Understanding white privilege

How about instead of blaming all you woes on Whites, you do something with you life and use your success, money, and influence to help others succeed?. How about instead of blaming the White man for all your problems and pushing for special treatment, you get back to the dream of King and do away with Affirmative Action and your Afrocentric bullshit and start helping to work towards true equality? Just what the hell do you think you're going to achieve by crying all the time? Ever think that this 'poor us' mindset might have something to do with why so many of your race never do shit with their lives?

Pointing out inequality, or that a system is favoring some over others is not really whining, or crying... and realising that things may be stacked against certain types of people is not the same as refusing to go out there and try hard, or whatever.

There is white priviledge, and there is institutionalized racism, and there is cultural baggage, cultural power and other factors swimming around us all the time. No harm in pointing it out, is there?

The more we all pay attention to the world around us the better.

Pointing out inequality, or that a system is favoring some over others is not really whining, or crying... and realising that things may be stacked against certain types of people is not the same as refusing to go out there and try hard, or whatever.

There is white priviledge, and there is institutionalized racism, and there is cultural baggage, cultural power and other factors swimming around us all the time. No harm in pointing it out, is there?

I'd pay particular attention to the "baggage" if I were you, and forget to claim it.

Yes, I've been paying attention. It's come to my attention that what they call "white privilege" is basically just WHITES WORKING HARD TO PROVIDE FOR THEMSELVES AND THEIRS.

Blacks don't have "black privilege" --- at least not that's made by themselves --- because they tend NOT TO WORK HARD.

The only "black privilege" is affirmative action... which whites created, by the way.

it's class priviledge, not white priviledge. A middleclass black person has more priviledge in society because of their class than a poor white person. I grew up as a poor white cultural minority and I got nothing out of being white. In fact my dialect, accent and background of extreme poverty held me back. But I didn't let it stop me, just made it a lot harder. If you want and you're willing to put in the work and effort to get it, you've got a whole hell of a lot better chance of getting it.

The source(article), which was attached to the first post is obviously some Doctoral students opinion and it almost seems self hatred of being white and of the white race. Or, maybe I shouldn't say race, as the article's writer doesn't beleive that white people see themselves as a race of people and that we just seem to see ourselves as clear. I'm sorry people, but that's about the biggest crock or horsesh#t I've ever heard. I'm white, I see myself as a race just as any other. I have friends of all races and would never claim any of them to be clear. That's just a deragatory statement within itself in only the 2nd paragraph of the entire document. Anyone can have a perspective on the world and see it in a different view. That's fine. Just don't act like white people caused all of the problems for blacks and for the wrongdoing of this country. Black slaves were sold by black slave masters to white master's. Exactly where does this come up in the conversation. There is an entire other argument for this conversation and it could go on forever. Everyone wants to put blame on things that happened hundreds of years ago. That's the way it turned out, accept it, move on, stop bitching, and look at your own self to see what you can accomplish in life.

it's class priviledge, not white priviledge. A middleclass black person has more priviledge in society because of their class than a poor white person. I grew up as a poor white cultural minority and I got nothing out of being white. In fact my dialect, accent and background of extreme poverty held me back. But I didn't let it stop me, just made it a lot harder. If you want and you're willing to put in the work and effort to get it, you've got a whole hell of a lot better chance of getting it.

I think there is both white priviledge and class priviledge. In general blacks are victims of both, while most whites are only victims of one.

Bullshit!

In the US black folk have just as much "privilege" as the white folk. We all have the same opportunities. Compare us to other countries and they have it it so well here they are kings and queens of the fucking world. I am sick of this, starting to think the KKK may have a damned point the more I see this shit.

The source(article), which was attached to the first post is obviously some Doctoral students opinion and it almost seems self hatred of being white and of the white race. Or, maybe I shouldn't say race, as the article's writer doesn't beleive that white people see themselves as a race of people and that we just seem to see ourselves as clear. I'm sorry people, but that's about the biggest crock or horsesh#t I've ever heard. I'm white, I see myself as a race just as any other. I have friends of all races and would never claim any of them to be clear. That's just a deragatory statement within itself in only the 2nd paragraph of the entire document. Anyone can have a perspective on the world and see it in a different view. That's fine. Just don't act like white people caused all of the problems for blacks and for the wrongdoing of this country. Black slaves were sold by black slave masters to white master's. Exactly where does this come up in the conversation. There is an entire other argument for this conversation and it could go on forever. Everyone wants to put blame on things that happened hundreds of years ago. That's the way it turned out, accept it, move on, stop bitching, and look at your own self to see what you can accomplish in life.

The Bass hears this same BS all the damn time so now he will address it, what does the fact that some Africans sold slaves to white purchasers have to do with the treatment and inequality and white supremacist foundation and treatment of African Americans? The Africans who sold blacks into slavery didn't enact laws of in equality in America, they didn't enact Jim Crow and racial discrimination in America, so bringing them up has nothing to do with what has happened in America, period.

Like it or not jackass, the racial structure we see in America today didn't have its origins today in this age, it had its origins hundreds of years back, so until one accepts that fact and quit telling black people not to look at the past you will forever never understand the plight of those whose shoes you have never walked in.

Bullshit!

In the US black folk have just as much "privilege" as the white folk

No everyone does *NOT* have everything equal in America, not even a white woman as yourself you idiot, why do you think they have affirmative for women?.

Aaah ... but it has passed it's time, we do have equal rights now, so we just let it be after we won. If not for the fact that we are needed as incubators we would be completely the same as men in the country, but that one requirement does make a few differences inherent.

On a side note, only 36% of the population is white men ... so yeah ... some "majority" there. They don't get treated better no matter how you spin it, and being white does not guarantee a damned thing. When you quit whining about what's in the past then people won't hate you as often ... :eusa_whistle:

Aaah ... but it has passed it's time, we do have equal rights now, so we just let it be after we won. If not for the fact that we are needed as incubators we would be completely the same as men in the country, but that one requirement does make a few differences inherent.

No that time has not passed, explain why white women earn far less than white men for doing the same job when experience and qualifications of white women are equal and or exceed that of white men?

On a side note, only 36% of the population is white men ... so yeah ... some "majority" there. They don't get treated better no matter how you spin it, and being white does not guarantee a damned thing. When you quit whining about what's in the past then people won't hate you as often ... :eusa_whistle:

Yeah, white men only 36% of the population yet they hold almost 95% of the senior executive positions and leadership positions in America, thats equality right? Their being white and male has a lot to do with it.

No that time has not passed, explain why white women earn far less than white men for doing the same job when experience and qualifications of white women are equal and or exceed that of white men?

So how's that Affirmative Action work exactly?

Yeah, white men only 36% of the population yet they hold almost 95% of the senior executive positions and leadership positions in America, thats equality right? Their being white and male has a lot to do with it.

I suspect the fact that women bear children and carry the primary responsiblity for raising them, and the fact that so many of your bros are more interested in being jocks (cuts down on the amount of learning required....) had something to do with that.

You might take a lesson from some of your own role models.

[excerpt]
Liberals aren’t actually interested in diversity, they’re interested in using the pursuit of diversity as a weapon.

When naming the first woman or minority to a particular position, if democrats cannot in some way benefit from it they don’t talk about it or pretend it didn’t happen.

Justice Clarence Thomas is a prime example of this. Because he’s not a radical leftist nothing he does counts for anything in the eyes of most liberals and more importantly most blacks.

Sen. Claire McCaskill made the stunning claim yesterday on Fox News that Obama’s nomination of Sotomayor was important, because no one currently on the court comes from an impoverished background. “That’s something new,” she added.

I suspect that was the moment Justice Clarence Thomas kicked his TV over. Not only is Thomas a black man sitting on the Supreme Court (appointed by a republican), but he comes from the poorest background imaginable.

In his memoirs, Thomas recounts a childhood of poverty that judge Sotomayor could not in her wildest dreams imagine. She grew up like royalty compared to the adversity that Thomas faced.

McCaskill’s claim is one of the most ignorant statements ever uttered. But it speaks to the larger point that in McCaskill’s eyes and in the eyes of most liberals Sotomayor really would be the first.

Clarence Thomas is a black conservative which makes him both an enemy to democrats and an enemy to most blacks.

What he believes and what he’s accomplished in life mean nothing. As far as most liberals are concerned there is no black man on the Supreme Court.

You see the same kind of treatment when it comes to Colin Powell and Condoleezza Rice.

Colin Powell was the first black Chairman of the Joint Chiefs and the first black Secretary of State, but did you ever hear the media cooing about that? Nope. Never.

Did you get a chance to read all those columns in the NY Times during the last eight years about what a progressive guy Bush was for putting so many black people in positions of power? Me either, I’m still trying to find them.

Had he been a democrat appointed by a democrat you would hear about it ad nauseam for years even decades to come.

Dr. Condoleezza Rice who herself came from very impoverished beginnings in the south when racism was at its very worst.

Rice was the first black national security adviser and a woman to boot. She went on to be the first black female Secretary of State. Once again, did you hear the media gushing about any of that? Not just no, but hell no!

Like Powell, she’s a republican appointed to a position of power by republicans. Therefore, those “firsts” don’t count. Like Clarence Thomas, Rice and Powell are also heretics and enemies of both democrats (Powell not so much lately) and most blacks.

Think about how significant it is that both of president Bush’s Secretary of State picks were African-American. I don’t remember ever reading a column or magazine article applauding president Bush for appointing so many minorities to his cabinet. You can imagine the books, movies, documentaries, and monuments that would have been created to honor a democratic president for doing the exact same thing.

It’s interesting that the party most often labeled “racist” is also the party that has put more minorities in positions of power. Unlike democrats, this wasn’t done to make a political statement they were simply the best people for the job.

Republicans should not bow to political correctness on Sonia Sotomayor. They should ignore her ethnicity and gender (no matter how many times liberals bring it up) and focus on her judicial record.

It’s pointless to fret about being called a racist, because liberals are always going to call throw that bomb around no matter what.

If you’re a republican and you dare to question a liberal you WILL be labeled racist, sexist, homophobe, bigot, hatemonger, and any combination of those. Get over it.

I believe the American people by and large can see through the race baiting and identity politics the democrats so often play.

The important thing is for republicans to challenge Sotomayor’s record and show the American people why judicial activists like her are bad for the country.

There’s little doubt that Sotomayor will eventually be confirmed. However, republicans can still count it as a win if they present an effective case to the public about why she’s a judicial activist and what that means for them.

The most important thing for republicans to remember is that by not engaging on issues the democrats have labeled as racially sensitive it only make things worse.

Playing the race and gender card has been such a success for democrats over the years that they’re using it more and more.

Republicans need to aggressively make their case and let the chips fall where they may.

Minorities Only Count If They’re Liberal - Clarence Thomas - Zimbio

You didn't have to stoop to name calling. I was just pointing out my honest opinion about the article posted at the beginning of this thread. I've always wondered why everyone talks about slavery and how it affects them now in the U.S. with the way everyone has tried(obviously not everyone) to move on and make their lives and others better. Sure, I could sit hear and bitch about my roman ancestors and how they may or may not have been put into slavery in those days hundreds of years ago and how that may affect me now, but I don't because the past is the past. Also, if african slave owners selling slaves to white men has nothing to do with what happened eventually when the U.S. began slavery then let me ask this. Did those slave owners beleive the white men were going to take those slaves and put them on a pedestal and treat them with high respect and courtesy? I think not. That's because there were ALREADY slaves to begin with. Anyway, these are just my own thoughts. Talk soon, see ya

Forum List

Back