Uncomfortable

“Required” nothing.

So, doing the right thing is enough in itself?

“Right Thing” is subjective. ....

No, it's really not, but if you think so then what is it to you?

Yes it is. There is no such thing as “right thing”. You need to go back to school.

I've been there. Apparently your education has not equipped you to understand what I'm saying.

You’re preaching your subjective righteousness. The fact that you teach others is mind boggling. You need to check yourself.

Morality is universal or it is not morality. It may be opinion, culture, convenience, circumstance, but not morality.

You have discovered that people of all nationalities can be assholes. Just laugh at them and their stupidity, make fun of them if you want, and go on about your day. Don't be a moron though and blame/assume everyone from that race/sex/religion is the same in that behavior.

.....Should I punch Right Winger and JoeB for being antisemites? Come on man.

Again, your only two choices are punching them or encouraging them to be antisemites? Nothing else?

I don't know. I might have said something to them in Spanish just for the shock value on their faces. Heh. But that's just me.

I was going to have a word with them, but when they recognized that I understood what they were saying and was heading their way, they quickly found things to do elsewhere.

So I’m in my local grocery store this morning picking up some fresh produce to make a nice lunch for my son after football practice and I notice a couple of workers restocking one section of the produce area. They are chatting with each other in Spanish, which is fine, when a few customers walk past them who happened to be Asian. The two of them start talking, apparently without concern, making all manner of very inappropriate comments about Asian people ( they were referring to them as Chinese, of course, which is something that a lot of ignorant people do as a blanket term for anyone from anywhere in Asia). They were not whispering to each other either. Obviously they assumed no Asian customers would understand what they were saying so they were standing 4 or 5 feet away making openly racist, insulting comments. When they noticed that I was looking at them clearly understanding what they said and walking towards their area they quickly found someplace else to be. And that was it. Not the end of the world, not a civil rights crisis, but something that made me feel pretty uncomfortable about where some people still are with their whole attitude about these things.

1. Some people on USMB only think white people are racist to "brown" people so ain't this a kick in the head?

2. I acknowledge I live in my own little bubble but anyone who thinks "Asia" is a monolith should learn just the basic different between, say, the Chinese standard pentatonic scale and the dissonance of the Indonesian Gamelan orchestra. Not even close to the same.

But what do I know

Again, your only two choices are punching them or encouraging them to be antisemites? Nothing else?

I don't know. I might have said something to them in Spanish just for the shock value on their faces. Heh. But that's just me.

I was going to have a word with them, but when they recognized that I understood what they were saying and was heading their way, they quickly found things to do elsewhere.

Yeah I'm not sure why you're getting dragged here. This is the racism forum and you recounted a racist encounter you had. You didn't make like BBQ Becky and turn anyone in to the police....so what's the big deal? You were just going to say something. That's how free speech works IMO. Someone says something you don't like, you can walk away, you can give them Side Eye, you can say something back.

I just don't see the big deal I guess, or why you're getting dragged.

Yeah I'm not sure why you're getting dragged here. This is the racism forum and you recounted a racist encounter you had. You didn't make like BBQ Becky and turn anyone in to the police....so what's the big deal? You were just going to say something. That's how free speech works IMO. Someone says something you don't like, you can walk away, you can give them Side Eye, you can say something back.

I just don't see the big deal I guess, or why you're getting dragged.

Dunno. Some folks just get a bug in their britches sometimes, I guess. I'm up 3-5 AM to catch the Sumo tournament in Nagoya live off the satellite and too tired to give much attention to whatever insecurities were triggered by what I agree was a pretty innocuous OP.

So I’m in my local grocery store this morning picking up some fresh produce to make a nice lunch for my son after football practice and I notice a couple of workers restocking one section of the produce area. They are chatting with each other in Spanish, which is fine, when a few customers walk past them who happened to be Asian. The two of them start talking, apparently without concern, making all manner of very inappropriate comments about Asian people ( they were referring to them as Chinese, of course, which is something that a lot of ignorant people do as a blanket term for anyone from anywhere in Asia). They were not whispering to each other either. Obviously they assumed no Asian customers would understand what they were saying so they were standing 4 or 5 feet away making openly racist, insulting comments. When they noticed that I was looking at them clearly understanding what they said and walking towards their area they quickly found someplace else to be. And that was it. Not the end of the world, not a civil rights crisis, but something that made me feel pretty uncomfortable about where some people still are with their whole attitude about these things.
I think it's the time in our culture that we need to have thought police to monitor what we think.
All in favor say, "I".

Who really cares? Expressing how a person feels is not on, or ever will be on my radar.

Is making jackass racist comments "expressing how a person feels"? Are they bearing their souls and plumbing the depths of their feeeeeelings, or just being assholes? And if some punks are out in a public space with you looking at some 'X' (race, gender, religion, etc) people making jackass comments because they know they won't be heard or understood, you wouldn't even notice? Not talking about smiting them with your swift sword of justice, just asking if it wouldn't so much as catch your attention?

You sound super hurt.
Need a tissue?

We Poles have been dealing with worse abuse for decades in the USA.

I don't respect idiots who whine when they support multiculturalism, but then complain
About it's enrichments like importing people who don't get along.

I think it's the time in our culture that we need to have thought police to monitor what we think.
All in favor say, "I".

Who really cares? Expressing how a person feels is not on, or ever will be on my radar.

Is making jackass racist comments "expressing how a person feels"? Are they bearing their souls and plumbing the depths of their feeeeeelings, or just being assholes? And if some punks are out in a public space with you looking at some 'X' (race, gender, religion, etc) people making jackass comments because they know they won't be heard or understood, you wouldn't even notice? Not talking about smiting them with your swift sword of justice, just asking if it wouldn't so much as catch your attention?

You sound super hurt.
Need a tissue?

We Poles have been dealing with worse abuse for decades in the USA.

I don't respect idiots who whine when they support multiculturalism, but then complain
About it's enrichments like importing people who don't get along.

You're not Polish. We know this.

"we Poles".

Do something that makes you proud of you, other than this tenuous hold on being "Polish. NO ONE CARES

Forum List

Back