Unpopular Opinion: Conservative Businesses Should Fire Woke Employees

He misrepresented his role in my company to an officer of another company, making promises and assurances he had no business making. He severely strained what had been, up to that time, an excellent relationship with this other company. Of course I fired him and had charges brought against him.

What would you have done?

It sounds to me like you rightfully fired an employee for engaging in almost exactly the sort of dishonest and unethical behavior that Incel Joe defends, and in which he admits himself to engaging.

It's rather telling, his response that seemed to intend to suggest that it is your fault that your employee engaged in such behavior. The idea of one being responsible for one's own behavior seems to be anathema to Incel Joe.

Wow, really? What does that say about you as a manager that your employees would commit grand larceny and then diss you on Glassdoor.

He misrepresented his role in my company to an officer of another company, making promises and assurances he had no business making. He severely strained what had been, up to that time, an excellent relationship with this other company. Of course I fired him and had charges brought against him.

It sounds to me like you rightfully fired an employee for engaging in almost exactly the sort of dishonest and unethical behavior that Incel Joe defends, and in which he admits himself to engaging.

It's rather telling, his response that seemed to intend to suggest that it is your fault that your employee engaged in such behavior. The idea of one being responsible for one's own behavior seems to be anathema to Incel Joe.

Wow, really? What does that say about you as a manager that your employees would commit grand larceny and then diss you on Glassdoor.

Exactly.

Joe's got his head firmly implanted up his ass.

He knows nothing of running a successful business, and he's profoundly jealous of those who do exactly that. He's jealous of those who make more money than him and who are more successful.

He would clearly be the kind of business owner who would allow his employees to run roughshod over him, all the while being a pansy and deferring to their every wish.

My business is successful because I'm fair, firm and honest to a fault. Joe sees those as liabilities.

Joe, of course, is an idiot...

I've had some of the same vendors since the day I opened my doors.

That's because I deal with them honestly, and they deal with me honestly.

You don't even enjoy a passing relationship with "honesty", though, so I won't waste my time explaining how such a relationship is healthy for one's business...

I have a passing relationship with reality.

I had one vendor, did fantastic work for me. But he had a problem. He couldn't hit a delivery date if his life depended on it. We'd put him on a VMI program, and I still had to chase him down. If he knew he was late, he'd intentionally duck my calls. Had to make several trips to his plant to make sure he was using GMP and meeting our requirements. In short, it was a relationship where I knew I had to take his promises with a grain of salt, and had to work on the assumption he was being less than candid.

Without more details, who knows. So was he the janitor and passed himself off as the Executive Vice President? Or was he just a sales rep who thought he had more authority to make promises than he did.

Frankly, this sounds like the kind of relationships a lot of sales reps make. I've never worked at a company where the Sales Reps didn't overpromise to customers and then it's a 3 alarm fire drill in purchasing to get product in on time, because the lead time we fed into the system they considered a "Suggestion".

So he didn't actually engage in "larceny", it sounds like he was just exceeding his authority. I might have fired him, if this was a common thing and not a one-off. I certainly wouldn't have tried to ruin the man's life by bringing criminal charges against him because he said something mean about you on Glassdoor.

That's the thing you fil to understand, dipshit: Those "private conversations" often lead into very "public alterations", and I won't have that in my company...

Again, makes you kind of sound like a control freak. Frankly, I've been in the working world for something like 30 years since I left the Army, I never saw a private conversation turn into a public altercation. At least not related to politics.

No wonder you're a management failure.

A good manager doesn't tell someone what they want to hear. He tells them what they need to hear...

Actually, the two times I was in supervisory positions, I did very well. (That's not counting the Army, where I was repeatedly promoted.)

After a certain point, I stopped seeking supervisory positions because the extra pay wasn't worth the extra headaches.

I don't tear anyone down. I've no need to. Hell, I don't even have to tear you down. You've absolved me of that by admitting to being a liar and dishonest in business.

Actually, you sound like a very insecure little man... Seriously charging a guy with a crime because he made a mistake? Man. I think I owe my ex-boss an apology, he never engaged in THAT level of douchebaggery.

Actually, it's one of reality. As an NCO in the Army, I was responsible for the conduct of every man under my authority. As a supervisor, it was kind of the same thing.

So even though he didn't go into details, it sounds like he had a sales rep who thought he had more authority than he had, or didn't realize he was dealing with a micromanager.

My business is successful because I'm fair, firm and honest to a fault. Joe sees those as liabilities.

Actually, guy, you sound like you'd be horrible to work for... YOu fire people for their private conversations, stick your nose in their personal business, and brought charges against someone for making a mistake that he probably wouldn't have made had you given him proper direction and supervision.

Neither myself or any employer I know will hire or employ anybody who clearly holds a leftist belief system. My companies will not hire dark people, nor will we hire women...For now, we ONLY hire white males who clearly adhere to a conservative belief system. While none of this is in writing, it’s actually talked about quite candidly off record.

For the record, I NEVER advocate discriminating against anyone for their innate characteristics -- ethnicity or gender. I am Jewish -- a minority.

In 2021, almost no Conservative would support discrimination based on Race, Gender, and Religion. This is 100% wrong.

Discrimination based on Totalitarian Leftist Ideology is a totally different story.

I have a passing relationship with reality.

Thank you, I guess, for not insisting you were honest...

I had one vendor, did fantastic work for me. But he had a problem. He couldn't hit a delivery date if his life depended on it. We'd put him on a VMI program, and I still had to chase him down. If he knew he was late, he'd intentionally duck my calls. Had to make several trips to his plant to make sure he was using GMP and meeting our requirements. In short, it was a relationship where I knew I had to take his promises with a grain of salt, and had to work on the assumption he was being less than candid.

I guess my vendors just respect me more. I can't recall the last time I had delivery issues...

Without more details, who knows. So was he the janitor and passed himself off as the Executive Vice President? Or was he just a sales rep who thought he had more authority to make promises than he did.

He didn't think he had the authority, he knew he didn't have it...

Frankly, this sounds like the kind of relationships a lot of sales reps make. I've never worked at a company where the Sales Reps didn't overpromise to customers and then it's a 3 alarm fire drill in purchasing to get product in on time, because the lead time we fed into the system they considered a "Suggestion".

So he didn't actually engage in "larceny", it sounds like he was just exceeding his authority. I might have fired him, if this was a common thing and not a one-off. I certainly wouldn't have tried to ruin the man's life by bringing criminal charges against him because he said something mean about you on Glassdoor.

Nothing was said on Glassdoor.

The guy made promises he had no business making. He was a sales guy who overstepped his bounds. He used his company credit card to buy airline flights, expensive dinners and gifts when he had no business doing so. He was a trusted employee who violated that trust.

Not firing him wasn't an option. Whether that ruined his life is not my concern. He stole from my company and I held him to account...

Again, makes you kind of sound like a control freak. Frankly, I've been in the working world for something like 30 years since I left the Army, I never saw a private conversation turn into a public altercation. At least not related to politics.

I have. Many times, in fact.

When I started my businesses I vowed that I would not allow such things...

Actually, the two times I was in supervisory positions, I did very well. (That's not counting the Army, where I was repeatedly promoted.)

Seeing as there's no evidence of that, AND the fact that you're an admitted liar, there's no reason to believe that...

After a certain point, I stopped seeking supervisory positions because the extra pay wasn't worth the extra headaches.

So, you're lazy, too.

Got it...

Actually, you sound like a very insecure little man... Seriously charging a guy with a crime because he made a mistake? Man. I think I owe my ex-boss an apology, he never engaged in THAT level of douchebaggery.

It wasn't a "mistake" and, not having the details of the incident, it's remarkably stupid for you to characterize it as such. He put my business in jeopardy. Nobody does that. No one. I have no doubt that you'd have allowed it, though, if for no other reason than you're a complete coward and afraid of confrontation.

Being a business leader takes balls, and you lack those...[/QUOTE]

I guess my vendors just respect me more. I can't recall the last time I had delivery issues...

And that might be normal for your industry... some industries I've worked in, 50% of my time is spent expediting.

Nothing was said on Glassdoor.

The guy made promises he had no business making. He was a sales guy who overstepped his bounds. He used his company credit card to buy airline flights, expensive dinners and gifts when he had no business doing so. He was a trusted employee who violated that trust.

Not firing him wasn't an option. Whether that ruined his life is not my concern. He stole from my company and I held him to account...

Okay, this is the third version of the story.... Frankly, this doesn't sound exactly out of the ordinary, lots of sales reps try to bribe buyers with dinners. Airline flights say a bit much.

I know that one time a salesperson offered me Cubs tickets, but I'm not a baseball fan. I did the ethical thing and reported it to my GM. He said I probably should have taken the tickets, but since I put it in a formal email, he had to officially say "no".

Now, if you specifically had a policy of what they could and couldn't put on their expense account, that would be one thing. Honestly, it sounds like he was working very hard to make a sale.

I have. Many times, in fact.

When I started my businesses I vowed that I would not allow such things...

Has it occurred to you that if your employees are taking swings at each other, it's probably because you are creating a high-stress environment?

So, you're lazy, too.

Got it...

Naw, man, I just decided my ego really didn't need to tell other people what to do. I mean, I thought it was teh coolest thing in the world when I was in the Army, I thought those Sergeants really had it made. Then I became a Sergeant and my headaches kind of tripled. Same thing when I was a supervisor when I got out. Had to deal with a whole lot of silly nonsense, and I could make just as much money sitting behind a desk.

It wasn't a "mistake" and, not having the details of the incident, it's remarkably stupid for you to characterize it as such. He put my business in jeopardy. Nobody does that. No one. I have no doubt that you'd have allowed it, though, if for no other reason than you're a complete coward and afraid of confrontation.

Actually, it's kind of hard to have the details when you keep changing a story.

First you said he gave you a negative review because he committed "larceny".

Then you said he damaged a relationship with a customer by making promises he couldn't keep.

then the third version was he was buying people dinners, which is kind of normal in a lot of industries.

Maybe if you were providing clear guidance instead of snooping into the Warehouse guy's personal life, this sort of thing wouldn't happen to you.

Forum List

Back