps. Their power is the more dangerous, as they are in office for life and not responsible, as the other functionaries are, to the elective control. The Constitution has erected no such single tribunal, knowing that to whatever hands confided, with the corruptions of time and party, its members would become despots. It has more wisely made all departments co-equal and co-sovereign within themselves.

Since we don't have militias anymore, there is no need for a second amendment. Leave gun laws to the states

It amazes me how few people there are who get the point of the Third Amendment.

When the Bill of Rights was written, electronics had not yet been invented. No microphones, no telephones to tap, no hidden cameras or other technological means to spy or eavesdrop. If a government wanted to spy on an individual, there was only one way to do it, and that was to put a live human being in a position to see and hear what the subject of this spying was up to. The Third Amendment was never about providing housing for soldiers; it's about allowing government to put agents in people's homes, to spy on them. I say that it is fully applicable to modern technological means of spying on the people.

I'd update it to be more like Germanies or frances constitution. Our constitution is too old and isn't defined enough.

1st amendment would include phones, computers and set limits on violent speech.
2nd Amendment would be defined to allow guns to all citizens! yes, I am pro gun. Tanks and military stuff would be excluded.
3-5th would be strengthen.
Maybe include an independent body for elections

The federal government would have it clearly spelled out that they can invest in infrastructure, science and education of our people. This is the way every other nation works.

It was never the point of this country to be like every other country in the world.

Show me your neighborhood well regulated militia and you can keep your second amendment

Otherwise....let states regulate guns
They do it now

It doesn't work that way.

Amend the Constitution, to repeal the Second Amendment, and you can take it away. Until then, it remains in effect, as part of this nation's' highest law; and every act on the part of states or on the part of the federal government to interfere with the right which it affirms is an act of lawlessness, corruption, and criminality.

lol, we need to update the Constitution to reinforce the conservatives' reverence for States' Rights.

For example, we need to allow the individual states the power to regulate guns according to their own preferences,
without interference from the tyrannical central government in Washington. Eh?

lol, we need to update the Constitution to reinforce the conservatives' reverence for States' Rights.

No need to “update” it. We just need for it to be obeyed, as it is written. The main body enumerates the powers that the federal government has, and the Tenth Amendment clarifies that any powers not delegated to the federal government, it does not have and cannot legitimately act on.

For example, we need to allow the individual states the power to regulate guns according to their own preferences, without interference from the tyrannical central government in Washington. Eh?

The Tenth Amendment speaks of powers belonging to the federal government, powers belonging to the states, and powers belonging to the people. It's primary point was to clarify that the federal government was not to usurp powers not explicitly delegated thereto; that any powers not so delegated belong to the states or to the people.

The Second Amendment is clear about to whom the right belongs which it addresses. It says nothing about any right of the federal government. It says nothing about any right of the states. What it addresses is a right of the people. Neither the federal government nor the states have any legitimate power to interfere with this right. The Second Amendment explicitly forbids this right from being infringed.

We need to bring the United States Constitution up to date to make it more relevant to the modern world.

In particular, the Bill of Rights, especially the 1st, 2nd, and 4th Amendments need to be made more compatible with the modern world.

Here is how I would word them:

1st:
Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of a religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of the press. The right of the people peaceably to assemble and disseminate speech that is not hateful or threatening shall not be infringed. The right of oppressed peoples to petition the Government for a redress of grievances shall not be infringed.

2nd:
A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the military and law enforcement to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed. The right of private citizens to own firearms designated by the government to be appropriate for antique and/or sporting purposes only shall not be infringed.

4th:
The right of the people who have not been proven to belong to a hateful, discriminatory group or a group that is in ideological opposition to the government to be secure in their persons, houses, papers, and effects,[a] against unreasonable searches and seizures, shall not be violated, and no Warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by Oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized.

After the midterms and we consolidate our power then we can proceed to bring about the change needed in America....first of all democracy or what we referred to as a democracy...ya know the republic...has failed...America can no longer operate under such a dysfunctional system that caters to the worse elements of our society for one....many other problems....and to fix them we are going to have to get real radical but in order to do that Our Great Leader must declare martial law, and then some real progress can be made...so much so...we will be called the New Progressives.....the party that is actually making progress....such as enact a new sedition law....jail all those who would burn the flag or disrespect our Great Leader etc.etc. and.....................most especially negotiate a treaty with Liberia to make them willing to accept Africans now in America who want to return to the mother-land...just as Lincoln envisioned it....might require some incentives but it would be well worth it. But before we can rectify all the domestic problems the democrats and their running dogs have inflicted on this once great nation...we must solve the foreign threats aka N. Korea and Iran. No problem there.......a suprise attack on both countries at the same time with tactical nukes...so many that neither country would be able to retaliate. Using tactical nuclear weapons so there would be no radioactive fall out.

Oh so many things we will be able to do when we consolidate our power...I am sure some of you have some good ideas on that.

True Democracy HAS NEVER WORKED. On the other hand, our representational republic is the longest lasting form of government in the last thousand years.

Why the hell should we change it?

We need to bring the United States Constitution up to date to make it more relevant to the modern world.

In particular, the Bill of Rights, especially the 1st, 2nd, and 4th Amendments need to be made more compatible with the modern world.

Here is how I would word them:

1st:
Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of a religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of the press. The right of the people peaceably to assemble and disseminate speech that is not hateful or threatening shall not be infringed. The right of oppressed peoples to petition the Government for a redress of grievances shall not be infringed.

2nd:
A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the military and law enforcement to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed. The right of private citizens to own firearms designated by the government to be appropriate for antique and/or sporting purposes only shall not be infringed.

4th:
The right of the people who have not been proven to belong to a hateful, discriminatory group or a group that is in ideological opposition to the government to be secure in their persons, houses, papers, and effects,[a] against unreasonable searches and seizures, shall not be violated, and no Warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by Oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized.

Send us a postcard.

Have a wonderful trip.

And yes...

:fu:

Since we don't have militias anymore, there is no need for a second amendment.
United States militia groups
Militia group name State, county or locale
3 Percenters nationwide
Arizona Border Recon Arizona, Sasabe
Fraternal Order of the Alt-Knights nationwide
Hutaree Michigan, southern
Idaho Light Foot Militia Idaho, statewide
Michigan Militia Michigan, Redford
Militia of Montana Montana, Noxon
Missouri Citizen Militia Missouri, statewide
Missouri Militia Missouri, Kansas City
New York Light Foot Militia New York, statewide
Oath Keepers nationwide
Ohio Defense Force Ohio, statewide
Pennsylvania Military Reserve Pennsylvania
Texas Light Foot Militia Texas, statewide

The Southern Poverty Law Center identified 334 militia groups at their peak in 2011. It identified 276 in 2015, up from 202 in 2014

so much for that....
Sweet!

So if you don't belong to one of those well regulated militias you have no need of a gun

It amazes me how few people there are who get the point of the Third Amendment.

When the Bill of Rights was written, electronics had not yet been invented. No microphones, no telephones to tap, no hidden cameras or other technological means to spy or eavesdrop. If a government wanted to spy on an individual, there was only one way to do it, and that was to put a live human being in a position to see and hear what the subject of this spying was up to. The Third Amendment was never about providing housing for soldiers; it's about allowing government to put agents in people's homes, to spy on them. I say that it is fully applicable to modern technological means of spying on the people.

Damn the Third Ammendment!

Any loyal American should be willing to house our brave soldiers

Forum List

Back