Unpopular Opinion: Conservative Businesses Should Fire Woke Employees

This opinion is unpopular with both Liberals and Conservatives. Most Liberals believe that they do not hold any views for which they deserve to be punished. The vast majority of Conservatives believe that no one should lose their job for their political beliefs. I am neither Liberal nor Conservative.

In a perfectly just Society, very few people would lose their job for their political beliefs. Only the most extreme views would merit such penalty. Even though USA in the past was far from being perfect, firing people for their political opinions was relatively rare. To the best of my knowledge it was rare even in the first years of this Century.

Unfortunately, in recent years tens of thousands of people have been fired and/or blacklisted for even mildly offending Progressives. In my opinion, Conservative business owners should respond in kind. There are thousands of counties and small towns in which Conservatives are over 70% majority, and hundreds of counties in which they are 80% majority. Amazingly, in a few counties over 90% of people are Conservative. If Liberal supporters of Cancel Culture who live in these towns or counties lose their jobs, they would have a hard time finding other jobs in the same community. That would force them either to reconsider their views and make amends or to relocate to more Liberal urban areas.

Almost all Liberal supporters of Cancel Culture believe that private businesses have a right to fire any employee for their political opinions. They accuse opponents of Cancel Culture of opposing the First Amendment. Thus they would not object to being fired themselves.

Firing Cancel Culture proponents may have other benefits as well. They are likely to try to dictate to their employees how to run their business. For instance, some Amazon employees have been making a scene when Amazon carried books they do not like. The same is true for many bookstores and music stores. Some publishers have been pressured by their employees not to publish books they find offensive.

Cancel Culture proponents are likely to be walking lawsuits. Their Conservative and Independent coworkers have to walk on eggshells in their presence. This hardly benefits the working environment. A working team where all members share most ideas may be more friendly and more productive.

Another benefit of firing Cancel Culture proponents may be in liberation of work places for Conservatives and Independents who have been fired for their beliefs. Conservative business owners should be helping those hurt by Cancel Culture rather then those who support it. Hiring someone fired for his/her opinions may have additional benefits for a business. A cancelled employee is likely to understand that it would be difficult for them to find work elsewhere. Thus they are likely to work diligently rather then to risk losing their job.

I never understood people who air their religion or politics or personal life at work. How stupid can you get?
freedom of expression is a real bitch for liberals to deal with

This opinion is unpopular with both Liberals and Conservatives. Most Liberals believe that they do not hold any views for which they deserve to be punished. The vast majority of Conservatives believe that no one should lose their job for their political beliefs. I am neither Liberal nor Conservative.

In a perfectly just Society, very few people would lose their job for their political beliefs. Only the most extreme views would merit such penalty. Even though USA in the past was far from being perfect, firing people for their political opinions was relatively rare. To the best of my knowledge it was rare even in the first years of this Century.

Unfortunately, in recent years tens of thousands of people have been fired and/or blacklisted for even mildly offending Progressives. In my opinion, Conservative business owners should respond in kind. There are thousands of counties and small towns in which Conservatives are over 70% majority, and hundreds of counties in which they are 80% majority. Amazingly, in a few counties over 90% of people are Conservative. If Liberal supporters of Cancel Culture who live in these towns or counties lose their jobs, they would have a hard time finding other jobs in the same community. That would force them either to reconsider their views and make amends or to relocate to more Liberal urban areas.

Almost all Liberal supporters of Cancel Culture believe that private businesses have a right to fire any employee for their political opinions. They accuse opponents of Cancel Culture of opposing the First Amendment. Thus they would not object to being fired themselves.

Firing Cancel Culture proponents may have other benefits as well. They are likely to try to dictate to their employees how to run their business. For instance, some Amazon employees have been making a scene when Amazon carried books they do not like. The same is true for many bookstores and music stores. Some publishers have been pressured by their employees not to publish books they find offensive.

Cancel Culture proponents are likely to be walking lawsuits. Their Conservative and Independent coworkers have to walk on eggshells in their presence. This hardly benefits the working environment. A working team where all members share most ideas may be more friendly and more productive.

Another benefit of firing Cancel Culture proponents may be in liberation of work places for Conservatives and Independents who have been fired for their beliefs. Conservative business owners should be helping those hurt by Cancel Culture rather then those who support it. Hiring someone fired for his/her opinions may have additional benefits for a business. A cancelled employee is likely to understand that it would be difficult for them to find work elsewhere. Thus they are likely to work diligently rather then to risk losing their job.

I never understood people who air their religion or politics or personal life at work. How stupid can you get?

I agree 100%.

But also if they are found out to be progressive by other means -- like their Social Media posts, they should be fired.

I worked for an employer who only took applications by mail sent to a generic PO Box. He very much screened his applicants for things like African American or Women's Studies type degrees or participation in groups he did not agree with.

I do not believe in sinking to the level of Woke fascism, myself.

Otherwise, what is to separate me from them?

I disagree 100%. Every Conservative Business owner who employs a Progressive supports Progressive Cancel Culture.
It appears that only one of us has values and is not a hypocrite.

You remind me of so many black people who complain about racism while being the biggest racists imaginable.

Whether it’s popular or not is irrelevant.

The fact is that such a notion is wrong, reprehensible, and illegal.

Yet you support it when Conservatives are the target.
he's right ya know.jpg

You remind me of so many black people who complain about racism while being the biggest racists imaginable.
1) My opinion is the following: In an ideal Society, firing people for their political views should be rare. But as long as Progressives are widely practicing this tactic, it is more then fair to respond in kind. I oppose Cancel Culture.

2) I am also a Minority -- Jewish.

The fact is that such a notion is wrong, reprehensible, and illegal.

There is no law that says an employer cannot fire an employee based on their political beliefs.

1. Which federal law(s) make it illegal to retaliate based on an employee's political activity?
Political activity retaliation is not covered by the same laws that prohibit retaliation based on other things. Retaliation by private employers based on race, color, sex, religion, national origin, age, and disability is prohibited. There are also laws protecting against retaliation based on union or concerted activity. These laws don’t protect you from an employer who might fire you because of your political beliefs.​
Most employees of private companies do not have legal protection against discrimination based on political affiliation or activity. A public employer may be prevented from firing someone based on political speech because that would constitute the government itself suppressing free speech.​
The following states ban discrimination based on some form of political activity:​
  • Colorado, North Dakota, and Utah prohibit discrimination based on “lawful conduct outside of work.”
    • Montana is the only state that bars employers from firing people without good cause. Additionally, the good cause must be job-related. Failing to perform job duties satisfactorily is an example.
    • Connecticut prohibits discrimination based on the rights guaranteed by the First Amendment. The state applies the same rules to private employers that are applied to public employers under the First Amendment. For private employers, the activity must not substantially interfere with the employee’s job performance.
    • New York prohibits discrimination for off-duty “recreational activities” such as arguing about politics at a social event.
    • California, Colorado, Guam, Louisiana, Minnesota, Missouri, Nebraska, Nevada, South Carolina, Utah, West Virginia, Seattle (Washington), and Madison (Wisconsin) prohibit employers from retaliating against employees for engaging in “political activities.” It is important to check with your specific state because what activities are defined as political varies between states. For example, in California, courts have held that advocacy of forcible or violent conduct does not qualify as “political” within the terms of the statute.
    • New Mexico prohibits employers from discriminating based on “political opinions.”
    • Washington D.C., Utah, Iowa, Louisiana, Puerto Rico, Virgin Islands, Broward County (Florida) and Urbana (Illinois) prohibit employers from discriminating against employees based on party membership.
    • Illinois, New York, and Washington prohibit employers from discriminating against employees for election-related speech and political activities.
    • Arizona, Washington D.C., Georgia, Iowa, Minnesota, Missouri, Ohio, Oregon, and Washington prohibit employers from discriminating against employees who have signed initiatives, referendums, recalls or candidate petitions. For example, in these states, an employer would not be able to retaliate against someone for signing petitions supporting certain initiatives such as anti-same-sex marriage or same-sex marriage.
    • Louisiana, Massachusetts, and Oregon prohibit discrimination based on contributions to a specific campaign.
Since unions and their members are also very politically active, many standard union contracts include prohibitions on political activity discrimination, and some employers have also chosen to include this type of discrimination among the categories prohibited in their company's anti-discrimination policy disseminated to employees.​
On April 26, 2016, in Heffernan v. City of Paterson, the Third Circuit held that if an employer demotes an employee out of the desire to prevent that employee from engaging in protected political activity, the employee is entitled to challenge that unlawful action under the First Amendment and Section 1983 even if the employer’s actions are based on factual mistake about the employee’s behavior.​
If you live in one of these states or have a union contract, and you have suffered political activity retaliation, you should consult with an attorney or your union to learn more about any protections that may apply to you.​

1) My opinion is the following: In an ideal Society, firing people for their political views should be rare. But as long as Progressives are widely practicing this tactic, it is more then fair to respond in kind. I oppose Cancel Culture.

So, you oppose cancel culture while supporting people indulging in it.

There is a word for that. It starts with hyp and ends in ocritical.

So, you oppose cancel culture while supporting people indulging in it.

I oppose Cancel Culture.

I oppose War, but in case of Aggression, Defense is inevitable. The same with Cancel Culture.

I believe in Freedom, but I will not support Freedom of those who would take my Freedom away.

Liberals want people fired not for what they say at work but what they say in their private lives sometimes years ago. The guy on the Bachelor got tossed because he once dated a girl that went to a plantation wedding. Employees should not have to answer to Employers for anything they do in their private lives.

I agree with most of what you said. However, I am still wondering why it is ANYONE'S business what someone's politics are. To this day..and they are long dead...I have no clue what party, if any, my parents belonged to or voted for. I know they loved JFK, but after that? No clue. I don't think even they told each other what leanings they had. Why? Because it's personal. Same with in the work place. How does your job requirement affect how you lean? Unless you announce it daily? Or bitch at the water cooler so people can assume.

The left wants everything their way. If we start doing the same, it might balance out. Or not.

I agree 100%.

But also if they are found out to be progressive by other means -- like their Social Media posts, they should be fired.
Not at work? Hanging around on social media and speaking your thoughts? What if the biz owner is a conservative tea totaler and they fire the guy for having a martini while chatting?

No.

Jews are NOT a minority. It is a religious faith.

So Joe should have every supervisor in all of the Fedeal Departments ask every employee about their politics and fire any who are not liberal?

Yeah, that's probably a dumb an idea as I've ever heard except for the one listed in the OP.
There is no need to ask them about their political beliefs. Progressives are so vile and hateful they can't but help give themselves away.

However, the entire notion is as anti-American as it gets.

No one should ever be made to pay the price for speech.

There simply is no line.

I worked for an employer who only took applications by mail sent to a generic PO Box. He very much screened his applicants for things like African American or Women's Studies type degrees or participation in groups he did not agree with.
How did you prove that?

Conservative Businesses Should Fire Woke Employees

There should be a ban on people:
  • Connected to Antifa.
  • Connected to BLM.
  • Connected to Democrat-Socialists of America.
  • With active FB and Twitter accounts.
  • With Biden stickers on their car.
  • Who are members of the DNC.
  • Who have NYT, WaPo, CNN or MSNBC accounts.
  • Who support Planned Parenthood.
  • Who CAN'T say Make America Great Again!
  • Who identify with atheism.
  • Who belong to a far left anti-gun org.
  • Who belong to any radical Neo-socialist political orgs.
Let's see how they like it. Taste of their own medicine.

A year ago I would have said no, now I say put all those MFs in the unemployment line. Let them understand the old saying, what goes around comes around.

Forum List

Back