Uncomfortable

Tell them to F off and go about your business. I hear Antisemitic remarks frequently. It doesn’t bother me.

But you notice, right? And you do nothing? Keep your head down and move on?

Personally, I don't bother to confront the assholes unless there's a need to actually defend the target. If appropriate, I say something to their boss or whoever else is nominally responsible for them. But arguing with idiots is a losing game, since it's not possible to make them intelligent.

In KSA being gay is immoral. That is not the case in the US unless you’re a devout Christian and even they don’t behead you.

Conflicting understanding of morality does not change its universality. In terms you might understand: sometimes people are wrong in what they think is moral or not. Humans are fallible after all.

Morality is subjective. Period. End of story.

It is not. That’s not what the concept is.

Except it is. The fact that you’re a teacher is scary.

Only your own willful ignorance need scare you.

Keep dodging.

In KSA being gay is immoral. That is not the case in the US unless you’re a devout Christian and even they don’t behead you.

Conflicting understanding of morality does not change its universality. In terms you might understand: sometimes people are wrong in what they think is moral or not. Humans are fallible after all.

He is a good one

Usually on this board you and I agree. On this topic we most certainly disagree

Except it is. ...

You’re confusing the liberal political orthodoxy you have swallowed hook line and sinker with a philosophical concept.

I am? When did we define the operational definition that we are using? Please cite. Thanks.

He is a good one

Usually on this board you and I agree. On this topic we most certainly disagree

Your making me uncomfortable here..

I like you both.

Only your own willful ignorance need scare you.

Keep dodging.

Dodging what?

Except it is. ...

You’re confusing the liberal political orthodoxy you have swallowed hook line and sinker with a philosophical concept.

I am? When did we define the operational definition that we are using? Please cite. Thanks.

Again we come to the limitations of your education.

Except it is. ...

Opinions vary. Your reality is not mine.

Except it is. ...

That's not how it works. Maybe you could go back to school and learn something about it.

Except it is. ...

That's not how it works. Maybe you could go back to school and learn something about it.

Philosophy is not an exact science. Maybe you should STFU you prancing Nancy boy.

Philosophy is not an exact science. .....

Why not take the time to learn something about it? Then we could have more productive discussions.

So I’m in my local grocery store this morning picking up some fresh produce to make a nice lunch for my son after football practice and I notice a couple of workers restocking one section of the produce area. They are chatting with each other in Spanish, which is fine, when a few customers walk past them who happened to be Asian. The two of them start talking, apparently without concern, making all manner of very inappropriate comments about Asian people ( they were referring to them as Chinese, of course, which is something that a lot of ignorant people do as a blanket term for anyone from anywhere in Asia). They were not whispering to each other either. Obviously they assumed no Asian customers would understand what they were saying so they were standing 4 or 5 feet away making openly racist, insulting comments. When they noticed that I was looking at them clearly understanding what they said and walking towards their area they quickly found someplace else to be. And that was it. Not the end of the world, not a civil rights crisis, but something that made me feel pretty uncomfortable about where some people still are with their whole attitude about these things.

There are always going to be people like that. The idea that racism will one day become eradicated is a myth.

I used to have that problem when I was a manager for a food establishment. I would have waitresses that were Hispanics and they would speak to each other in Spanish. I have told them (in English) that they need to start talking in English. I don't care if they talk in Spanish at home or outside the workplace. But at work, they are required to speak English - since we are a Speaking-English restaurant. Of course, I got insults thrown at me - in Spanish. I asked what they were saying, and then I sent them home for the day.

Man, I must be a racist. Lol

Philosophy is not an exact science. .....

Why not take the time to learn something about it? Then we could have more productive discussions.

I know about it and discussions with you are never productive.

I know about it ....

Ok, great. What is your education in the subject?

Why do you care? ......

You said, "I know about it." I'm curious upon what you base that claim, that's all.

I took a class in it in HS. .....

One class...in...high school....

I see...

AP History my senior year was Philosophy. It was cool but not an exact science sans the part about logic and mathematics. Did you take any AP classes? No? I see....

Forum List

Back