Unity is dead

Ringel05

Diamond Member
Aug 5, 2009
Duke City
Long live Unity.......... Well at least until 2021.

Mark Shuttleworth, founder of Canonical let it be known that the next release of Ubuntu 18.04 LTS will have GNOME as it's default interface. They are also dropping the Convergence work on developing a desktop type environment for phones and tablets.
I do see some potential issues down the road though, they're moving from MIR to the Wayland display, a drive to replace the current X window system. The problem with that is X permeates the entire graphical aspect of Linux like it's welded to the "Linux DNA", should be interesting, I suspect some definite bugs will take some time to work out of pairing the Wayland system to the GNOME interface.
Now what's interesting from a personal standpoint is when Unity was first introduced (I use the work loosely) it was ugly and buggy, I hated it and like almost half of Ubuntu's users I moved over to Mint.
Years later I decided to give Ubuntu another shot, unfortunately I have come to really like the polished Unity interface over the old GNOME 2 look. Oh well......

Mint is the only Linux version I've used, so luckily this doesn't affect me. :)

Can you continue to use a Unity-based Ubuntu for a while, at least?
Yeah up until 2021 when they stop supporting it. It is the Canonical made interface whether someone else can pick it up or not I don't know but then again Unity may have gone as far as it can. They're basically still using Unity 6, tried Unity 7 with no luck and have had nothing but problems with Unity 8.
They saw Unity as a one size fits all convergent for desktops, laptops, tablets and phones, seven years later the phone/tablet market has not killed the PC market as was originally predicted.
I can log out of Unity and log into GNOME 3 on this computer but I'm assuming that interface may go away also and we'll all be stuck with the old GNOME 2 look like you have with Mint. I do like the KDE Plasma interface but it does have some limitations that I don't really like, I prefer the full featured distros. I tried Fedora, downloaded 3 times and made three different discs but couldn't get it to load on my computer, I think something in every one of the downloads was corrupted and I couldn't figure out what it was.

:finger3: Gnome, Ubuntu, too. :funnyface:

They can cough up tarballz if they want.
Which one do you use?

RHEL-based, with LX - type desktop.
Oh yeah, which CentOS version is it?

None. :funnyface: I do have one with a GNOME desktop, though. This OS is unduplicatable due to the encryption.

When it goes down, gonna have to start from scratch all over again. I don't even remember my root pw.

I swear this is the perfect OS, and I've run..quite a few. If only I could remember root pw.

:finger3: Gnome, Ubuntu, too. :funnyface:

They can cough up tarballz if they want.
Which one do you use?

RHEL-based, with LX - type desktop.
Oh yeah, which CentOS version is it?

None. :funnyface: I do have one with a GNOME desktop, though.
I was looking at Elementary OS, touted as the distro to take over Mint....... Nice, user friendly, somewhat configurable but they named it correctly....... You'd hate it, based off of Ubuntu........ :D
I'll stick with Ubuntu for now maybe get ready by installing MATE which is what they're going back to.

I've been rolling this almost a year. I installed some thing where updates don't require root. :badgrin:

It ain't broke yet, I ain't fixin' it. Everything essential is saved, I could be back up in 30 mins from a secure erase.

Has there been a couple things I couldn't do from not having root? Sure. Yet it does what I need it to do.

Might even try an emulator next time.

YUM is your friend. Maybe you're set in the UNITY ways.

You could find a workaround.
Nah, not set in the Unity ways, just like the way it looks and feels even with it's limited configurability. I'll just go back to MATE which is highly configurable, I like to play with the OS of course on occasion it means I have to redo a clean install...... :lol:

Yeesh, Every install is unique, even with Winders.

This one's been really good.

It's Fedora with LXDE.

I like it simple. Pretty much anything you need is available too, and has more power than Ubuntu.

No tarballz, just Yum it up, see if it's compatible, and install.

I've been rolling this almost a year. I installed some thing where updates don't require root. :badgrin:

It ain't broke yet, I ain't fixin' it. Everything essential is saved, I could be back up in 30 mins from a secure erase.

Has there been a couple things I couldn't do from not having root? Sure. Yet it does what I need it to do.

Hey, like I said if it works for you then more power to ya. When I update, upgrade and install new packages I use terminal. I don't mess around with the file system, I don't code, I don't do anything like that so the very user friendly, full featured distros are what I like.

I swear this is the perfect OS, and I've run..quite a few. If only I could remember root pw.
Reinstall fresh, this time write down the root pw........ :eusa_whistle:

Hey, like I said if it works for you then more power to ya. When I update, upgrade and install new packages I use terminal. I don't mess around with the file system, I don't code, I don't do anything like that so the very user friendly, full featured distros are what I like.

You don't tweak your kernel?

Oy! I'd have to do that again. :uhoh3:

I prefer minimal and I add things.

Yeesh, Every install is unique, even with Winders.

This one's been really good.

It's Fedora with LXDE.

I like it simple. Pretty much anything you need is available too, and has more power than Ubuntu.

No tarballz, just Yum it up, see if it's compatible, and install.
Like I said earlier, I wanted to try Fedora but no matter where I downloaded the ISO from it wouldn't burn correctly, I tried three different mirrors and three different discs.

Reinstall fresh, this time write down the root pw........ :eusa_whistle:

You don't tweak your kernel?

Oy! I'd have to do that again. :uhoh3:

I prefer minimal and I add things.
Nope, don't see any benefit in it for me. :dunno:

Forum List

Back